TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 25-Jan-2015, 4:26 PM   #1
JGoodwin

Roof top tripod question

I have a DB4e antenna with an antenna craft Y10713 going on a 7' mast, that will be sitting in a tripod on the roof. Do you think guy wired are needed? I live in a windy area. If so how do you install the guy wires to the mast? How far apart do the antennas have to be for best reception?
JGoodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Jan-2015, 4:58 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

The antennas need at least 3' of space between one another. Usually UHF at the top and VHF below yields the best results.

My most recent tripod install was a 5' (nominal) Rohn unit. I took the time to add structural blocking on the underside of the roof deck using screws and glue to transfer the load to the rafters and to have plenty of material to sink lag bolts into as I secured each foot to the roof deck. This has given me a solid base for the 10.5' chain-link fence top rail (1.375" OD) that I chose for the mast. I've got a total three antennas and other accessories on the mast and have been through several storms with no guy wire.

However, adding guy wire is certainly a reasonable option. Here is an example of an off the shelf clamp that is intended for such an application: http://www.3starinc.com/adjustable_3...enna_mast.html

Common eyed lag bolts into the roof deck and rafter or blocking would be plenty of anchorage.

Of course, you'll want to seal with an appropriate roofing cement/sealant and check/service it regularly to avoid leaks.

I also installed an antenna for my church. I fabricated a non penetrating base and used 1" IMC X 10' electrical conduit for the mast. I also fabricated a wall bracket to support the mast 3' to 4' above the base. (But this is on a flat roof that has a low 'penthouse' like section next to the antenna installation. No guy wire, and the system has made it through this winter including a couple of tree breaking storms.

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 25-Jan-2015 at 5:41 PM. Reason: Flat roof system & spacing
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Jan-2015, 10:36 PM   #3
Stereocraig

Not sure if I had some poor quality lag bolts, but I have had a few snap off.
Pilot holes, are a good idea in anything more than an inch or two and especially in hardwoods.
If you're unable to hit all three rafter centers, 2x4 blocks are a great idea and the longer, the better.
Stereocraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Jan-2015, 6:31 AM   #4
GroundUrMast

Yes, I've twisted off a few lag screws in my time as well. Taking the time to select the correct pilot drill is time well spent. The lag will be easier to drive and will hold more securely while greatly reducing the chance of splitting the structural member you're fastening into.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote