TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 14-Apr-2010, 3:38 PM   #41
rwilson1206

Well, I suppose first I'll try lowering the CM 4221 and rotating to around 74 degrees, if that doesnt work. Then I will consider an A/B switch, although I know there were conditions you mentioned on using it correctly, my HDTV is samsung, Ive tried saving channels, and then rescanning again, and the saved channels I dont believe are there anymore. I know you said something about making sure your digital converter can save channels, so when I scan each antenna, I can save the channels from it, then switch to the other antenna and rescan again? Am I correct in that?

I have a Samsung series 6 640 HDTV. My digital converter for my standard tv is an apex, the ones you can get from best buy, pretty crappy, got it for free. I am considering buying the Zenith DTT901 converter for my other standard TV.

Not to disregard your advise Dave, youve all been a big help, I just want to get this right. I dont know anything about A/B switch, can you suggest one and tell me where to install it in my setup (just replace my coupler with it?). And how to operate it.

Also, right now from the coupler I have the main lead going into (1) hdp 269. Should I get another HDP and put one of them on each antenna lead, then go into the coupler or A/B switch after that? I dont know if I'd see any improvements or not, as all channels come in now except the ones I mentioned recently. I know you suggested before Tower Guy to get (2) HDP 269's, one for each antenna.

One last thing, channel CBS (10 real) came in good at first, but the last two days it hasnt come in good. Someone else I talked to who lives in Akron, says CBS is crappy, and he has cable. But still, is there any reason this isnt coming in good from the way I'm set up now?

Last edited by rwilson1206; 20-Apr-2010 at 8:11 PM.
rwilson1206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Apr-2010, 8:11 PM   #42
rwilson1206

UPDATE* I know some said it couldnt be done, but I added my 18db phillips indoor amplifier right after the splitter type unit from the HDP 269 comes into the basement, and I rescanned and picked up 25 (WVIZ) and 43.1 comes in perfect now. However, I get the slightest bit of breakup from 25, and CBS (10 real) still gets breakup, Fox 8 gives me a little bit of breakup as well. I know CBS 10 and Fox 8 are VHF.

My antennas are pointed in about the right direction... are the issues above still just a matter of tinkering with the antenna orientation and maybe getting an A/B switch, or something different since I've just added in an 18db indoor amplifier right after the HDP 269, and I picked up channels 25 and 43.1 and cbs 19 (10 real) and Fox 8 come in better than when I didnt have the 18db indoor amplifier in the system?
rwilson1206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Apr-2010, 1:04 PM   #43
Dave Loudin

Looks like Tower Guy's concern about RF reflections at each antenna getting picked up by the other are correct. If you've got at least 7 feet between antennas, then the next step is the A/B switch.

BTW, this also confirms that you could not have combined the MANT with anything.
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote