TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 21-May-2015, 4:45 PM   #1
905dude

Antenna direction

Hi ... I'm curious where should I aim my antennas at ? I have Antennas Direct DB8e multi-directional, it's on my roof chimney . At the moment I'm using just a splitter which is beside the antenna . I get about 28 channels which is good but at times there channels that seem to fade in and out, like 2.1 - 2.2 - 2.3, 7.1 - 7.2 - 7.3, 29.1 - 49.1 . I'm curious if a pre amp would help, if so ? which type is best ? Below is my tvfool if I did it correctly

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...f1f05327b2cc8f

TIA ...

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 21-May-2015 at 9:04 PM. Reason: Modified TVFR link
905dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-May-2015, 12:55 PM   #2
Jake V

What direction is your DB8e aimed at right now?

Are both panels facing the same direction? If not, what direction is each panel facing?

I'd try aiming both panels at Buffalo (146 degrees on a compass) and see if you can get the Buffalo channels while keeping your Toronto channels. If you get the Buffalo channels but not the Toronto channels move your antenna one degree at a time from Buffalo towards Toronto to see if you can find a sweet spot. If that does not work, you can try aiming one panel at Buffalo and the other at Toronto (102 degrees on a compass). Set the panels so that they are 'outside corners'.

NBC (RF 33, 2.1) is at -12.5 dBm and will likely be impossible to get regularly.
Jake V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-May-2015, 1:00 PM   #3
905dude

@ Jake V .... First off thanks for responding to my post . My antenna one panel is point around 175 degree and the other one around 155 degree . I thought with 2 panels they had to be pointing in different directions, yes ? So I should move them more east . I'm curious will a Pre Amp help with those channels when there bad weather ( receptions ) And if so, which is best for this Antenna ? Thanks
Old 23-May-2015, 2:24 PM   #4
Jake V

I am not sure why you choose 175 degrees and 155 degrees, unless you want specific stations in those directions.

The DB-8e allows the two panels to be aimed in different directions. This is very useful for when you have channels in two different directions. However, your Toronto signals are strong, so they might be received off the side of the antenna. Therefore, a useful experiment is to aim both panels right at Buffalo for the highest gain, and the best chance of receiving the Buffalo signals reliably.

IMHO, the Buffalo stations you have a good chance at receiving are:

WNLO-DT 32 (23.1) CW - 146 degrees / 36.1 dBm
WNED-DT 43 (17.1) PBS - 146 degrees / 28.4 dBm
WUTV-DT 14 (29.1) FOX - 146 degrees / 23.6 dBm
WIVB-DT 39 (4.1) CBS - 150 degrees / 21.3 dBm
WKBW-DT 38 (7.1) ABC - 151 degrees / 17.7 dBm
WNYB-DT 26 (26.1) Ind - 173 degrees / 12.3 dBm
WYNO-TV 49 (49.1) MyN - 142 degrees / 8.3 dBm

WBBZ-TV 7 (67.1) MeTV at 155 will not be received by the DB-8 as it is a VHF HI station and would need a large dedicated VHF-HI antenna. But at -4.5 dBm it is unlikely to be received solidly.

WGRZ-DT 33 (2.1) NBC - 147 degrees is extremely weak at -12.5 and it is likely you will only get it unreliably

I'd re-set the DB-8e so that both panels are aimed in the exact same direction and aim at 147 degrees. The range of your signals from 142 to 151 is less than 10 degrees and both panels aimed in the same direction (147 degrees on a compass) is your best starting point for the Buffalo channels. I recommend doing this as an experiment, then make a list of both the Buffalo channels and the Toronto channels you receive together with what you are missing but want and post it here.
Old 23-May-2015, 2:35 PM   #5
Jake V

Follow-Up. If the experiment at aiming both panels of your DB-8e at Buffalo does not get your desired Toronto stations, then aim one panel at Buffalo (147 degrees) and the other at Toronto (102 degrees). Then make a second list of what you get and don't get but want.

Last edited by Jake V; 23-May-2015 at 11:02 PM. Reason: Typed 174 degrees but meant 147 degrees.
Old 23-May-2015, 4:13 PM   #6
905dude

Jake, Sorry for the misunderstanding but I just pointed it that way for no reason and those were the channels I'm getting . This is why I'm asking now where I should aim my panels . I'm all new to this stuff and I thought by my tvfool chart it would tell which place is best ... I will try your suggestion and see how it turn out . BTW NBC isn't that bad actually, only at certain times it can be but most of the time it's good ... Thanks

Last edited by 905dude; 23-May-2015 at 7:18 PM.
Old 23-May-2015, 10:10 PM   #7
905dude

Just an update . I now believe my antenna panels are pointing in the 175 degree or close to it . I'm still getting the same channels, maybe now I will have better receptions. It seem to be better ... Time will tell ... Thanks Jake
Old 23-May-2015, 11:01 PM   #8
Jake V

My apologies. I made a typo. Aim them both at Buffalo at 147 degrees. I typed 174 degrees but meant 147 degrees. Sorry to make you do this again.
Old 25-May-2015, 10:46 AM   #9
905dude

Here the funny part I actually did already have it aim at 147 degree or at least around there . I think I read the other post first were you say 147 . I'm not sure why I said 174 lol but any ways it's around 147 ... It been so far not to bad reception wise, though I'm curious if a Pre Amp would make it even better ?
Old 27-May-2015, 1:47 PM   #10
Jake V

First, how did you aim your DB-8e at 147 degrees (southeast)? Did you use a compass? How sure are you that it is aimed correctly?

Second, you can certainly try an amplifier. Try one with an easy return policy in case it does not work. I'll let others provide a specific recommendation. Your Toronto signals are pretty strong, though less signal would be collected by the antenna since it is pointed towards Buffalo.
Old 31-May-2015, 1:13 PM   #11
905dude

I just pointed toward the CN Tower by eye . I don't have a compass . Right now it's raining and cloudy skies and all the channels are coming in okay . Though when it's sunny sometime those channels can fade in and out but not for very long ... I'm curious does a degree here or there matter much ? Also, from where I am at ( Location ) there nothing blocking my view, no building or anything just a straight clear view down south

Last edited by 905dude; 31-May-2015 at 7:04 PM.
Old 31-May-2015, 7:07 PM   #12
mikelessard
No Pixels at All

Compass Apps

905dude - there are good compass apps for your smartphone. Most smartphones have a magnetometer. I use GPS status on Android. It tells you a slug of other cool things like speed/heading and elevation etc.
mikelessard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-May-2015, 10:48 PM   #13
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

I always tell my customer service phone reps that some smartphone compass apps are usually accurate to plus/minus 180°. Usually, you get what you pay for....

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-May-2015, 11:19 PM   #14
Jake V

905dude,

If you don't have a real compass, try this:

1. Go to: http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=14508
2. Enter your address and click "Map This".
3. At the top right of the map click on "Satellite".
4. When the screen updates zoom in using the zoom function at the left of the map.
5. As you zoom in, place the cursor over your house roof where your antenna is.
6. Just below the map, on the right side, click on "Show lines pointing to each transmitter".
7. Consider your house to be the center of a clock. The Toronto signals are at about 3 o'clock (to the east). The Buffalo signals are at about 5 o'clock (to the southeast). If you zoom in close you can identify the lines pointing to Buffalo and figure out the general direction your antenna needs to be aimed at.

If this doesn't work, I recommend getting a compass ($5 at Walmart). Or find a friend who has one and borrow it. From your previous post your DB-8e is aimed at Toronto (102 degrees - just south of east) when it should be aimed at Buffalo (147 degrees - southeast).

Jake
Old 26-Jun-2015, 10:42 PM   #15
905dude

Sorry for the long delay in responding . Thanks guys for your suggestions . My only problem seem to be at a certain time frame usually around 2pm to 5pm ... I might try the amp options and feed the power outlet line through my chimney afterwards I will know for sure if it will help ...
Old 26-Jun-2015, 11:32 PM   #16
Jake V

905dude,

In your post on May 31st (post #11) you said you pointed your antenna to the "CN Tower by eye". Did you ever re-point it at Buffalo? Pointing it at 147 could make all the difference in the world for the Buffalo channels.

Jake
Old 28-Jun-2015, 10:55 AM   #17
905dude

Not yet Jake but I will once the weather gets better . Been having a lot of rain lately ... Thanks
Old 29-Jun-2015, 1:33 AM   #18
Jake V

Do the aiming of the antenna towards Buffalo before thinking about the amp.

Using a compass is best to aim to 147 degrees. But if you don't have one you can guess decently by going to http://www.tvfool.com/index.php?opti...pper&Itemid=90 and mapping your house again. Then switch to satellite, zoom way in, and click to "Show lines pointing to each transmitter". You can compare the green and red lines pointing to the transmitters in Buffalo to the landscape and figure out what direction to point it at. Good luck.