TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 15-Nov-2013, 11:20 PM   #21
teleview

+=>
---------
At distance , and across hills mountains and across tree tops , Tv transmissions tend to shift up and down and side to side.

A single long yagi type antenna will be in the shifting path and out of the shifting signal path.

The broad flat serface of a 8 bay antenna tends to stay in the shifting signal path.
Old 15-Nov-2013, 11:36 PM   #22
StephanieS

Yes.

Which is why my signal varies 10 or so points on the meter during the day. The 1-edge conditions play with the signal's trajectory as you describe.

The 8 bay wasn't attractive in my application due to having so many strong signals close to me. With 65 db signal strengths @ 15 miles and LOS, if a 8 bay would catch more signal I off the sides and back, I feared overload. I preferred the stronger rejection properties of the yagi off the back and side.

Other than the coax jumper, it's been about what I expected. KLEW's weak signal and 1-edge, I had to keep expectations reasonable. I am overall satisfied with the 91xg and with the 12' jumper and paying 39 bucks for the 91xg, I am satisfied with 99% reliability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleview View Post
+=>
---------
At distance , and across hills mountains and across tree tops , Tv transmissions tend to shift up and down and side to side.

A single long yagi type antenna will be in the shifting path and out of the shifting signal path.

The broad flat serface of a 8 bay antenna tends to stay in the shifting signal path.

Last edited by StephanieS; 15-Nov-2013 at 11:39 PM.
StephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Nov-2013, 12:24 AM   #23
teleview

Day and night also has a strong effect on weak signal strength.

Sun Rise and Sun Set also has a strong effect on Tv reception.

A wire screen covering the reflector rods of the 8 bay will deflect more signal at the back of the 8 bay.

And increase forward gain.

Stucko wire , aka , chicken wire .

Also.

A 8 bay antenna has about the same reception on the sides as long yagi.

--------------

At Distance and etc. , Tv transmissions tend to rotate out of the horizontal polerized plane.

8 bays , that have the >< shaped reception elements , tend to receive transmissions that have rotated out of the horizontal polerized plane.

-----------

And some Tv stations transmit a Circular Polerized and or Eliptical Polerized signal.

www.rabbitears.info , has a list of stations.

Last edited by teleview; 16-Nov-2013 at 2:10 PM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 16-Nov-2013, 11:29 AM   #24
StephanieS

Yes.

I researched this. The beam patterns of the 8 bay bowtie designs and the 91xg were close, however the 91xg's pattern is a little more narrow. I knew I was going to get a lot of power off back quarter of the antenna (and just off the front side outside the beamwidth is KQUP). That slightly narrower pattern is what carried the day. I am actually surprised I can operate a large directional and preamp at my location. There is just so much power in the air. KQUP is especially bad. Unamplified on the ANT751 it is throwing a 90+ signal on me. KREM an KHQ are right there with it too.

The 39 dollar price I paid for the 91xg certainly gave me a huge nudge just because the deal was so good.

As for the orientation of KLEW's signal, that I don't know. I do have the misfortune of a grain silo that is perhaps 200' tall. Even though it is a mile away, I have to shoot just into the corner of it to line up on KLEW. The silo obstructs the horizon.

I do have the 91xg tilted slightly up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleview View Post

A 8 bay antenna has about the same reception on the sides as long yagi.

--------------

At Distance and etc. , Tv transmissions tend to rotate out of the horizontal plane.
Old 29-Dec-2013, 5:41 PM   #25
StephanieS

Greetings all,

Woke up this morning to a winterized antenna system. Everything is working just fine, just don't get to see the frost like this very often!

Old 9-Jul-2014, 12:21 PM   #26
StephanieS

I can no longer say I've never decoded a negative db signal anymore. I am now catching KLEW RF 32 @ 75 miles and -23.1 db! This has been it's second appearance in a week. I figure a bit of skip is in.

What surprises me is that I am 18 miles from KYDS-LD on RF 32 @ 9.3 db. I have a bit of terrain shielding though from KYDS.

Pretty cool though.