TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 10-Dec-2010, 11:42 PM   #1
odenwald

Which antenna best for 95660 North Highlands, CA

Hi Folks –
I’m glad I found this site. Having the ability to ask advice is a very valuable resource, especially for someone like me who hasn’t used an antenna for receiving OTA signals for decades. Thanks for being here.
I would like some help in picking out an antenna that will give me a steady signal from the stations listed in the green zone (shown at the link below); and give me the opportunity to bring in FM signals as well.
Here’s my signal analysis:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...da32f9bd36bc72
Physically, our home is a 1950’s one story ranch. No attic, with a roof peak height of 14’. I’d prefer an outside antenna, and am concerned that the air-conditioner/heat pump that sits on the roof about 20’ away from where I’d like to mount the mast might prove to be an interference problem. Then there’s the 30’+ tall Sycamore trees in the neighbor’s yard to deal with. I’ve got an area with plenty of clearance for the antenna, that sits just on the other side of the wall where my Sony Bravia HDTV is located. Currently, we only have the one TV, but sometime in the future might add another in a bedroom.
Price range is always a consideration, but I’d like a quality antenna that can deliver a good clean signal.
odenwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Dec-2010, 3:27 AM   #2
GroundUrMast

You have a nice location... A mid sized combination antenna like this http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...0Antennas&sku= aimed at 179° according to you compass should provide signal enough to drive a passive (no amplifier needed) 2 or 3 way splitter. It will tend to favor FM from the south but not block from other directions.

20' of clearance from the A/C unit should be more than enough to minimize reception pattern problems. Hopefully the trees are not due south of the proposed antenna location, but even if they are you have good reason to expect success.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 11-Dec-2010 at 3:32 AM.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Dec-2010, 3:10 PM   #3
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by odenwald View Post
Price range is always a consideration, but I’d like a quality antenna that can deliver a good clean signal.
I'd do a 7-69 antenna.

ANT751
HBU22
HD7694P
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Dec-2010, 7:38 PM   #4
odenwald

Hi Tower Guy and GroundUrMast - thanks for looking over my situation - and thanks for the replies. The CM3016 Channel Master and the HD7694P from Winegard look very similar, does the 7-69 tuning of the Winegard give it a competetive edge? I'm guessing, that with my available signal strengths on the digital signals I want to watch - either one will work just fine on the UHF stations. Should I be concerned that with a 30 miles VHF & 25 miles UHF, the Winegard sounds like it might be at the edge of the UHF stations I want? I notice that the Channel Master 3016 has a UHF 30 Miles & VHF 45 Miles rating. Is the difference between the two significant?
Old 12-Dec-2010, 12:41 AM   #5
GroundUrMast

Tower Guy has made a good recommendation given your stated desire to receive the 'green' stations...

The antenna I referred to is similar but includes the capability to receive channels 2 through 6, which covers some of the stations at the bottom of the green and into the yellow. (ch 4 and possibly 3 though it is to the east so far as to be marginal with out a rotator)

If those channels do not have programing you are interested in, and the price is better, certainly go with one of the antennas TG has suggested.

Mileage values come out of the marketing department... The differences between these antennas is measured in a few decibels. You can often find technical details like 'gain' on solidsignals web site and also here http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/comparing.html So, no, don't be too concerned about "mileage".

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Dec-2010, 12:46 AM   #6
Dave Loudin

Your questions reveal the power of the TVFool charts. The mileage claims are one way antenna manufacturers can relate antenna gain to something easier to understand. Higher gain antennas should receive signals from a greater distance, and this is true if all stations were broadcasting with equal facilities. However, they don't.

Also, antenna gain is a comparison of how sensitive the antenna is in a given direction compared to a theoretical antenna that is equally sensitive in all directions (an isotrope). Antennas with high gain are very sensitive over a small range of azimuths and very insensitive in all other directions. Antennas with lower gain are more sensitive over a wider span of azimuths while being at worst nay modestly insensitive in other directions.

Your report shows strong signals over a wide range of directions. Guess which type of antenna was recommended?
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Dec-2010, 9:19 PM   #7
odenwald

Thanks Folks

Very helpful and informative. Narrowed the selection down to an RCA ANT-751 and the Channel Master 3016. Thanks guys!