TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 1-May-2015, 9:40 PM   #1
DJW

Antenna recommendations please

Just like so many others I've decided to pull the plug on cable. I would really appreciate some advice on what antenna to purchase. I have a mostly unobstructed view south in the direction of the local TV towers. I was thinking of an outdoor antenna set about 15 feet up on the roof of my house. I would also consider indoor antenna if you think that is a better option. THX'S

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...f1f01c744c7132
DJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-May-2015, 11:52 PM   #2
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Welcome, DJW:

Try an RCA ANT751 in the attic first, aimed about 145 degrees magnetic. Signal loss in the attic is difficult to predict. If it doesn't work there, put it outside.

You don't need an amplifier or an amplified antenna.

That antenna might not pick up KVMY, MyN on real channel 2, virtual channel 3.1. If that channel is important to you, and you don't get it with the 751, come back to this same thread and let us know.

If you do put it outside, the coax should be grounded with a grounding block that is connected to the house electrical system ground with 10 gauge copper wire for electrical safety. For further compliance with the electrical code (NEC), the mast should also be grounded in a similar manner to drain any buildup of static charge, but the system will not survive a direct strike.

You have some strong FM signals that might interfere with the reception of real VHF channels 7, 9, 11, and 13. If that is a problem, you will need an FM trap/filter.

Please let us know how it works out for you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DJWtvfFM2_1.jpg (163.5 KB, 485 views)

Last edited by rabbit73; 2-May-2015 at 12:53 AM.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote