TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 4-Feb-2012, 3:53 PM   #1
Northshore22

Please help with antenna

Hi,
The result is here, http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...0b86ff689fec95
I bought mohu leaft antenna and installed it. I only picked up the channels (62.1, 68.1 not good) in green area. The signal strength is 50 to 65%. The antenna is attached to the wall next to window. I was hoping to get 70% and higher for signal strength in the green area channels. Is it because the antenna not good? What antenna would you recommend? I live in an apartment, I can not install antenna on top of the roof.
Thank you.

Last edited by Northshore22; 4-Feb-2012 at 4:49 PM.
Northshore22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-Feb-2012, 6:48 PM   #2
Electron

Tv antennas and Tv reception

The strongest group of tv stations is to the south west at about 239 degree magnetic compass. I will never recommend a leaf antenna , however since you already have one , direct a flat side of the leaf to the south west , put the antenna in a window that is on the south or west side of the building. What floor is your apt. , 1st , 2 nd , 3 third , etc. , Do you have a patio or balcony on the south or west side of the building?? Also the tv needs to scan for the Digital Broadcast Tv Channels sometimes called the 'air channels' because the broadcast tv signals travel through the air from the transmitting antenna to the receiving antenna. DO Not scan for cable tv channels.
Electron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-Feb-2012, 7:06 PM   #3
Northshore22

I live on 1st floor and there is no patio or balcony, but the building is up on the hill. I can return the leaf antenna if it's no good. I can get only 3 or 4 channels (PBS, CBS, NBC little weak) with ~65% signal strength. What antenna would you recommend? Thank you.
Old 6-Feb-2012, 4:06 AM   #4
MisterMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northshore22 View Post
I live on 1st floor and there is no patio or balcony, but the building is up on the hill. I can return the leaf antenna if it's no good. I can get only 3 or 4 channels (PBS, CBS, NBC little weak) with ~65% signal strength. What antenna would you recommend? Thank you.
Your TV Fool Radar plot indicates that you have ample signal strength outside the walls of your apartment. The fact that your building is on a hill should make your reception even better. What this all means is that your Leaf antenna is not the source of your problems. It also means that replacing your Leaf antenna will not fix your problems. Any other antenna placed where you currently have your Leaf antenna will likely have the same issue. As Electron has already advised you, aim your Leaf antenna approximately southwest--238° magnetic to the southwest to be more accurate.

Do you know the construction material used for your building's exterior walls? In the case of stucco, the stucco mixture is spread over a steel mesh which makes an excellent RF shield. If the exterior is plain brick or stone, then you may hang the antenna high on a southwest wall near the ceiling. Better yet, place it in a window with a view of the southwest. With the signal strength at your location, you should be able to receive a stable signal even with the Leaf antenna pointed due south or due west.
MisterMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-Feb-2012, 4:37 AM   #5
Electron

Mister Me does best to help and provides a lot of useful information. If I were to suggest a different antenna it would be a Winegard FV-HD30 antenna placed in a , south or west or south west facing window. The window must not have a real metal window screen and metal window blinds are kept from touching the antenna with a sheet of cardboard or something to keep the antenna away from metal window blinds. The tv must scan for , Digital Broadcast Tv Channels , sometimes called 'air channels' because tv transmissions travel through the air from the transmitting antenna to the receiving antenna. Do Not scan for cable tv channels. . If the reception of the tv transmitters is being blocked by other apartment buildings close by , then the antenna will need to be mounted higher , as in higher up , not 3 or 4 inches higher , higher as in the antenna is able to clear the buildings that are blocking the tv transmissions. There is no magic wand , you must think about your reception situation.

Last edited by Electron; 6-Feb-2012 at 4:42 AM.
Old 6-Feb-2012, 4:46 AM   #6
Electron

Do Not say , the tv is not connected to cable tv so I am not scanning for cable tv channels. The tv must not scan for cable channels , the tv must scan for over the air digital broadcast tv channels.
Old 7-Feb-2012, 12:00 AM   #7
Northshore22

Thank you both for your helpful information and suggestion.
The building has brick wall outside and the window facing west. I hang the leaf antenna on the window facing outside. I set the tv to rescan dtv (Air) only. After the scan, I found the signal strength is better (~68%) and the tv PQ is good. I can receive all the major channels, PBS, CBS, ABC, NBC and FOX. I am happy with the result. Again, thank you both Electron and MisterMe for your help.
Old 7-Feb-2012, 3:31 AM   #8
Electron

Excellent , looks like all of tv stations/channels in the tvfool radar report green zone and perhaps a few more are being received. Excellent. If in the future you move to a different location , consult tvfool , to choose a location and direction of reception that will have a 'clear view' of the tv transmitters.
Old 7-Feb-2012, 5:41 AM   #9
MisterMe

Northshore22, I am happy to hear your reception has been improved
MisterMe is offline   Reply With Quote