TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 4-Jan-2015, 3:50 PM   #1
chad

Flat wave or more traditonal style (Moorpark, CA)

Hi TVFool community,

Will it be worth it for me to buy an HD antenna based on the results of the TV signal analysis?

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...2c15029cfcbeb2

I understand that I would likely have to get a roof mounted antenna and I am ok with that but I just want to better my chances at getting a handful of local news channels before I pony up the cash..

I have seen a couple traditional style antennas in my neighbourhood but I am wondering if I could get away with more of the compact style flat wave antennas? They are cheaper and less bulky on the roof and look like they will be easier to install.

Winegard seems to be a reputable brand so I am trying to compare these:
HD8200U Platinum HD Series Antenna
FL6550A FlatWave Air Outdoor Antenna

Thanks in advance for any help,
Chad
chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-Jan-2015, 4:00 PM   #2
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Neither of the above.

This is a situation where the old adage of "Go big or stay home" applies.

You'll need either a large 7-51 combo antenna or separate UHF/high VHF antennas plus a pre-amplifier.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-Jan-2015, 4:42 PM   #3
chad

Thanks for the quick reply.
Would these be more suitable choices:
Channel Master CM 3020 + CM-7777 Titan preamp
Antennacraft HBU55 + 30dB mast-mounted amp

If these are more suitable choices, how good are my chances at getting a couple local channels so I can stop giving the cable company all my money?

If not then could you recommend a single antenna + amp that would be suitable
Old 4-Jan-2015, 5:23 PM   #4
timgr

No info about the CM3020, but the HBU55 is a large 7-51 combo, as ADTech suggests. http://www.antennacraft.net/Antennas/AntennasHBU.html The Antennacraft antennas get recommended a lot around here, based on performance and build quality, I gather.

I believe the rec for a preamp was if you combine a separate UHF and VHF-high antenna, like the popular Antennas Direct DB8e and Antennacraft Y10713 combo. With the HBU55, I would try it with a good quality cable directly from the antenna to the TV. A mast-mounted premap will boost your signal amplitude, but it also degrades signal quality slightly. With a single input, they are used to overcome cable loss from long cable runs. You can always add the preamp later. Aim the antenna directly at Mt. Wilson, 84 degrees magnetic.

Antennacraft Y10713 and Antennas Direct DB8e, on my roof. A combo like this would work for you too, with both DB8e panels aimed the same way as the Y10713 yagi. Signal combined with an Antennacraft 10G221 mast-mounted preamp.

The other little antenna is for FM.

I would expect to get nearly every channel originating from Mt Wilson that has a positive NM. KABC, KTTV, KCOP should be a slam-dunk. Down the list, around KNBC is dicey ... but maybe. KCBS is very unlikely.

If you buy the HBU55 online, Radieaux Shaque has the best deal - that's where I got my Y10713. Be sure to get a 300-to-75 ohm balun at the same time - you'll need it, and the antenna will not come with one.

Last edited by timgr; 4-Jan-2015 at 5:46 PM.
timgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-Jan-2015, 6:37 PM   #5
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

You do not need a high gain pre-amp (not many people do), select one with medium gain, 16-20 dB with a low noise figure (<3 dB).

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Jan-2015, 12:06 AM   #6
chad

Thanks you guys. I will give it a try and share my results