TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 29-Jan-2015, 6:53 AM   #1
rackit7

New Installation Westport, CT

Hi Folks
I am an existing cable customer. I am interested in moving to an external HDTV antenna.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...2c15eab5d41d18

Priority
1 - Receive NYC broadcast stations (CBS, NBC, FOX, ABC, PBS, WPIX) (Must have).
2- Receive CT based station (main interest is CT PBS).(nice to have)
3 - Possibly Long Island based PBS (nice to have)

I have 2 TV's. Neither have a tuner so I would need tuners as well. I currently have a Silicon Dust Home Run tuner that I am not using. I have a HTPC with Openelec that I would consider using for a DVR. I would only need a DVR on one TV.

Thanks for any recommendations.

John

Last edited by rackit7; 29-Jan-2015 at 6:56 AM. Reason: Forgot Signal analysis!
rackit7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Jan-2015, 5:52 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

As a starting point, the NYC based transmitters are going to require a full sized deep fringe antenna or combination of antennas. I'd opt for an Antennas Direct DB8E + Antennacraft Y10713. That allows you to optimize aim more precisely and provides maximum performance. You'll need a preamp that can handle a mix of strong and weak signals, the RCA TVPRAMP1R comes to mind... The newest preamp from Antennas Direct is the 'Juice', I have a sample in hand but have yet to compare it to my current preamp. The spec's say it would be a match to your situation, though it would require a separate UHF/VHF combiner and depending on what FM transmitters operate near you, an external FM trap (filter ) might be required as well.

I've been quite impressed with the very inexpensive HomeWorx tuners, I have the HW-150PVR which has several interface options for connecting to the TV/Monitor including HDMI.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote