TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 12-Jan-2015, 9:23 PM   #1
ota@snoqualmie

No OTA reception in Snoqualmie, WA. Will ganged antennas help?

My TV Fool profile (below) indicates I should have no problem receiving KCTS-DT and KCPQ-DT using a roof mounted Winegard YA-1713 (high band VHF) antenna.

I get nothing. I can get several independent channels (33.x, 42.1, 46.x) but these I'm not interested in.

My test bed includes antenna, 40' coax antenna lead and a 2005 plasma TV. I'm tried this with a Channel Master Titan 2 amp and still get nothing.

Below is a pic from my roof looking west.

I figure TV Fool is either a bit optimistic or the tuner on my TV is lacking. Since no other homes in the neighborhood have a roof mounted antenna I suspect the former over the latter.

Would a second, ganged high band VHF antenna up the db enough to receive these channels? KCPQ-DT broadcasts Seahawks games and we'd like to watch those that are available.

Any help appreciated.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...d243b98f3b0676

20150101_150852 by onp2006, on Flickr
ota@snoqualmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Jan-2015, 11:08 PM   #2
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

If you're getting "nothing", adding a second antenna will get you twice as much.

There's something as yet unidentified that is faulty or deficient in your system.

I'd start with a different TV set, if at all possible. A 2005 design was pretty primitive compared to those available just two-four years later.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.

Last edited by ADTech; 12-Jan-2015 at 11:13 PM.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Jan-2015, 12:13 AM   #3
Jake V

Is the Winegard YA-1713 your only antenna?

What are you using for UHF (you seem to be getting a few UHF channels)?

If you also have a separate UHF antenna, how are the signals combined? If you are using a combiner then make sure the connections are correct.
Jake V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Jan-2015, 1:21 AM   #4
GroundUrMast

Presuming that the existing TV has support for ATSC (digital format for OTA), ADTech is correct to question it's performance. Be sure that you have set the tuner to scan for ATSC channels, not the common default of cable (QAM). If the tuner is not set correctly, you'll never see any OTA signals.

If that fails and you don't have access to a newer tuner, the $40 HomeWorx HW-150PVR is a very good set top tuner that has full HD capability along with many other useful features. http://www.amazon.com/Mediasonic-HW-.../dp/B00I2ZBD1U

The VHF only YA-1713 should be able to deliver real CH-13.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Jan-2015, 7:29 PM   #5
ota@snoqualmie

Quote:
Is the Winegard YA-1713 your only antenna?
I ran a test to ensure the tuner on the plasma tv was working during which I used a UHF antenna to receive the channels that are LOS (33.x, 42.1 and 46.x). Since these are LOS I figured this was a good way to test the tv tuner. Now when I try to get 13.1 there's the antenna (YA-1713), coax, plasma tv and nothing else.

Quote:
Be sure that you have set the tuner to scan for ATSC channels
Good idea and to confirm I just ran another test. During the scan it specifically states "Now scanning for digital channels". The end result is still no KCPQ-DT or KCTS-DT.

The specs for the plasma can be found here

Quote:
I'd start with a different TV set
I'm looking for a used but newer (>=2010) HDTV on craigslist. I suppose it's possible the VHF tuner on my present plasma isn't the best but I think it more likely the analysis provided by TV Fool needs a calibration. That I've yet to see a roof top antenna on the hundreds of homes in this area would seem to confirm this.

I'll update this thread when I have something to comment on.

Thanks all
Old 13-Jan-2015, 9:30 PM   #6
GroundUrMast

The specs include "ATSC" in the list of signal formats supported by the tuner. If you have successfully tuned KWPX, KUSE or KWDK you have proven the tuner is capable of tuning and decoding ATSC.

The lack of antennas on your neighbors roofs may speak to the quality of signals available... But the Cable and Satellite companies have done an effective job during the last two decades, convincing people that they have no choice but to pay for TV service. I trust your TVFR far more than the cable or satellite companies.

Old 14-Jan-2015, 12:17 PM   #7
Ben Myers
KD3WB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ota@snoqualmie View Post
I ran a test to ensure the tuner on the plasma tv was working during which I used a UHF antenna to receive the channels that are LOS (33.x, 42.1 and 46.x). Since these are LOS I figured this was a good way to test the tv tuner. Now when I try to get 13.1 there's the antenna (YA-1713), coax, plasma tv and nothing else.

Good idea and to confirm I just ran another test. During the scan it specifically states "Now scanning for digital channels". The end result is still no KCPQ-DT or KCTS-DT.

The specs for the plasma can be found here

I'm looking for a used but newer (>=2010) HDTV on craigslist. I suppose it's possible the VHF tuner on my present plasma isn't the best but I think it more likely the analysis provided by TV Fool needs a calibration. That I've yet to see a roof top antenna on the hundreds of homes in this area would seem to confirm this.

I'll update this thread when I have something to comment on.

Thanks all
The plasma television you are using has a built-in signal strength meter and seems to have the ability to add channels manually. Page 30 in the English users manual.

http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model...s&support#tabs

Tune the television to channel 9.1, enable the signal strength meter, aim the antenna toward the west and see what you get. It may be helpful to get someone to watch the television while you are aiming the antenna.

Last edited by Ben Myers; 14-Jan-2015 at 12:40 PM.
Ben Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Jan-2015, 5:44 PM   #8
ADTech

I seem to recall that Winegards old knowledge base had an article that had to do with troubleshooting the phasing lines on some of their larger antennas. Can't find it now that they revamped their site recently.

I'd suggest giving them a call and seeing if they can offer assistance with their product.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Old 14-Jan-2015, 11:00 PM   #9
ota@snoqualmie

I got a Samsung Digital HDTV Receiver, model DTB-H260F. Attached to antenna, coax and HDMI input to plasma DTV.

No joy.

When it scanned for channels it paused at both 9 (KCTS) and 13 (KCPQ) but neither were stored. Despite using a high band VHF antenna most if not all the LOS UHF channels were detected and stored.

The signal meter showed an occasional single bar when I manually selected ch 9. For reference ch 33.3 had two solid bars and ch 6, an unused channel, showed no bars. Ch 13 also showed an occasional single bar.

During this test I had a helper and swung the antenna around. No other position showed more than the occasional single bar. I even spun it around 180 just to make sure I had it pointed in the correct direction. My original setup of 269 was the best.

Tilting the mast didn't help either.

That the signal meter shows an occasional bar tells me there's some signal in the air, just not enough. Hence my original question regarding a second YA-1713 antenna.

Quote:
I'd suggest giving them a call and seeing if they can offer assistance with their product
I sent an email to Winegard 2-3 hours. Referenced my TV Fool signal profile and this thread. I asked them to comment on the possibility of a defective antenna. I'll let you know what they respond with.

Thanks all. I'll post again when I have something else to comment on.
Old 15-Jan-2015, 2:35 AM   #10
GroundUrMast

It's a bit of a long shot but look for a usable signal on real CH-22. If your UHF antenna can pull it out of the mud, it's an identical version of the programming on real CH-13.

Old 15-Jan-2015, 11:31 AM   #11
ADTech

At this point, I'd be investigating the following:

1. Follow up with WG re: the antenna balun and phasing harness.
2. Swap coax
3. Investigate electrical or electronic noise.

The last one is best done with a spectrum analyzer, usually not something you'll find except in the hands of a serious hobbyist or someone who need one for their daily work. Do you know any cable techs? They usually use one that also works for OTA systems.

Old 15-Jan-2015, 2:23 PM   #12
Ben Myers
KD3WB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ota@snoqualmie View Post
I got a Samsung Digital HDTV Receiver, model DTB-H260F. Attached to antenna, coax and HDMI input to plasma DTV.

No joy.

When it scanned for channels it paused at both 9 (KCTS) and 13 (KCPQ) but neither were stored. Despite using a high band VHF antenna most if not all the LOS UHF channels were detected and stored.

The signal meter showed an occasional single bar when I manually selected ch 9. For reference ch 33.3 had two solid bars and ch 6, an unused channel, showed no bars. Ch 13 also showed an occasional single bar.

During this test I had a helper and swung the antenna around. No other position showed more than the occasional single bar. I even spun it around 180 just to make sure I had it pointed in the correct direction. My original setup of 269 was the best.

Tilting the mast didn't help either.

That the signal meter shows an occasional bar tells me there's some signal in the air, just not enough. Hence my original question regarding a second YA-1713 antenna.

I sent an email to Winegard 2-3 hours. Referenced my TV Fool signal profile and this thread. I asked them to comment on the possibility of a defective antenna. I'll let you know what they respond with.

Thanks all. I'll post again when I have something else to comment on.
Make sure the connections between the balun and the receiving elements on the antenna are intact and that they are not touching the boom or each other. Also, it might be helpful to know if you are getting KSTW on real channel eleven.
Ben Myers is offline   Reply With Quote