TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 29-Sep-2014, 6:42 PM   #1
milamber26

Antenna Setup Advice

Hello,

Please see below for the signal analysis for my home. I am new to this and looking to set up a system for watching TV over the air. Based on my interpretation of the signal analysis, it would appear that the towers are fairly close to me but in different directions. I was thinking that I should install two directional antennas on a rooftop tripod and point one at ~350 deg and the other at ~220 deg to get the most channels. I don't think that I would need a pre-amplifier based on the distance the towers and the relatively short (50 foot) coax cable run. I plan to start with two (2) TV's an maybe expand to four. Please let me know if you think I should do anything differently. Thanks in advance for the help.

Scott

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...d243a7a01acb14
milamber26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Sep-2014, 7:47 PM   #2
Jake V

You have stations in several directions.

For the UHF channels I recommend an Antenns's Driect DB-8e with one panel facing about 2 degrees magnetic (possibly at 330 degrees magnetic if you want Univision and Telemundo) and the other panel facing about 238 degrees.

For the one VHF channel 10 I recommend the Antennacraft Y5713, pointed to 92 degrees magnetic. You might, however, try and see if you can pick this up with the DB-8e as it is a very strong station.

Others will more knowledge than I will also post.
Jake V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Oct-2014, 4:55 AM   #3
StephanieS

Hi Scott,

Your reception plot has a few different options in how to approach. First question what are your goals? Are you content with Providence broadcasts or do you want Boston too? What is your surrounding like to the SW and N?

The reception plot you provided gives an option for reasonably easy for Providence if you have a good unobstructed surroundings.

Cheers,
SS

Last edited by StephanieS; 2-Oct-2014 at 9:26 AM.
StephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Oct-2014, 3:09 PM   #4
milamber26

Hello Stephanie,

Thanks for the reply. I want to get as many of the channels as possible (CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX, CW, PBS). I don't need duplicates. I may be misinterpreting the signal analysis table, but I should be able to get the stations that are within 12 miles at the 220 degree azimuth and the stations that are within 22 miles at the 348/350 degree azimuth. Can you recommend a setup that would allow me to go after the towers in these directions? I do have a lot of trees around my house so that might be an issue.

Thanks again,
Scott
milamber26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-Oct-2014, 4:19 AM   #5
StephanieS

Scott,

Trees bring an unpredictability. Think of standing in the woods with a flashlight and trying to shine to someone 500' away. The light is often scattered and may be reflected quite a bit. The result is you can see the light, but maybe not directly. This happens with TV signals too. When it does, it reduces their signal strength and can potentially create a variability in the signal that no antenna can compensate for.

The upshot here is that no matter what the setup you install, you may have some tree induced unpredictability.

That said, if you are content to not duplicate signals, Providence is the way to go. I might install an antenna that is a little stronger than would normally be suggested here. I suggest an Antennacraft HBU22 for the reason of the trees orientated to magnetic 235.

If you want to lay the foundation for 4 splits of the signal. I'd suggest a Channel Master 3414 4 port distribution amp. This would exist at where you split from the single antenna lead to 4 additional feeds. This option is often a good way to go, because when you split signals you lose power. These distribution amps try to offset the signal losses that occur when you split them.

For two splits you can try an normal 2 way TV splitter.

After the distribution amp, run each coax to each device.

You'll notice I only suggested one antenna. That's all you really need. The roof tripod is a good choice as well.

Regards.

Last edited by StephanieS; 3-Oct-2014 at 7:39 AM.
StephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote