TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Special Topics

Notices

Old 13-Apr-2011, 4:59 PM   #1
stubbbone

Cancelling DISH, can I still use receivers for OTA?

I recently purchased a Winegard HD-1080 and picked up over 50 channels from 20 with my older antenna. My question is since I own the equipment from DISH, a 622dvr and a VIP201, which I use to get my local channels, if I cancel will I still be able to use the receivers? When my Dish goes out during a storm, I still get all my OTA stations. So if I cancel my programming, (first disconnect the satellite signal and unplug the telephone from them) will I still be able to get my local OTA channels on these receivers? Both my HDTV's were made before the tuners were built in, we have had HD since 2001, I do not plan to buy new HDTV's as both units I know inside and out and repair them myself (both Sammys DLP's) and wish too save on buying new receivers. I have had my dish covered with snow and ice for 3-4 days and was still able to get my local OTA channels, so I would think it should still work.
stubbbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Apr-2011, 4:28 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

Given the deafening silence... my best advise is, try. I can't seem to find an older thread were the 622 was discussed so I'm not sure if that person had terminated their satellite service or not.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Apr-2011, 4:38 PM   #3
sdubb

It is my understanding that you will not be able to use them for just over the air.

Only the OLD ones could do this. I have a few Direct TV ones that do this.

I dont know a lot about the serive but I think once the service is teminated the box essential ceases to work until you have service.
sdubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Apr-2011, 8:29 AM   #4
stubbbone

After the system is disconnected from DISH, it gives you an error saying you have no signal, you can still view what you have recorded, but all the tuners are disabled. I bought a KBox and HDhomerun, they seem to be working fine and the HDhomeun lets me record my favorites to my pc to watch later.
stubbbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Mar-2012, 7:43 PM   #5
Underdog

Not sure if this pertains but. We have Direct TV. When my late father was living he insisted on having HD so they came out and installed a HD reciever. They also had to put up a bird cage looking antenna for the locals in HD. After he pasted I cancelled the HD and kept the one regular reciever. We had to return the HD reciever in a shipping box they provided.

I recently became interested in cutting the cord entirely. Actually I'm awaiting an antenna and equipment I have ordered. So.. I just noticed the OTA antenna they put up is now gone. Evidently they came out at some point and removed it leaving only the dish. I suspect they did this to prevent getting the locals in HD for free.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Mar-2012, 8:05 PM   #6
MisterMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
... I suspect they did this to prevent getting the locals in HD for free.
No. All local TV channels including those in HD are free--period. Direct TV cannot affect this in any way. If you are able to receive local channels using the antenna installed by the Direct TV technician, then you are able to receive local channels using an antenna installed by anyone else including yourself. If the Direct TV technicians removed the OTA antenna, then the only legal reason for them to do so is that the OTA antenna is owned by Direct TV. Otherwise, removal of the antenna was theft.
MisterMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-Mar-2012, 1:19 PM   #7
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMe View Post
No. All local TV channels including those in HD are free--period. Direct TV cannot affect this in any way. If you are able to receive local channels using the antenna installed by the Direct TV technician, then you are able to receive local channels using an antenna installed by anyone else including yourself. If the Direct TV technicians removed the OTA antenna, then the only legal reason for them to do so is that the OTA antenna is owned by Direct TV. Otherwise, removal of the antenna was theft.

Yes, I know that which is why I am installing my own antenna. My statement wasn't clear. I didn't mean to say they could keep me from getting the OTA stations. I should have said they removed THEIR antenna so I couldn't keep getting the stations without buying my own antenna. Direct TV doesn't sell you any equipment, they give it to you to use as long as you are a subscriber. So they were within their rights to reclaim it when I cancelled the HD service. I will see if they also want the regular tuner back when I cancel completely.

The thing that surpised me was the need for an OTA antenna to get some local channels in HD. In effect they are selling something that is free.

Last edited by Underdog; 6-Mar-2012 at 1:22 PM.
Old 6-Mar-2012, 3:52 PM   #8
MisterMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post

The thing that surpised me was the need for an OTA antenna to get some local channels in HD. In effect they are selling something that is free.
Not surprising at all. IIRC, the Dish Network was the first to bounce local stations off their satellite. However this practice is limited to certain markets. It is the norm for satellite customers to receive their local programming over the air. There are many OTA antennas that are designed specifically to complement satellite TV service.
MisterMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-Mar-2012, 7:51 PM   #9
Underdog

Yes, I had Dish many years ago. I can remember them charging extra for the locals. I get the locals now off the satelite with Direct but to get them in high def they had to use the antenna.
Old 9-Mar-2012, 9:23 AM   #10
Electron

Tv antennas and Tv reception

Some History. I was there at the beginnings consumer received satellite broadcasts in the days when every thing ( was not that much in the beginning) was broadcast in the clear. I built my own receiver with plans that were available at the time , and had a 12 foot dish in the yard. Now forward in time to Dish Network/Direct Tv. The original agreement on providing the local tv stations via Dish Network and Direct Tv was for those consumers that 'actually and really' could not receive broadcast analog tv transmissions. What happened over a period of time was consumers that could in fact receive local broadcast tv transmissions complained Loudly and Longly that they could not receive broadcast tv with a antenna ( A Lie ) and that they the liers also had a right to receive local broadcast channels via the small dish. Dish Network and Direct Tv business is selling tv programing for a profit so they also pushed the FCC and our government representives to allow local tv stations programing via the small dish to every one , those concerned got there way to a certain degree.
Electron is offline   Reply With Quote