TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 27-Dec-2014, 10:08 PM   #1
saildawg

Antenna Recommendations and Advice

Hello everyone,

I have recently moved to Athens, GA and would really like to be able to get the Atlanta CBS and FOX (to watch football), every other station I do not necessarily need (NBC would be nice but not necessary). I am renting and would not want to install on roof, there is a wood pergola (about 10 ft high) that I could use. I am hoping for some antenna advice. Ideally I would want one with a small footprint if possible, but I know my situation is less than ideal.
Here is my report
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...d243bd7b30f894
Thanks so much
saildawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Dec-2014, 10:36 PM   #2
StephanieS

Hello Saildog,

I'm the bearer of bad news. Your wishes aren't viable with the reception plot you provided.

Your signals are trending very weak for FOX and CBS. Those alone negate a attic or smaller antenna. Red shaded signals need large aerials placed outdoors with no obstructions so that they provide a good amount of gain and work their receiving ability to their maximum.

This also negates an attic installation. Attics can be viable in suburban areas with good to excellent signal access. You have neither. Further attic installations after signals fall below about 25db in signal strength, they just cannot penetrate your roof.

Trees are a large factor too. If you are shrouded with sizable trees, they will attenuate (reduce) these weak signals coming from Atlanta to the point where your best scenario would be intermittent breakup in the picture.

You are in a situation where you require a large UHF and a large VHF aerial above any tree or building obstruction pointed at Atlanta to have a chance.

Anything short of that, it is my thought you will not have the results you are seeking.

Cheers.
StephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Dec-2014, 11:01 PM   #3
saildawg

Thanks for your reply, would it be possible to use a outdoor directional uhf antenna (so it is more compact)?
Old 27-Dec-2014, 11:53 PM   #4
timgr

Quote:
Originally Posted by saildawg View Post
Thanks for your reply, would it be possible to use a outdoor directional uhf antenna (so it is more compact)?
The VHF antenna is only needed if you want to receive the VHF stations. If you don't care about PBS (WGTV 8) or NBC (WXIA 10), then you can use a UHF array.
timgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Dec-2014, 11:56 PM   #5
saildawg

Any suggestions on a reasonably small footprint antenna I am only concerned in getting UHF (CBS and Fox)
Thanks
Old 28-Dec-2014, 12:51 AM   #6
timgr

Any of the bowtie arrays are going to be compact. Look at an Antennas Direct DB4e, for example. https://www.antennasdirect.com/store...v-antenna.html

If you want to try a cheap option, the Eagle Aspen is quite cheap and appears to be a knock-off of the DB2. http://www.amazon.com/Eagle-Aspen-EA.../dp/B000GIT002 ... if it doesn't prove adequate, you can move up to a 4-bay or 8-bay bowtie design.

Last edited by timgr; 28-Dec-2014 at 12:54 AM.
timgr is offline   Reply With Quote