TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 17-Apr-2015, 10:40 PM   #1
Glaesemann

Westchester, NY - Antenna help greatly appreciated

Sorry that my first post here is a "please help" request, but I am just switching to antenna TV. I will participate more as I develop my system.

Here are my TV Signal Analysis Results.

From TV height (5ft): http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...f1f04128426b42

From roof height (40ft): http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...f1f06a9e340362

Any advice for an antenna and best installation process is greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
Tim
Glaesemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Apr-2015, 12:17 AM   #2
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Welcome to the forum, Tim:

Your signals are very strong. What channels do you want? The first 14 on your tvfool report give you a good selection of networks.

Do you want to try an indoor antenna first, or are you allowed to install an antenna on the roof?

Do you have a window, with no low-E glass or a metal screen, that faces SW that will enable you to have an indoor antenna just inside the window? Maybe not, because it looks like the signals are coming in towards the end of the building.

If the TV height is 5 ft, does that mean you are on the ground floor? I see a lot of trees in front of the building that might affect the signals.

I entered your address here, using the interactive map feature, to get an aerial view at 45 degrees:
http://www.tvfool.com/index.php?opti...pper&Itemid=90

Last edited by rabbit73; 18-Apr-2015 at 12:35 AM.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Apr-2015, 12:19 AM   #3
StephanieS

Hello Tim,

Welcome to the forum!

The antenna is but one aspect of your installation. Other considerations include how and where you mount along with how many televisions you want the antenna to serve.

The good news is that NYC broadcasts are very strong according to your plot. This means that you won't need a giant high gain antenna to receive you local broadcasts.

There are a couple considerations for your installation though. NYC has low vhf, high vhf and UHF signals. Low VHF consists of real channels 2-6, high VHF is real channels 7-13 and UHF is real channels 14 and above. Each band operates in different parts of the signal spectrum so they require different antenna applications.

If you were to go "small and easy" the choice would be an Antennacraft HBU11k. This antenna is relatively cheap at around 30 dollars for the antenna and mount. The HBU11 is a high VHF and UHF antenna. This means it is built to receive real channels 7-13 and 14 and above. This covers the vast majority of NYC television broadcasts. This does though exclude low VHF channels 2-6 meaning WJLP (MeTV), WXPO, WKOB, WYNX and WYNZ may not be received. These signals could be classified as obscure as they don't have major network programming on them. So, this becomes a personal choice if you want them or not. This antenna could be mounted easily on the roof or on an eave as long as you have a clear sight to magnetic 200.

The "total coverage" antenna would receive all bands and requires a different installation approach. An Antennacraft C290 would be an antenna I'd turn to. This antenna is designed to receive all real channels 2-69. This antenna I would install on the roof via chimney mount. Also orientate to magnetic 200.

Now, as mentioned prior the antenna system is only one aspect of the installation. Once you provide additional information on your desired installation, we can dial it in even further.

Cheers.
StephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Apr-2015, 3:25 AM   #4
Glaesemann

[rabbit73 & StephanieS]

Many thanks for your replies. This is very helpful. I'm not too concerned about getting low VHF channels. I am on ground floor and I do not have a window that will work for this. However, I have a large radio antenna installed via chimney mount that I don't use anymore. I could easily swap it out for the C290.

I have just one TV, a Samsung F8500 Plasma. Can I go coax direct from the antenna to my TV? The total cable run is about 70 feet.

Not sure how to dial in magnetic 200, but I'm sure I can find that info by searching here on TV Fool.

Again, many thanks for taking the time to respond.

Best,
Tim
Old 21-Apr-2015, 8:16 AM   #5
StephanieS

Hi Tim,

The fact you have an existing antenna mount on your chimney is cake. I'd absolutely repurpose it for a TV aerial. Rabbit73 makes excellent comments about trees. On your roof is the direction of SSW blocked by trees or structures?

If you have a clear shot to the SSW, the HBU11 is the way to go. If you have some blockage, I might go with the more rubust C290.

RE: Coax directly to your TV from the antenna. Yes! It is done all the time. Often when folks have more complicated installations that include multiple antennas and/or numerous TVs being fed by the single antenna, additional approaches have to be integrated. In your case, one TV, plentiful signal strength on paper - you are a excellent candidate for being able to run a single lead from the antenna straight to your TV and have reception success.

RE: "dialing it in." Often a 10 dollar compass will work fine. What I did further is I printed out my TV fool map, then outside I orientated the paper with north and "ballparked" it. Some use apps, it's really all up to how you decide approach it.

Cheers.
StephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Apr-2015, 7:58 PM   #6
Glaesemann

The SSW view is pretty clear. In the attached photo I am facing magnetic 200. My existing FM antenna is shown in the picture.

I want to install an antenna that will give the best possible image. Will the HBU11 and C290 produce the same quality image or is there any advantage going with the beefier C290?

Do you have favorite coax cabling and fittings?

I'll be installing tomorrow, providing I can source the antenna tomorrow at a nearby store.

Thank you!
Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mag200-SSW.jpg (490.9 KB, 811 views)
Old 21-Apr-2015, 8:45 PM   #7
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Quote:
I want to install an antenna that will give the best possible image.
With digital, as long as the signal quality is "good enough", image quality is perfect. Fellow forum member rabbit73 has provided this graphic that illustrates this behavior.

That digital cliff is very pronounced, it usually only takes a drop in 2 or 3 dB in either signal power or SNR at the cliff edge to kick your reception off the plateau and into the abyss.

The signal analysis software cannot know about or simulate the effects of trees or buildings, so it's important that they be recognized as potential problem causers and be avoid as much as possible.

Your only shot at finding either Antennacraft antenna model in a retail store is likely going to be a surviving Radio Shack store (if there are any near you) or an independent dealer and their inventory is going to be hit and (mostly) miss when it comes to the outdoor antennas. You can, however, find our ClearStream 2V in just about every Walmart and Best Buy store.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Apr-2015, 10:53 PM   #8
Glaesemann

My local RS has a C409 on markdown. Would I be losing quality of image going with this larger stronger overkill unit?
Old 22-Apr-2015, 12:11 PM   #9
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Again, image quality will be perfect as long as you stay on top of the digital cliff.

If you are focused exclusively on the NYC stations, there is no performance downside of using the larger all-channel antenna. Just keep in mind that the C490 is 12.5' long and 9' wide at the back and it weights in at almost 11 lbs. Be prepared for its size, handling difficulty, and mounting requirements. You may also have to buy your matching transformer separately, check on that before leaving the store.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Apr-2015, 11:15 AM   #10
Glaesemann

Good point about size. That thing is a monster, so I ordered an Antennacraft HBU11.

Thank you all for your help!
Old 27-Apr-2015, 5:15 AM   #11
Glaesemann

Great results

Just a quick follow up...

My local Radio Shack had an HBU33 at a good price. It was very easy to install and pulls in an impressive HD picture. TV channel scan brought in 60 digital channels. This definitely exceeds my expectations. Cutting the cord tomorrow morning.

Many thanks for all your feedback and help.

Cheers!