TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 1-Jun-2016, 2:09 AM   #1
l37

DB4e vs DB8

Sorry for the delay everyone. Things got busy...

Anyways, I originally asked this in another thread, but I thought it would be cleaner if I started a new one.

I just ran a new simulation
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e2cba9ba24507b

Currently, I have a DB4e, but sometimes have trouble with (virtual) channels 11.X, 5.X, and 7.X (in that order. remaining ones are fine pretty much). I previously used an RCA preamp, but have since stopped using it (minimal gains, and I figured the more items in between the TV and antenna, the more losses)

I was looking into the DB8 (not DB8e) since it has more arrays, higher gain, and all of my desired channels are in the same direction.

Thoughts?
l37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-Jun-2016, 11:19 AM   #2
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

It would have been far more productive to keep EVERYTHING in the original thread which still has unanswered details requested of you.

In general, there is only a small difference in peak forward gain between the DB8 and the DB4e. It is unlikely that that particular attribute is going to change anything in your reception situation. The DB8 will have a narrower focus (beamwidth) which would be expected to help suppress multipath, should that impairment be present (which we don't know).

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Jun-2016, 1:43 PM   #3
l37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
It would have been far more productive to keep EVERYTHING in the original thread which still has unanswered details requested of you.

In general, there is only a small difference in peak forward gain between the DB8 and the DB4e. It is unlikely that that particular attribute is going to change anything in your reception situation. The DB8 will have a narrower focus (beamwidth) which would be expected to help suppress multipath, should that impairment be present (which we don't know).
Antenna is indoors, second floor, behind a glass door (screen removed). Some pine trees in the way as weel but they are scattered (not directly in front)

Is there any other information that can help?
Old 2-Jun-2016, 3:10 PM   #4
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Thanks for the information.
Quote:
Antenna is indoors, second floor, behind a glass door (screen removed). Some pine trees in the way as weel but they are scattered (not directly in front)
Quote:
I am looking to get another antenna. I plan to put it on the balcony, or right inside by the glass/screen door, which faces NE. I am also above ground, which may help.
How does the DB4e do with the door open or if it is out on the balcony?
Quote:
I have a magnavox tv converter box (I still have an analog television set, will upgrade soon),
Quote:
The new coax cable has helped, but still having pixelation/random black screen issues. RCA preamp (which I have used since I got the DB4e) has FM trap on, and set to VHF/UHF combined. Changing either if these results in lost channels.
Quote:
I am not sure if the issue is the antenna (getting bad?), or that I have too many things downstream from the antenna (RCA preamp, and Channel Master DVR+).
What is your equipment setup now? What is connected to what and how long are the coax lines?
Quote:
I often move my DB4e left/right 1-2 feet when I am having signal trouble.
That is not unusual; it is because the wavefront is non-uniform.
Quote:
I previously used an RCA preamp, but have since stopped using it (minimal gains, and I figured the more items in between the TV and antenna, the more losses)
If the connections are good, more items should not be a problem. A preamp will allow you to receive signals that are about 5 dB weaker if the coax between the antenna and the preamp is short.

Last edited by rabbit73; 2-Jun-2016 at 3:18 PM.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Jun-2016, 1:47 PM   #5
l37

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit73 View Post
Thanks for the information.

How does the DB4e do with the door open or if it is out on the balcony?
Minimal difference with the door open. Now I just have the glass door closed and screen portion open.

Quote:
What is your equipment setup now? What is connected to what and how long are the coax lines?
Have a ln LG LED TV now. No more converter box. The antenna is connected to the TV via a 50 ft long coaxial

Quote:
If the connections are good, more items should not be a problem.
I was worried that there may be internal issues in the preamp. I guess I can try it again and see what happens.