TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 26-Feb-2013, 3:26 PM   #21
darkmatter

Smile

Well that's not going to happen. The wife is now addicted to Netflix and Hulu. She thinks that we already spent too much on the antenna and that because she can watch all of her shows off Hulu or Netflix we don't even need it. Oh well I'm happy cause I get all my radio stations and I watch some of the stations for news and law and order during the day. Thanks again Rich.
darkmatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Feb-2013, 5:49 PM   #22
darkmatter

If I was able to convince her. What would be a small inexpensive antenna that I could put low on the mast next to my house faceing the general direction to get those stations better. It would be no farther then a foot away from the side of my house.
Old 28-Feb-2013, 3:07 AM   #23
teleview

The Smallest 2nd antenna I recommend for reception of the Digital Tv stations/channels to the north east is a Winegard HD7694P antenna.

With No amplifier.

The wording you are using in your latest request are raising Red flags of concern that you are painting your self into a corner.

"What would be a small inexpensive antenna"

"I could put low on the mast next to my house"

"It would be no farther then a foot away from the side of my house"

These combinations of words and statements raise Red flags of concern.

And these words stand out , "small inexpensive" and "foot away" and "side of my house".

Hiding small antennas is a good way to -->Not get reliable reception.

The HD7694P antenna and HD7084P antenna Can Not Be Connected onto 1 coax and must be connected as recommended as 2 Complete Separate antenna systems with Remote control A/B antenna switches.

However as always , you are free to do whatever you choose to do.

Last edited by teleview; 1-Mar-2013 at 2:16 AM.
Old 1-Mar-2013, 5:46 PM   #24
darkmatter

Ok thanks as a small and inexpensive antenna I was thinking something like the clearstream 2 which solid signal has for about $45. As for being a foot away from my house that would be the back angle of the antenna. Low on the mast would still be about 15 or so feet off the ground over the lower roof and next to the main roof about 1 foot. Thanks again for the reply and I really trust your suggestions Teleview everything that you have said has been great. All of the recomendations that you have given my worked perfectly.
Old 3-Mar-2013, 12:12 AM   #25
darkmatter

This will be my last question on this matter. Is there a multi direction tv antenna that will work in my situation that would replace the winegard hd7084p. So i could get most or all the stations at 162 degrees and at least channel 69 from 32 degrees. The reason I ask is I have one of those tvs that needs to be rescaned everytime. I can't manually add stations. I want to try to get as many stations I can get with only 1 antenna. I now can get around 40.
Old 3-Mar-2013, 3:51 AM   #26
GroundUrMast

The 7084 gives you gain and directivity. Both factors help provide reliable reception by maximizing received signal power and rejection of interfering reflected path signals (multipath). Going to a low gain antenna with little or no directivity puts you at risk of being the victim of multipath and low signal strength...

If you want 'every possible signal' you need more, not less antennas.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-Mar-2013, 5:41 AM   #27
teleview

Here is - a way - to get all the Tv stations/channels in to the tuner.

Aim the HD7084P antenna to the south east , adjust the HD7084P antenna so the north east stations are also received with out loosing reception of the south east tv stations/channels , all the channels can be programed into the tuner.

Reliable reception is not required , the mission is to get the channels into the tuner.

Then connect the HD7694P antenna as directed , all the channels are in the tuner , so can switch from one antenna to the other and receive all the channels with out rescanning.

Adjust the aim of the HD7694P antenna for best reception of the north east Tv stations/channels.

Adjust the aim of the HD7084P antenna for best reception to the south east group of Tv stations/channels.
Old 3-Mar-2013, 11:56 PM   #28
darkmatter

I just had a thought and was wondering if this might be causing the issue with my signal problem. The hd7084p antenna is wired like this. There is a 6 foot cable from the antenna to the preamp and then there is a 35 foot cable from the preamp to the power block inside my house. From the preamp power block there is a 15 foot cable to a 2 way splitter . From the splitter 1 cable goes to the bed room tv a cheap 22 inch Dynex and the 2nd cable (a 6 foot section) goes into a tripplite a/v surge protector. Finally a 6 foot cable from the surge protector to the main tv (Samsung Plasma). If I remember correctly I get better reception in the bed room. Could my issue be because of the surge protector? I am going to try a couple things 1st install the distribution amp after the splitter to the main tv (Samsung) 2nd If that doesn't work I will try taking the splitter out and only run the antenna to the main TV. I'm wondering if the issue might be the sensativity of the main tv tuner.
Old 20-Mar-2013, 6:13 PM   #29
darkmatter

Everything is finished now and this is what I ended up doing. I returned the winegard hd-7084p and ended up with Antennas direct db-4e. This antenna has a 60 degree front and back angle which worked great in my situation. It is a uhf only antenna but is advertised that it can get close high vhf channels. With this antenna I was able to get all the stations that I got with the winegard and even a couple more. I acctually even get all the vhf channels both low and high. 3-1,3-2,6-1,6-2,6-3,8-1,8-2,10-1,10-2,12-1,12-2,12-3,17-1,17-2,17-3,17-4,29-1,35-1,35-2,35-3,35-4,35-66,39-1,39-3,39-4,48-1,48-2,48-3,48-4,48-5,51-1,51-2,57-1,60-1,61-1,61-2,61-3,61-4,65-1,65-2,69-1,69-2,69-3,and 69-4. This antenna is so small too. Its about 3 and 1/2 feet tall by about 2 feet wide. Thanks again for everyones help.
Old 13-Apr-2013, 11:21 PM   #30
darkmatter

Smile Quick reception question

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...1dda059be1ef9a

I have the DB4e setup faceing about 162 degrees I only have problems with 1 station PBS 39. Would it help if i took off the reflector screen or would there just be too much of a multipath problem.

Thanks Rich
Old 14-Apr-2013, 8:14 PM   #31
GroundUrMast

If you are able to avoid damage to the rear frame tube as you drill the rivets out, go for it... You can always replace the rivets with nuts and bolts.

Yes, you'll be increasing the rearward gain while reducing the forward gain of the antenna and as a result risk multi-path and other problems. You'll just have to experiment to see.

It sounds like you've already wrestled the multi antenna options to the floor... But if I was in the same situation, that would be an option I'd be looking at if the DB4e mod fails.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Apr-2013, 8:45 PM   #32
darkmatter

Ok thanks Ground Your Mast.
Old 16-Apr-2013, 9:17 PM   #33
darkmatter

This is my current setup. http://forum.tvfool.com/attachment.p...1&d=1366146132

Not sure if the picture will work but this is the setup. All the way to the left by the chimney is a low VHF antenna then to the right of that is the Clearstream C5 for high VHF connected to a low high combiner. To the right of the C5 is the DB4e into a UHF / VHF combiner. Single out to a CPA 19 preamp and into the house. All the way to the right on eave mast is fm antenna with seperate cable into the house. New mast so everything is really stable now. Also changed the directions of the antennas so now I get all the channels that are important to me most full bars cw 80% but solid 39 full bars. Total 45 channels solid. Thanks again for everyone's help. Rich

P.S. Sorry for being a PITA about something's. :-)

Last edited by darkmatter; 16-Apr-2013 at 9:26 PM. Reason: Just another thought.