TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 7-Jan-2015, 1:45 AM   #21
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roundabout View Post
Tower Guy, I'm not quite sure how to interpret the elevation plot you posted, but I do understand ESE corner

I'm also not quite sure of what you meant by the top of Frankish Peak being visible above the roof? If the antenna is going to be close to the ground somewhere in the yard, the roof won't be in the path of the antenna, so are you just saying that I should shoot for the peak of Frankish when aiming, and as long as I can see it clearly from the front of the antenna it should be OK? Note that the back of the yard (which is the south part of the property) is sloped and lower than the front, although there are probably less obstacles in the path towards the mountains.

I found out that my cheapo Sylvania LCD TV has a signal strength indicator for each channel that I could probably use for aiming, although I'd have to drag it around with a power cord to do so. Not a big deal, I can just get someone to help me with aiming and watching. It's not going to be super accurate but it may get the job done.
The plot in my previous post shows how an antenna at 27" off the ground has an elevated lobe on channel 43 that aims toward the top of the mountain called Frankish Peak. With the land sloping up, the actual height will be a bit higher.

In order for the low height to work correctly, the land in front of the antenna for about 30 feet must also see Frankish Peak from ground level. It seems to me that you may be able to miss the back of your house and aim over your neighbor's house.

The height of an antenna at CBS in San Diego will need to be higher than the antenna aimed at LA. In any event, a two CBS station situation may help with regional football coverage, especially now that the Rams are rumored to be moving back to LA. For instance on December 7, LA carried a 1 PM game and San Diego carried a 4 PM game. http://506sports.com/nfl.php?yr=2014&wk=14
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote