TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 9-Apr-2015, 10:52 PM   #1
zero visual

Attic antenna Morrisville

Afternoon everyone,
For the past year my fiance and I have been using the Mohu leaf 50. It was great at our apartment, got around 35 channels. Now that we moved, we get 5-7. I have been looking into many different antennas but most recently channelmaster 4228hd and the C2V. This will be mounted in our attic and will be running a 50ft cable (most likely shorter) to the splitter on the first floor. Currently it will be going to 2 HDTV's but might add a 3rd down the line. Is the 4228hd good for this setup and should i get a preamplifier?
thanks in advance.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...f1f0eb0c0269a2

Last edited by zero visual; 9-Apr-2015 at 11:28 PM.
zero visual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-Apr-2015, 11:40 PM   #2
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Do NOT get a pre-amp, you should not need one.

Before suggesting an antenna, please identify the stations that are mandatory.

Also, what is your roof made of and what is outside the roof in the direction of your major broadcast towers

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-Apr-2015, 12:17 AM   #3
zero visual

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
Do NOT get a pre-amp, you should not need one.

Before suggesting an antenna, please identify the stations that are mandatory.

Also, what is your roof made of and what is outside the roof in the direction of your major broadcast towers

Just moved into a Townhouse, not sure what the roof is made of but will look and see if I can get that answer. The attic is pretty high, depending on the degree it will either have a clear line of site or at 122 degrees looks like 3 additional townhouse attics (we are the 4th one in the line of 6). As far as the channels, I would say Fox, CBS, ABC NBC, CW, PBS but obviously the more the merrier. I just started looking into the DB8e, to help with picking channels in different directions.
zero visual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Apr-2015, 10:02 PM   #4
ncbro

zero visual, pls check your inbox for a pm from me.
ncbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Apr-2015, 10:57 PM   #5
eden

I used to live in Morrisville in a rented townhouse very near you. Almost all your major stations will come from the towers in Auburn. The notable exceptions are channel 25 (WUNC, virtual channel 4) which is south of Graham to your west, Ion, channel 15, which is up in Louisburg to your north, and channel 38 (virtual channel 40) which is in Fayetteville. Channel 40 has two Spanish language channels but also has Get TV (old movies) so you shouldn't write it off.

In your location you will pick up all of the Triangle stations reliably with a minimal antenna. You will probably also get some of the Triad stations with something like an Antennas Direct C2V. You definitely don't want a preamp. It will likely overload from strong signals and is unlikely to help. A distribution amp rather than a splitter may help if your end result has few or weak stations.

The only reasons for a bidirectional antenna are channel 15 or the Triad stations, which mostly duplicate the Triangle stations. Channel 25 (virtual channel 4) is so incredibly strong where you are that the antenna direction won't matter. If you go with a C2V and point it west you might still get all the Raleigh stations from your east off the back and you'll add channels 19 and 51 (CW and CBS) from Greensboro in my experience. Despite what the TV Fool report says it is incredibly easy to pick up channel 19 (virtual channel 20) in Morrisville. The other Triad stations, all in pink in your report, will be sketchy and will come in sometimes and disappear at other times and will not be watchable on a consistent basis without an outside antenna. Also, despite the fact that channel 8 is in yellow on your report you probably won't get that one much if at all with the little VHF dipole on the Antennas Direct antennas.

The C2V and C4V are available locally at Best Buy. The C2V is also at Wal Mart. The C2V is less directional and will give you a slightly better chance at channel 15 despite somewhat lower gain.

Last edited by eden; 11-Apr-2015 at 11:00 PM. Reason: More on point for what the OS requested
eden is offline   Reply With Quote