TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 26-Oct-2012, 5:31 PM   #1
jsiu

Not Receiving CBS (KPIX) Over the Air in Millbrae, CA

Earlier this week, I installed a Mohu Leaf indoor antenna (non-amplified) and thus far, have been very impressed by it. Images come in clear and sharp and I very rarely have signal issues (e.g. pixilation). My only gripe is that I'm not receiving a signal for the major network CBS (5.1). I receive the other major networks (2.1 Fox, 7.1 ABC, 11.1 NBC) beautifully, but not CBS (or KPIX as it's locally known in the Bay Area). Here's some background info.

TV FOOL REPORT: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...2df994c7758a00

I live on the 3rd floor of a 4-story condominium complex in Millbrae, CA. My unit is on the south end with my windows facing out of the complex SE to SSE.

ANTENNA PLACEMENT & RECEPTION:
So far, I've found my reception is best when I place the Leaf high on a living room wall which faces NE/NNE-SW/SSW. In this position, I receive all of the major networks perfectly, but no signal for KPIX 5.1.

When placing the antenna on a perpendicular wall in the same room (now facing SE/SSE-NW/NNW), reception is worse. I still do not receive a signal for KPIX and I'll either lose some of the other major networks or the image is likely to be pixilated. This seems counter-intuitive as this is the windowed wall facing out of the complex I mentioned earlier.

These two walls are the most practical to place the Leaf (or any indoor antenna). I've tried positioning it at a few different spots on these walls, but no luck.

Any suggestions out there? Perhaps I need a different antenna? Or an amplified antenna in order to receive KPIX (such as the Mohu Leaf Plus)? I would prefer an indoor antenna if recommending a new antenna.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Let me know if you need to know anything else. Thank you very much.
jsiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Oct-2012, 7:49 PM   #2
teleview

I will never recommend a mohu leaf or other similar antennas.

That said.

The mohu leaf is a 2 directional antenna , the flat sides are what is aimed at the groups of Tv stations to the , north/north west , south/south east.

Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

Try the mohu leaf in a window that faces the south east.

Do a double rescan.

Digital tuners can develop , 'Digital Glitches' , that are not cleared out doing single scans for Tv channels.

A double rescan clears out the digital tuner for a clean new scan.

http://www.dtv.gov/rescan.html.
Old 26-Oct-2012, 10:24 PM   #3
jsiu

Thanks so much for the quick response. I'll try a double rescan with the Leaf now pointing SE as you suggested and report back results.

If not the Leaf, can you recommend another indoor antenna given my situation?

Thanks again.
Old 26-Oct-2012, 11:07 PM   #4
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Look to your north-north west, towards south San Francisco. See Mt San Bruno? It's your problem. Getting signals from Sutro tower. which is behind San Bruno, will be greatly complicated by that huge chunk of stone.

Trying to receive signals that must penetrate your building and anything else in the immediate signal path may turn out to not be possible. Do be happy if it happens to work out but don't be overly surprised if it doesn't.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.

Last edited by ADTech; 26-Oct-2012 at 11:10 PM.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Oct-2012, 3:43 AM   #5
teleview

Are there any of those small satellite dishes on the outside of the building , on the side of the building , on the roof of the building??

Here is -> Broadcast Tv Antenna <- that is made to look like a small satellite dish on purpose , HDX1000 , http://www.antennacraft.net.
Old 30-Oct-2012, 3:08 PM   #6
jsiu

I performed the double rescan and placed the Leaf high on my window facing SE/SSE-NW/NNW as teleview suggested, but unfortunately I still was not receiving CBS.

As ADTech noted, San Bruno Mountain is likely impeding the signal from Sutro Tower. However, I do receive 2.1 Fox clearly (which I believe is broadcast from Sutro Tower), so that would imply I am receiving signals from that location.

teleview: Thanks for your recommendation. Unfortunately, the HDX1000 antenna won't work for me as I'm not permitted to attach such a device to the exterior of my unit (such as the balcony). Any antenna I install would need to be an indoor antenna.

Any other suggestions? Thank you again for your help.
Old 30-Oct-2012, 4:47 PM   #7
teleview

Are there any of the small dishes - any where - on the outside??

For a balcony that is part of your unit and is under your direct control and is not used by any one else , you can install a antenna on the balcony.

What directions are your balconies??

Here is the Federal Antenna Law that provides rights for condo owners.

The Federal Antenna Law - over rules<->is stronger then , hoa's , housing coven-nuts , and ect..

Is written to provide you with - legal rights - .

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Last edited by teleview; 30-Oct-2012 at 8:53 PM.
Old 30-Oct-2012, 7:21 PM   #8
jsiu

I have not seen any other units with antennas or satellite dishes installed. I believe the reason for this is because the community already has satellite dishes (for Dish Network & DirecTV) installed on the roof and all of the units are pre-wired to receive their services upon activation. Unfortunately, they do not have an over-the-air antenna installed on the roof for a similar purpose.

My balcony faces SE to SSE (same direction as my windows).

Unfortunately, the link you provided is pointing to a non-existent webpage.

Thanks for all of the help thus far. I truly appreciate it.
Old 30-Oct-2012, 9:48 PM   #9
teleview

As a test , using a long coax from the mohu antenna to the Tv.

Put the mohu out on the balcony in such a way that one of the flat sides of the mohu is aimed as best as can at the Tv stations to the north west.

This is a -> test <- reception situation , extend the antenna out past the balcony if required for reception.

The coax connection of the mohu needs to be down , not out to the left and right.

Also you can try a larger antenna inside of the condo unit and outside of the unit , http://www.antennasdirect.com/store/...VHF-Combo.html.

You can try the antenna with and without a Antennas Direct CPA-19 preamp.

Last edited by teleview; 31-Oct-2012 at 2:44 AM.