TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Special Topics

Notices

Old 15-Sep-2014, 3:56 PM   #1
VCool

Tivo Over the air model

Has anyone been able to pickup the new Tivo OTA? Launch date was yesterday in select Best Buy Stores. The one in my town that was supposed to have them still doesn't. I called Tivo and they she said they were rolling out and would be in stores eventually but had no details.

Has anyone heard any news or actually been able to pick one up? Was looking forward to cutting the cord yesterday.
VCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Sep-2014, 1:43 PM   #2
BroadwayJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCool View Post
Has anyone been able to pickup the new Tivo OTA? Launch date was yesterday in select Best Buy Stores. The one in my town that was supposed to have them still doesn't. I called Tivo and they she said they were rolling out and would be in stores eventually but had no details.

Has anyone heard any news or actually been able to pick one up? Was looking forward to cutting the cord yesterday.
Tivo is convenient, but costly. I considered it for it's convenience, but ultimately went a different direction. I built and HTPC (home theater PC).

I picked up a cheap desktop tower, added a TV Tuner (technologically challenged friendly install), an HDMI video card (also technologically challenged friendly install) and I now have a full TV Guide just like paid cable, pause and play, all through Windows Media Center. The HTPC also is a DVR as it uses your hard drive to store your recordings. All at no monthly cost, which is the primary purpose of cutting the cord on paid cable.

Added benefits are Netflix (half the cost of Tivo's monthly service charge) right on my TV, plus things like Youtube and other free media content available online all at my fingertips from my couch. Just a thought.
BroadwayJoe is offline   Reply With Quote