TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 27-Dec-2014, 7:11 PM   #1
Log

Question Antenna Suggestion?

I'm interested in dropping DirecTV and going with an antenna setup. I would, hopefully, be utilizing the existing bracket on the roof and the current wiring. The antenna is on the 2nd story, ~20-22 FT in the air.

TV Fool report: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...2c1530010a947d

I'm much more interested in the big locals (NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX) than PBS/Religion/Educational. I've tried indoor antennas (Mohu) and have had limited results (3-4 total channels).

Any suggestions on the type of antenna I should use? Thanks in advance for your time!
Log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Dec-2014, 7:40 PM   #2
timgr

Hi - I would not plan on reusing much of the dish setup. Is the mount pointing in the right direction? Is it grounded per the electrical code? Will the antenna clear the roof peak and surrounding trees and vegetation when mounted on the dish mast? The dish was pointing somewhere at the sky, and you'll need to point the antenna at the level horizon, clear of trees and buildings.

I'm not sure which antenna to recommend here - I'd probably get an Antennas Direct DB8e and experiment with it. I'd mount the antenna with one panel pointed at 354 magnetic and the other pointed at 41 magnetic. WNSC and WCCB may be strong enough that you pick them up anyway, as long as they are not obstructed by trees or buildings. You could probably add WOLO 8 and WIS 10 by adding an Antennacraft Y5713 to the same mast ... depends on how ambitious you are and whether you'd want the extra complication for two - likely duplicate - stations.
timgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Dec-2014, 7:50 PM   #3
Log

Quote:
Originally Posted by timgr View Post
Hi - I would not plan on reusing much of the dish setup. Is the mount pointing in the right direction? Is it grounded per the electrical code? Will the antenna clear the roof peak and surrounding trees and vegetation when mounted on the dish mast? The dish was pointing somewhere at the sky, and you'll need to point the antenna at the level horizon, clear of trees and buildings.

I'm not sure which antenna to recommend here - I'd probably get an Antennas Direct DB8e and experiment with it. I'd mount the antenna with one panel pointed at 354 magnetic and the other pointed at 41 magnetic. WNSC and WCCB may be strong enough that you pick them up anyway, as long as they are not obstructed by trees or buildings. You could probably add WOLO 8 and WIS 10 by adding an Antennacraft Y5713 to the same mast ... depends on how ambitious you are and whether you'd want the extra complication for two - likely duplicate - stations.
The antenna bracket isn't currently pointed in a specific direction; it appears the dish is angled specifically.

To address your other concerns: As far as I know the antenna is grounded properly via electrical guidelines. There is no mast present and it would not clear the roof line or trees.

Maybe an indoor/attic solution is the best option available as I don't have the skill set to install a new antenna bracket/mast on the roof.
Log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Dec-2014, 4:59 PM   #4
timgr

Effectiveness of an attic installation is difficult to predict. There are too many unknowns, in the material of the roof and structure, trees and buildings and other obstructions on the other side of the roof, and conductive and/or noisy wires, pipes, chimneys, etc. that are part of the building. Antennas are designed to function in free air, and you can change their electrical characteristics by placing them in other environments. Some building materials are more transparent to signals than others. Stucco, for example, contains wire mesh typically and is basically opaque to TV signals.

If you have an attic site that will probably be ok - shingle roof, wood/vinyl side walls, no wire or foil in the walls - and you can aim the antenna at 350 or 40 magnetic, it might work for you. Again, I would go big and get the DB8e and point one panel at 350 and one at 40. This antenna is compact for what it is, but it's still ca 4' square. You may also pick up WNSC, even though it will be to the back side of one of the panels ... at 74 db NM it's very very strong.

No guarantees though ... esp. if there are obstructions like trees and buildings outside in the direction of aim.

It is also possible to hire an installer for your roof installation.

Good luck!
timgr is offline   Reply With Quote