TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 9-Jan-2015, 2:34 AM   #1
bohiti

Quick question regarding attic placement..

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...2c1574ac5781a5

27 is my main challenge/goal, I think the others are easy enough. Have a DB8e and Y5713 on the way, TVPRAMP1R to combine/amp.

Despite the downsides of attic installation, its going to be my first effort. Wondering if you all can save me a few hours of work with your gut instincts:

I have two attic areas I can try.
  1. Above the living area. Wading through nasty blown insulation, yuck. Will be able to get a north-bound view (transmitters ~ north) through the side of the house (plywood/vinyl siding), mostly not through shingles. Will have some partial blockage from neighbors house.
  2. Over the garage. No insulation to wade through. Can get up 5-8 ft higher. Will avoid the neighbors house better, but north-bound will be through shingles. New house with standard materials.

Which would you try first? Prioritize on avoiding going through shingles or the neighbors house?

I totally understand no promises can be made. Appreciate your thoughts. Thanks!
bohiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-Jan-2015, 3:00 AM   #2
bohiti

Not sure how I hadn't seen http://www.hdtvprimer.com/antennas/siting.html before, but it helps me understand the situations. I do still have a trade-off, though. I'm in Wisconsin, so my shingles hold quite a bit of snow for 4 months out of the year. Sounds like that's a killer.

But UHF doesn't defract/recover from obstacles as well, so my neighbors house is also a problem. Well, we'll see.

Thanks for reading this far. Still appreciate any input.
bohiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-Jan-2015, 1:25 PM   #3
Jake V

Snow and rain can be a killer when looking through shingles.

But so can any type of house-wrap with metal or foil in it.

You're going to have to just try. If that were me I'd start by aiming through the side of the house rather than singles potentially covered with snow. You're going to have be patient and try everywhere in the attic (a few inches can make all the difference). But at 13.4 dB real channel 27 is going to be difficult since you will loose half the signal through the structure. You might have to move the antenna outdoors in the end.
Jake V is offline   Reply With Quote