TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 3-Dec-2014, 3:09 PM   #1
jasjar

Any hope for decent reception - Birmingham/Tupelo?

I have neighbors who have old antennas and had much success in the past receiving channels from Tupelo, Mississippi and Birmingham, Alabama. However, most of them did not make the switch to digital, but instead went with dish service.

I'm wanting to make the move from dish to antenna, but I want to make sure I do it the right way. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance. Here is my info:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...d2439165b5d0e6
jasjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-Dec-2014, 4:43 PM   #2
timgr

Seems like the antennas that get recommended the most here are the DB8e from Antennas Direct and either the Antennacraft Y5713 or Y10713. The DB8e is a UHF antenna, covering channels 14-51. The Y5 and Y10 are VHF high antennas that cover 7-13. NB these are real channels, not the virtual channels that you see on your TV. Each real channel can carry several virtual channels simultaneously, and the virtual channel numbers have nothing to do with the broadcast frequency.

You can probably rule out VHF low, since the VHF low stations in your area are far down in power, and you are unlikely to receive them reliably.

Is 30' a realistic height for your antenna? Can you aim the antenna in open air at that height directly at each station, with no obstructing buildings or trees? Usually higher is better.

Most people want to receive the majors ABC/CBS/NBC/Fox/PBS - the nearest ABC affiliate is WCFT from Tuscaloosa... -9.4 NM is very weak. Others are also tough ... the two possible VHF high stations are NBC WTVA 8 and PBS WMAE 12, which unfortunately are separated by 70 degrees azimuth. The Y10 has a peak gain of 9.4 db, and a half-power width of 44.5 degrees. SO it might turn out that you can get both these stations by pointing at them, but neither by pointing between them.

UHF channels CBS WCBI and Fox WLOV should be easy to get with a decent UHF antenna not obstructed by trees or buildings.

Not much of a recommendation, but maybe helpful to see what you have to work with.
timgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-Dec-2014, 12:04 PM   #3
StephanieS

Antenna recommendation above is probably the way go to.

ABC service for you would come from WTVA 9.2. WTVA carries NBC and ABC on each of its streams.

Cheers.
StephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote