TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 20-Jan-2015, 6:23 PM   #1
mainer

High Def Tv antenna install

My location where I want to install antenna.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...d2437df7c92515

I have no existing antenna. I had a subscription for Direct tv but it has been cancelled. The home has coaxial cable installed in all rooms. I currently have Comcast internet on the coaxial cable. No splitters. I live in a high wind area at the house. Wind tunnel effect. I would like to receive the local channels and PBS. I have not purchased a antenna yet. Thank you for any and all help.
mainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Jan-2015, 7:02 PM   #2
Jake V

It all depends on what you want.

Your TV Fool Report includes a number of translators. Here's some additional information:

Translator / Real Channel # / Call Sign / Network
K19GH-D 19 KSLR (Fox, MyN)
KHWB-LD 38 Religious
K21FS-D 21 KEPB (PBS)
KEVU-CD 23 (MyN)
K11GT-D 11 KEZI (ABC, Me-TV)
KORY-CA 41 ??
KAMK-LD 49 KBLN (3ABN)
K14LP-D 14 (ION/Qubo/ION Life)
K20IR-D 20 (Oregon PBS)
K22HO-D 22 KOBI (NBC, This TV)
K40IS-D 40 KSLR, KEVU (Fox, MyN)
K42HK-D 42 KEZI (ABC, Me-TV)
K44JP-D 44 KPTV, KPDX (Fox, MyN)
K46IP-D 46 KVAL (CBS, This TV, Grit)
K47AV-D 47 KEVU (MyN)
K48KC-D 48 KTMR, KMTR (News 16, CW)
K50CT-D 50 Religious
K14GW-D 14 KSLR, KEVU (Fox, My TV)

Your easiest solution is to use a DB-8e with one panel pointed at 257 degrees and the other at about 345 degrees for the UHF channels, with a Y5713 at about 345 degrees for the VHF HI channels.

However, I'd look up each of your channels shown in green and yellow to make a list of the the main and subchannels (shown as 13.1, 13.2, etc.). [You can use rabbitears.info or wiki). Then I'd compare them to the list of translators shown above to determine if there is anything you really want to have from the stations to the south. Examples might be "This TV" or "Grit" or "CW" networks, or maybe a different Fox or CBS affiliate (which can often carry a different football game in the fall). I'd then make a full list of what was wanted, making it look like your TV Fool Report and post it.

One possibility might be to remove the reflector from one panel of the DB-8e and aim it to 173 degrees to try for the station to the south (and pick up the ones in green at 345 degrees off the back). I'd certainly try it, but they are less strong so you'd need a clear view to the south (no buildings, no trees).

But these are higher end solutions, and you may have a more restrictive budge or just really want only the stations in green and yellow.

Also, wait for the experts to comment.
Jake V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Jan-2015, 7:26 PM   #3
Jake V

OK, I had a few minutes and looked up the rest (all the green and yellow at 257 and 345):

KVAL-DT 13 (CBS, This TV, Grit)
KEZI-DG 9 (ABC, Me-TV)
KMTR-DT 18 (NBC, CW)
KEPB-DT 29 (PBS)
K19GH-D 19 KSLR (Fox, MyN)
KHWB-LD 38 Religious
KLSR-DT 31 (Fox)
K21FS-D 21 KEPB (PBS)
KEVU-CD 23 (MyN)
KOAC-DT 7 (PBS)
K11GT-D 11 KEZI (ABC, Me-TV)
KORY-CA 41 ??
KAMK-LD 49 KBLN (3ABN)

This information should make it possible that you don't need the stations from the translators to the south. As above, your easiest solution is to use a DB-8e with one panel pointed at 257 degrees and the other at about 345 degrees for the UHF channels, with a Y5713 at about 345 degrees for the VHF HI channels.
Old 21-Jan-2015, 6:53 PM   #4
mainer

Thank you Jake V for your assistance. What tool do you use for pointing the panels at the settings you mention. Sorry for the dumb question.
Old 21-Jan-2015, 7:26 PM   #5
Jake V

Use a compass. You can get borrow one or purchase one a WalMart for about $7. This is the compass I have. The compass on your smartphone is not overly accurate.

An alternate is to re-do your plot at this link, then switch to "Satellite" view (click on "Satellite" at top right), zoom all the way in, then click on "Show lines pointing to each transmitter". You can the lines from your location to the towers to pick out landmarks that can assist in pointing the antennas. It's not quite as accurate, but then you can move the antenna a bit to the left and/or right until you find the sweet spot.
Old 23-Jan-2015, 6:00 PM   #6
mainer

I was looking at the Channel master telescoping antenna mast for mounting the antenna. What height do you recommend for the DB-8e antenna.
Old 23-Jan-2015, 10:32 PM   #7
GroundUrMast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainer View Post
I was looking at the Channel master telescoping antenna mast for mounting the antenna. What height do you recommend for the DB-8e antenna.
The ideal location/height is usually that which clears nearby obstructions such as trees and buildings. If there are no obstructions to deal with, your report indicates that many signals are LOS (line of sight) which should make them easy to receive without taking extraordinary measures.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote