TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 25-Jan-2014, 8:15 PM   #1
hops

Need Antenna Recomendation - attic in oregon

We cut Comcast down to internet/phone only a few months ago.
I put up some shark fin looking thing, only to be disappointed in the channels we receive. I would like an attic install, due to regular high winds at our location. I know this isn't ideal, but it affects what we get now with the antenna on the "sheltered" side of the house.

Analysis: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...5b946ff7803df9

Looks like I need high vhf and uhf for the channels we want(2,6,8,10,12,49 plus what ever else comes in).
2-3 tv's(2 "hd" lcd 1 tube w/hd box), antenna 12 ft. from home run box, 15ft./50ft./and looong from there. Not too worried about the 3rd tv at this point, just a plus if it can pull a signal.

And, of course, price point matters, but I don't want to do it twice either.

So, what antenna do ya'll recommend?
hops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Jan-2014, 3:14 AM   #2
teleview

+=>
----
The Tv/s Must Channel Scan for the , ATSC-Digital Broadcast Tv Stations Channels , often named the ~ DTV Antenna Channels ~ ATSC-Channels ~ Air Channels ~ in the Tv Setup Menu because the Tv transmissions travel through the Air from the transmitting antenna to the receiving antenna.

Some Digital Tv's will Automatic channel scan for cable Tv channels.

DO NOT channel scan for cable Tv channels.

Go into the Tv Setup Menu and select ~ DTV Antenna Channels ~ ATSC-Channels ~ Air Channels ~.

Channel scan for the , ATSC-Digital Broadcast Tv Channels.
Old 26-Jan-2014, 4:13 AM   #3
teleview

+=>
----
Cable delivered services , be it , cable Tv stervice , cable Internet service , cable phone service , -->Must Not<-->Can Not<--be connected to the antenna and coaxes that are used for the antenna system.

Cable delivered services -->Must Be<-->on a Separate coax.
Old 26-Jan-2014, 3:11 PM   #4
hops

We've already done both of the above.

We get stations 2.1,2.2,6.1,22's,32's,49, along with some hispanic stations we don't watch that all cut out due to wind and sometimes rain. Not that we have had much rain this season.

Specifically we do not receive 8(nbc),10(opb), and 12(fox) at all. It looks like those run on vhf, and since the other stations cut out, I figured we could install a different antenna to cover all the required frequencies.

The goal here is to have reliable service for the big networks.
Old 26-Jan-2014, 4:15 PM   #5
teleview

+=>
----
Above the Peak of the Roof install a , www.antennacraft.net , HBU44 antenna aimed at about 250 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antenna , www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html

Use a Real and Actual magnetic compass to aim antenna.

--------

Here are some above the roof antenna mounts.

www.ronard.com/909911.html
Use the , ronard(911) , 5 foot tripod antenna mount.

www.ronard.com/Tripods%200703/4712.html
Use the , ronard (4712-50-10) , tripod antenna mount.

www.ronard.com/ychim.html
Measure around the chimney and use a , ronard(2213) , ronard(2218) , ronard(2224) .

Buy the ronard antenna mounts at , www.ronard.com , or , www.amazon.com

--------

Install a , RCA , TVPRAMP1R , preamplifier.

-------

For 1 Tv connected use No splitter.

For 2 Tv's connected use a , Holland Electronics , HFS-2D , 2 way splitter.

For 3 Tv's connected use a , Holland Electronics , HFS-3D , 3 way splitter.

Buy the , HFS-2D and HFS-3D , splitters at , www.hollandelectronics.com , or , www.amazon.com .

Last edited by teleview; 30-Jan-2014 at 3:23 AM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 26-Jan-2014, 6:34 PM   #6
GroundUrMast

I suspect that a smaller antenna would be needed if mounted a bit higher, above the peak of the roof. You can test that theory for free, just run a TV Fool report for the higher elevation...

In the attic, I'd agree that a lager antenna as suggested by teleview would be appropriate. In the end, attics can be awful locations for reliable reception.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 26-Jan-2014 at 6:51 PM.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-Jan-2014, 2:37 AM   #7
hops

The HBU44 is HUGE! just fits between the rafters. It's just sitting up there, with an "eyeball" aim.

We are getting most of the prior listed channels, plus the ones we wanted to pick up. I can watch the Super Bowl now!!!

There still seems to be hiccups at this point. (2 and 49 so far, I just put it in the attic tonight)

1. Can this be due to the lack of a mast? (thought i had something, will have to go grab something this weekend)

2. Think the addition of a preamplifier would help?

3. Is the Leviton passive six-way splitter that I already had quality enough? (Only two tv's plugged in and it fits in the structured panel I put in a while back)

Anything else I need to look into, other than putting it outside?

And, thank you, thank you for the help.