TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 26-Jan-2015, 7:25 PM   #1
turnerpd

What TV has the best Tuner

Hi,

I have a fringe antenna... researched, got a good one. I have a signal booster. I pick up stations 120 miles away, or more. Now the question/problem. We have a rotor.

I've noticed a lot of variation in what stations a given TV can pick up given the same antenna system. I can pick of 42 stations from the house... some repeats and some we never watch. Of course, there are several which we like to watch which don't come in consistently on some of the TV's in our house.

My JVC 24" LED is the worst. It often can't pick up a couple of stations. They are coming from well over 100 miles away. It also sometimes can't get the close stations... signal too strong???

Our Visio 32" LCD is the best. It can pick up all 42 stations 95% of the time.

We have a Samsung 32" LCD it also does excellent.

We have a Samsung 46" LCD that we want to replace with an LED. That TV has a couple of stations it can't get. So it's better than the JVC but worse than the other Samsung (newer) and the Visio. We're concerned that we might loose stations depending on the brand we buy, but can not find any evaluation of TV OTA tuners. Everything seems to be focused on the stuff we've already done.

I did find one note somewhere that says Sharp tuners are weak and Samsung are strong. Anyone have any data or practical knowledge that would help???

Thanks
turnerpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Jan-2015, 7:34 PM   #2
rickbb

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerpd View Post
worse than the other Samsung (newer) and the Visio.

The word newer pretty much sums it up. Manufactures rarely if ever publish specs on their OTA tuners. And what they do publish isn't enough to do any meaningful comparisons with.

Which leaves us with the trial and error method that you have pretty much done.

From what I've been able to find online, the newer tuners in the better brands tend to be rated higher for OTA, but not always. As you're relativity new JVC and the store brand Visio shows.
rickbb is offline   Reply With Quote