TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 12-Feb-2015, 12:55 PM   #1
TimN

Which Antenna?

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...2c15f71cf3e3d2

Any suggestions on what equipment I need to pick up major network stations 50+miles north west of me, CBS, NBC, ABC & Fox and a few others? Looks like I will not receive many channels. Because of HOA covenants antenna will be mounted in the attic.
TimN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Feb-2015, 6:59 PM   #2
TimN

Any advice?
Old 15-Feb-2015, 7:51 PM   #3
Tim

With the exception of the first 3 channels on your report, I think you will have a tough time getting the others with an attic antenna.
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Feb-2015, 12:33 AM   #4
Jake V

The TV Fool Report may or may not be accurate (it carries the warning that it is resolved only to the block level). I recommend that you prepare another report using these directions: http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=14508 - it is possible it will not change, but it might. [I'd actually post two, one 5 feet above roof like and another 10 feet above that.]

If your actual report is similar to the one you posted, I agree with Tim. You'd need to mount your antenna outside. Hopefully you have spot where it can get general LOS to the horizon at about 350 degrees on a compass (slightly west of north). Once you post another report you will get specific recommendations.

If you live in the United States your HOA cannot prevent you from putting up an outdoor antenna.
Jake V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Feb-2015, 4:18 AM   #5
eden

You may do better than you imagine. I'd start with a relatively small antenna like an Antennas Direct C4V and see what you pull in. Green is indoor antenna, yellow is attic, pink is roof antenna required. Since you only have one direction to worry about you might do OK. In addition, when I had my antenna indoors I was surprised to receive most of the yellow stations and even a couple in the pink which was a pleasant surprise. When I moved my C2 to the roof I did even better, of course.

The other thing you should consider if it doesn't work in the attic (or not well enough) is that the C2V is smaller than a satellite dish and less obtrusive. If your HOA gives you grief give them a copy of the FCC regulation protecting OTARDs (Over the air receiving devices) and make clear that you went with a really small one out of consideration for appearance and your neighbors. Even a C4V is small enough that you shouldn't get grief.
eden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Feb-2015, 5:41 PM   #6
TimN

Here is a new report from my exact location 15 feet above ground, I did not see that last report was block level.
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...2c15496c636c46

My location 25 feet above the ground.
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...2c152def1d70f8

I do not want to be the one guy in the hood with antenna on my roof, neighbors will hate me. I had a big C /Ku band antenna at my house 20 years ago different neighborhood and that was great.

I contacted Antennas Direct and the guy said they did not have anything for my application antenna mount. He said I needed something bigger. Any suggestions? I am located in Southern Indiana halfway between Indianapolis, & Louisville.

Thanks
Old 16-Feb-2015, 6:10 PM   #7
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Quote:
I contacted Antennas Direct and the guy said they did not have anything for my application antenna mount.

Did something get lost in translation?

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Feb-2015, 9:40 PM   #8
Danske

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post

Did something get lost in translation?
Yeah, looks like spell checker kicked in. The guy I talk to at Antennas Direct did not have an antenna to pick up the networks 50+ miles north west of me with antenna installed in the attic. I am curious, does anyone else make a antenna that would work for me?
Danske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Feb-2015, 9:48 PM   #9
Jake V

An antenna for the attic? Probably not something that will get what you want.

The roof is different. You have several options. An HBU-44 might work, but I'm wondering if it's ability would be too narrow to get both the stations from 333 to 369 on a compass. There are some really good participants here. They will post (maybe not today as it is a holiday).
Jake V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Feb-2015, 10:14 PM   #10
Danske

Sorry for the confusion, I was using a neighbors login waiting for mine to be approved to post. So TimN and Danske are the same
Danske is offline   Reply With Quote