TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 4-Sep-2014, 12:21 PM   #1
tenjed

Help with NFL football games please!

I live in the Chicago area and recently mounted a rooftop antenna. While I can get the Bears game and some of the other major network games this way, I'm looking for suggestions on how to be able to view the other NFL games.

My question is are there are any ways (for free) to stream/watch games on a smart TV? Now that I cut the Comcast bill to internet only, I'd rather not pay again for cable or Sunday ticket for just the NFL season.

Thanks for your help and all suggestions are appreciated!
tenjed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-Sep-2014, 12:38 PM   #2
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Quote:
are there are any ways (for free) to stream/watch games on a smart TV?
Not legally.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-Sep-2014, 3:46 PM   #3
GroundUrMast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
Not legally.
Are you saying that a privately owned tuner output can not be viewed remotely via an Internet connection?

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-Sep-2014, 3:51 PM   #4
ADTech

Nope, didn't even think of the Slingbox-type arrangement. Oops!

I was thinking more of the temporary streaming sites that pop up.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Old 4-Sep-2014, 4:06 PM   #5
GroundUrMast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
Nope, didn't even think of the Slingbox-type arrangement. Oops!

I was thinking more of the temporary streaming sites that pop up.
Thanks... I was thinking of Slingbox and the new tuners that SiliconDust has come out with recently. Silicon Dust has one with a built-in hardware codec that converts the high bandwidth MPEG2 data stream to an H.264 which is far less demanding if streamed across a VPN connection.

To the OP, this would require you to have an antenna, tuner and some combination of Internet connection at a location that has OTA signals you're interested in. If you want to see many different markets, you would need to build and operate many antennas and tuners in remote locations.

Old 4-Sep-2014, 4:14 PM   #6
tenjed

I'm new to this and not familiar with a Slingbox. Is this some type of device that allows me to pull in a TV signal from another city and stream it to my smart TV? If so, does the device need to be installed on my TV or the other city? For example, I live in Chicago and also want to watch the games shown in Seattle and New York. Does a Slingbox allow me access to the TV signals from those two cities? Thanks for the help and patience with me!
Old 4-Sep-2014, 4:38 PM   #7
GroundUrMast

To watch TV from Seattle and New York, you'll need hardware in both citys. The SiliconDust product and their competitors are now making tuners that are compatible with DNLA capable smart TVs. So it's possible you could already have all the hardware you need for viewing.

Depending on the remote tuner used, you may need a VPN firewall at each location. This would provide what looks like a local LAN connection from each remote site to your home LAN.

This is not a simple plug and play solution. It would require understanding and skill with antennas, tuners, LAN hardware and configuration.

Old 4-Sep-2014, 4:43 PM   #8
ADTech

... as well as a very good friend who is in a suitable location for an antenna and who will allow you the access to their broadband service.

Old 4-Sep-2014, 4:45 PM   #9
tenjed

Thank you for the help. Much appreciated.
Old 5-Sep-2014, 7:57 AM   #10
teleview

+=>

http://www.tablotv.com.

Is now out of the testing phase.

The receiver can be placed at a different location where reception is better , like at a relatives house or etc. , and the Tablo streams via the internet to your location or portable device.

The Tablo web site is interesting because , the web site has the word , Truth , Big Red Letters.

Truth is a interesting word now days. Say it out loud and watch peoples reactions.

-------------------------

http://www.sling.com.

Has device that does streaming on the internet.

The Sing web site is not the easy to understand because the information is aimed straight at the ego , feel better.

So will need to contact sling to get practical and useful information.

Saying that you will like to receive the NFL is not the correct way to talk about the situation.

You will need to know what devices are required and what tuner devices can be connected to Sling. With out the correct devices you will not be watching the NFL.

The Sling will be located where reception can happen.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.tivo.com. Looks like the newest Tivo box does streaming on the internet.

The Tivo will be located where reception of the channel/s you will like to receive can happen.

Last edited by teleview; 6-Sep-2014 at 8:38 PM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.