TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 2-Mar-2010, 8:31 PM   #1
ktterry99

Need help choosing best antenna

I'm sure this is a common request but based on my location, what is the best indoor antenna for me. I am not considering and outdoor antenna since it doesn't appear from the report that it would buy me any thing. I only need local stations. Thanks for your advice.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...b7c862b62b2cf1

K
ktterry99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-Mar-2010, 2:43 AM   #2
mtownsend

Hello and welcome!

A good indoor antenna for your situation is either the Philips PHDTV3 (also goes by the model number SDV2790/27) or the Terk HDTVa. Both of these do a pretty good job with UHF stations and have rabbit ears to help out with the VHF stations (KTBC and KAKW).

Quote:
I am not considering and outdoor antenna since it doesn't appear from the report that it would buy me any thing.
A better antenna in the attic or on the roof can help you get more stations out of San Antonio and Waco. If you don't care for any of the extra local programming that might be coming from those stations, then you're right, it doesn't buy you anything.

You might consider putting an antenna in the attic instead of the living room for other reasons. Attic antennas can be a little bigger and give you more reliable reception (reception won't be affected by things like people walking by, ground-level obstructions, etc.), the antenna can be hidden from sight (if you like to keep your TV area visibly clean), and it can provide signal that can be split to multiple rooms.

"Set-top" sized antennas tend to be small and have low sensitivity. They do work, but a slightly larger attic antenna would work better, and is probably very similar in cost. It's just a suggestion...
mtownsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-Mar-2010, 3:32 PM   #3
ktterry99

Thumbs up Antenna help

Great tips! Thank you so much for pointing me in the right direction. I think I will go for the attic installation.
ktterry99 is offline   Reply With Quote