TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 6-Jan-2015, 8:15 PM   #1
enph

Attic Install Success?

Hello,

My TVFool link: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...2c1516a086994a

I'd like to do an attic install and was looking at the DB8-E. Although it states it is UHF only I see some posts from people throughout the internet with some VHF high success.

Is there any way to estimate (I understand no guarantees) my chance of success with this plan? Should I be considering something other than the DB8-E? I am really only concerned with 11 and 13 from VHF-hi and not the ones below that.

I know that my distances aren't horrible, but attic is my only option so I was hoping to use something for "extra distance" with the hope of offsetting my loss due to being stuck inside the attic.

Thanks in advance for any advice offered!
enph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-Jan-2015, 9:23 PM   #2
timgr

You should be aware: effectiveness of an attic installation is difficult to predict. There are too many unknowns, in the material of the roof and structure, trees and buildings and other obstructions on the other side of the roof, and conductive and/or noisy wires, pipes, chimneys, etc. that are part of the building. Antennas are designed to function in free air, and you can change their electrical characteristics by placing them in other environments. Some building materials are more transparent to signals than others. Stucco, for example, contains wire mesh typically and is basically opaque to TV signals.

The DB8e is a very sensitive antenna for UHF. It's not deaf to VHF, but you are 1) installing it in an attic and 2) the stations you want are not extraordinarily powerful at your location. They are strong, but not overwhelmingly strong. And 3) they are spread out. Which directions had you planned to point the panels? When you splay the panels, it reduces the sensitivity of the antenna.

You can always add a VHF antenna in addition to the DB8e. Lots of people install the DB8e along with the Antennacraft Y5713 or Y10713. These are not expensive, but realize that the boom length is 5' and 10' respectively, so you'll need some room in your attic. Half power beam width of these yagis is about 50 degrees, roughly the separation of the stations. So I think you have a good chance to get both of them with a yagi, if the attic surroundings cooperate.

Your alternative is to go with a VHF-UHF combination antenna like the Antennacraft HBU44 or HBU55.

If you went on the roof, you'd get a bunch of stations.
timgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-Jan-2015, 11:40 PM   #3
enph

Thanks for your insights, timgr.

Rooftop application is not possible due to living in a townhome/condo and the HOA restrictions. We could place it on a tripod on the patio however it then becomes an eyesore and is not preferred. It would also likely be considerably lower.

I will investigate the combo antennas, as I haven't been focusing on that market segment and (as you pointed out) probably should at least consider it.

Thanks again!
enph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Jan-2015, 2:01 AM   #4
GroundUrMast

If you are limited to an attic install for what ever reason, the edge path conditions and marginal signal strength reflected in your TVFR argue for using a high gain antenna such as the DB8E. The only way to know if it works is to put an antenna in your attic.

In the Seattle market, KCTS-9 and KSTW-11 would be at risk if you opted not to use a second antenna such as the Y{X}713 types mentioned by timgr. KCPQ-13 simulcasts on real CH-22 from Capitol Hill (the weak signal on real CH-22 at your location is not very promising for an attic mounted antenna though) so a UHF only antenna may be a valid solution if you have no interest in CW and the Seattle based PBS channels. KBTC is an alternate PBS option that might be received with a UHF only antenna.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote