TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 14-Mar-2015, 2:39 PM   #1
keller525

How To Install a Rooftop Antenna? Amplifier Recommendation?

I'm readying my house to install a rooftop antenna (Winegard HD7084) and have already run the coax from the TV to the attic. Next steps are to install the tripod, run the coax through the roof, install the antenna and amplifier and fine-tune the reception.

The local installer is charging be $490 for this (South Haven, MI) and I am wondering if this is reasonable? My other option is a local handyman who at $80/hr - he's never installed an antenna before but is completely willing to do it. I'm wondering if I should spring for the installer or go with the handyman since this it's not exactly rocket science.

Are there any really good internet guides out there on installing rooftop antennas? I'm most concerned about penetrating my roof with fasteners and coax cable.

My signal analysis is here: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...f1f030a3267101)

Also, specific direction on what amplifier I should use and what compass heading I should point this to have the best chance at the main networks (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, and PBS) would be great. I understand that I use the amplifier at the TV location, correct? Lastly, a good website recommendation would be helpful.

Thank you all!
keller525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Mar-2015, 4:38 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

$490 may or may not be reasonable. If the installation is legitimately going to require two people or involve half a day or more of labor, and include a guaranty on all the materiel they supply, their labor and no leaks or other damage to your house, then it's hard to claim you're being ripped off. It would be steep if only a couple of hours work is involved.

It sounds like you have the skill set and confidence to run inside wire... You need to judge if you can safely work on your roof. If you're contemplating doing it yourself, do you have experience working on a roof? Can you say with confidence that you are equipped with the proper tools such as a stable ladder that can reach all the areas involved, safely? Are you able to correctly assess other hazards such as clearance from power lines? Have you considered grounding the antenna system?

My career in telecommunications gave me training and work experience that allows me to say yes to those types of questions... but also the experience of knowing that a few of my co-workers were hurt and one killed in a fall accident that involved a height similar to a fall from a single story roof.

You can probably tell that I'm reluctant to encourage folks to go beyond their ability and skill set for fear of helping them hurt themselves or others. If you are confident that you can work safely at height, then I'm willing to answer questions re. rooftop tripod installation. In that case, I'd want to see photos of the roof and attic so I can truly understand your situation. This could turn into a drawn-out thread.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Mar-2015, 11:48 PM   #3
GroundUrMast

Re. amplifiers, I offered suggestions in your thread, Help with Antenna Selection - SW Michigan. Other members are certainly welcome to offer alternate suggestions.

The best location for an amplifier is at the antenna, provided the signal levels there are not so high that they will cause the amplifier to overload. Your reception report shows moderate signal levels to I'll stick with my previous suggestions. The least effective location for an amplifier is at the TV.

I also offered aiming suggestions in your previous thread, though they were based on a two antenna solution. The high gain, narrow beam-width of the HD7084P may make finding a single aim point difficult. With the single all channel antenna, you'll not have the ability to fine tune aim to the extent that you would with a two antenna system.

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 14-Mar-2015 at 11:56 PM. Reason: Aiming
Old 15-Mar-2015, 3:37 AM   #4
keller525

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
$490 may or may not be reasonable. If the installation is legitimately going to require two people or involve half a day or more of labor, and include a guaranty on all the materiel they supply, their labor and no leaks or other damage to your house, then it's hard to claim you're being ripped off. It would be steep if only a couple of hours work is involved.

It sounds like you have the skill set and confidence to run inside wire... You need to judge if you can safely work on your roof. If you're contemplating doing it yourself, do you have experience working on a roof? Can you say with confidence that you are equipped with the proper tools such as a stable ladder that can reach all the areas involved, safely? Are you able to correctly assess other hazards such as clearance from power lines? Have you considered grounding the antenna system?

My career in telecommunications gave me training and work experience that allows me to say yes to those types of questions... but also the experience of knowing that a few of my co-workers were hurt and one killed in a fall accident that involved a height similar to a fall from a single story roof.

You can probably tell that I'm reluctant to encourage folks to go beyond their ability and skill set for fear of helping them hurt themselves or others. If you are confident that you can work safely at height, then I'm willing to answer questions re. rooftop tripod installation. In that case, I'd want to see photos of the roof and attic so I can truly understand your situation. This could turn into a drawn-out thread.
Thanks for your advise. Practically speaking, I think it's best if I leave the installation to a professional. The Winegard 7084 mentioned in my previous post is the antenna which the installer plans to use. He has done installations in the area so I assume he prefers this antenna based on past experience.

Although $500 is more than I expected to spend, it's better to have the job done right than go through all of this only to be disappointed with poor results. The installer's fee does include the equipment cost so perhaps it's reasonable.

Thanks!
keller525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Mar-2015, 4:46 AM   #5
GroundUrMast

I would expect to have a written guaranty/warranty with acceptable terms at that price.

No leaks and grounding that meets or exceeds the greater of local code(s) or the NEC would be high on my list of requirements.