TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 18-Dec-2014, 8:44 PM   #1
JGoodwin

Antenna advice- Simi Valley, Ca

Here is my Signal Analysis

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...d243ffb9e0244e

What antenna and tuner if needed would I need to receive all the channels to the East of this report.

Before I found this website I bought a Lava 2805 and was able to pick up about 7 channels. I plan on returning the antenna and going with what you guys recommend. Two TV's total.

Antenna will be 15' off the ground. Which is the top of my single story ranch style house. I have one large tree across the street that is in my line of sight to the East. I prefer not to have a 10' antenna on my roof, if possible.

Thanks for your help.
JGoodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Dec-2014, 9:27 PM   #2
timgr

I would get the biggest VHF-UHF combination antenna I could, mount it as high as possible, and point it right at Mt. Wilson. 15' is not very high - there's only 1 LOS station on your report.

Pointing through a tree is a problem. Look here at the section "Trees and UHF." http://www.hdtvprimer.com/antennas/siting.html

If you don't want an antenna on your roof, how about a tower in your yard?

What is your budget like?
timgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Dec-2014, 9:38 PM   #3
JGoodwin

Let's do $300.

The tree is big but not bushy and I might be able to install the antenna on the other side of the house where there may not be a tree obstruction.
Old 18-Dec-2014, 10:25 PM   #4
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Simi Valley is a black hole for reception. Usually, you NEED a 10-14' antenna (or equivalent individual antennas) plus a pre-amp. Any thing less is usually disappointing.

Do what you can to get out from behind that tree or it will probably make your life miserable.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Dec-2014, 10:45 PM   #5
JGoodwin

What would be equivalent to 10'-14' antenna?

Is there a four bay bow tie antenna that will work?

I'll find a way around the tree. I just a recommendation for an antenna and pre-amp if needed.
Old 19-Dec-2014, 12:58 AM   #6
ADTech

I'd go with an 8-bay for UHF plus a separate high-VHF antenna for 7-13. The 4-bay would be UHF-only and you really need the greater gain and directivity of the 8-bay for UHF.

There are a number of suitable pre-amps that should work.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Old 19-Dec-2014, 12:44 PM   #7
timgr

My current setup is very similar to what ADTech recommends. I'm using a Antennas Direct DB8e and a Antennacraft Y10713 on the same mast, with an Antennacraft 10G221 preamplifier to mix the signal from the two antennas. I have both strong local and distant stations, so you could likely use the 10G222 which has higher gain than the 10G221. The RCA TVPRAMPR1 is also recommended frequently, inexpensive and high quality. Read about the gotchas with this amp though - goofy switch positions from the factory and breakable plastic case. Antennas Direct is also coming out with a preamp soon, so I hear - you might keep track of that.

Use your compass and point directly at Mt. Wilson, 81 degrees magnetic. If you can move the antenna around before you pick a permanent site, that could be helpful.

Last edited by timgr; 19-Dec-2014 at 12:47 PM.
Old 19-Dec-2014, 11:01 PM   #8
JGoodwin

I'm good with using the Antennas Direct DB8e. Is there any antenna that is smaller or a different design that can replace the Antenna-craft Y10713 size and still do the job?
Old 19-Dec-2014, 11:38 PM   #9
timgr

You are somewhat limited with the VHF band. The long wavelength of the VHF signal implies that you need an antenna with a similar length. You could maybe use the Antennas Direct ClearStream 5, which has a different form factor from the long Y10713. It trades off large in a planar sense for the length of the Y10713. https://www.antennasdirect.com/store...V-antenna.html It is also considerably more expensive, and its stated gain is lower.
Old 19-Dec-2014, 11:48 PM   #10
JGoodwin

The Antennas Direct ClearStream 5 states it's also a UHF. Is it just a poor antenna to do both UHF and VHF. Sorry for the questions I only want to do this once.
Old 20-Dec-2014, 12:34 PM   #11
ADTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGoodwin View Post
The Antennas Direct ClearStream 5 states it's also a UHF. Is it just a poor antenna to do both UHF and VHF. Sorry for the questions I only want to do this once.
The C5 was designed to be a high VHF antenna (channels 7-13) and just happens to be useful for short-to-medium range UHF. It would not be considered appropriate for UHF duties in your situation which does call for a UHF antenna that is far more directional and with higher gain.

For high VHF, it's intended to compete head to head with the high-VHF antennas that are about half the length of the AC Y10713. It compensates for some of that by being ultra efficient and using a high-efficiency balun. It would likely do as well as could be expected for your area for your VHF requirements.

Old 25-Dec-2014, 6:46 AM   #12
JGoodwin

Do you think I can put the Antennacraft Y10713 in the attic and the Antenna direct DB8e on the roof or will the attic block to much signal?
Old 31-Dec-2014, 3:38 PM   #13
JGoodwin

Will this work

Do you think I can put the Antennacraft Y10713 in the attic and the Antenna direct DB8e on the roof or will the attic block to much signal?
Old 31-Dec-2014, 4:10 PM   #14
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGoodwin View Post

Looking at your report, it looks like both of them need to be on the roof. You should separate them about 4 feet apart on the mast or more. By the way, the Y10713 is for Hi VHF channels 7-13. If you are looking to pick up channels 2, 3 and 6 you will need an antenna for Lo VHF.

It will help everyone make better suggestions if you will tell us which stations are your "must haves".
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-Dec-2014, 4:23 PM   #15
JGoodwin

Original Post-
Here is my Signal Analysis

What antenna and tuner if needed would I need to receive all the channels to the East of this report.

Antenna will be 15' off the ground. Which is the top of my single story ranch style house. I have one large tree across the street that is in my line of sight to the East. I prefer not to have a 10' antenna on my roof, if possible.

Thanks for your help.

RESPOND BY TIMGR-
My current setup is very similar to what ADTech recommends. I'm using a Antennas Direct DB8e and a Antennacraft Y10713 on the same mast, with an Antennacraft 10G221 preamplifier to mix the signal from the two antennas. I have both strong local and distant stations, so you could likely use the 10G222 which has higher gain than the 10G221. The RCA TVPRAMPR1 is also recommended frequently, inexpensive and high quality. Read about the gotchas with this amp though - goofy switch positions from the factory and breakable plastic case. Antennas Direct is also coming out with a preamp soon, so I hear - you might keep track of that.

I just want to know if I can put the Y10713 in the attic or will it loose too much signal?

Thank you.
Old 31-Dec-2014, 5:42 PM   #16
timgr

Unlikely to work IMO - but the plot is only a simulation and therefor a best guess. Too little signal for an attic install. Tree in the way - which isn't as bad for VHF but still reduces the signal.

Go high, above the tree top or avoid the tree, and outdoors.
Old 31-Dec-2014, 6:17 PM   #17
JGoodwin

The tree is directly across the street and is very tall. I think it's too close and to tall to go over. I think it will be a gamble that I'll just have to take. Thanks Tim.
Old 13-Jan-2015, 5:52 PM   #18
JGoodwin

Antennacraft Y10713 vs Clear Stream C5

Has anyone had experience with these antennas- Antennacraft Y10713 vs Clear Stream C5

Any input would be great. I'm trying to determine which on will work better for me.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...2c15ab292fddc0
Old 13-Jan-2015, 9:17 PM   #19
timgr

Did you compare the specs? ADTech here says the CS5 is meant to be comparable to antennas like the Y5713. The Y10713 is more sensitive than the CS5.

I own a Y10713, and it works much better than my report predicts. No complaints.

They are both optimized for real channels 7-13.

Last edited by timgr; 13-Jan-2015 at 9:26 PM.
Old 14-Jan-2015, 6:05 PM   #20
ADTech

Trying to compare an 8' 4" long, 3' wide Yagi to an antenna that's not much larger than a 1990 25" color TV set isn't a heads up comparison. There are times when you do need the greater gain and directivity of the long-boom Yagi, especially when dealing with the faintest high VHF signals or with multipath. The C5, OTOH, is intended to be a very compact and efficient receiving antenna with a nice, broad ~70° beamwidth.

Different critters for different applications most of the time.

Much of Simi Valley is a dead area for reception of the LA stations. It takes hard work and perseverance to pull something from the other side of the mountains.

Last edited by ADTech; 14-Jan-2015 at 6:08 PM.