TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 12-Nov-2011, 2:33 AM   #1
Dirtgrain

Help Choosing Antenna _ Ypsilanti, Michigan

Hello all. I'm looking to buy an antenna to install on the second-story roof of my house so that I can get rid of U-verse and save some money. Here is my TV Signal Analysis: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...ec1244d26fb808.

Channels I want, if possible:
  • The major network channels and PBS--all between 46 and 60 degrees and 23 to 28 miles away.
  • I didn't see it in this analysis, but I did see from other sites that Fox (WJBK), a channel I want, is VHF, while all the other channels here are broadcast in UHF.
  • I see that the Ion channel (WPXD-DT) signal comes from another direction--291 degrees and 24 miles away--but it would be nice to get that, too.
  • I wonder if I can get CBC (CBET, a Canadian station), which is also not in the same direction as most of the major network signal points--it's coming from 101 degrees and 36 miles away.

The antenna would be 20-25 feet high above the ground, but I have several trees around the house. The TV (JVC Black Crystal 37"--specs here if that matters) is on the ground-level floor. When it searched for channels, with no external antenna hooked up, it only "picked up" three channels: two showed nothing, and one showed a very messed up, white noise image. Before digital broadcasting, on a CRT TV, I got maybe six or seven channels with an indoor, powered antenna, but only two channels came in very well. I'm assuming a roof-mounted antenna is the way to go.

I don't have an antenna mounted on the roof now, and I'm looking for recommendations on an antenna and good hardware for mounting it. I'm thinking of mounting it at the peak of the roof to get it as high up as I can.

Please let me know what you think. Thanks.
Dirtgrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Nov-2011, 3:47 PM   #2
Dirtgrain

Oh, CBC (CBET, the Canadian channel) is VHF (in addition to the Fox channel).
Old 14-Nov-2011, 1:10 AM   #3
Dave Loudin

Your local channels are pretty strong, including the ION affiliate. CBET is also fairly strong, so you don't need a high gain antenna. An RCA ANT-751 aimed towards CBET should do nicely. The ION station will come in via the back of the antenna.
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Nov-2011, 7:37 AM   #4
GroundUrMast

@ DL, Agreed, simple is usually best. I was on my way to making this one more complicated than it needed to be. You saved me from embarrassing myself in public, thanks.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Nov-2011, 10:30 PM   #5
Dave Loudin

No worries!
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Nov-2011, 11:25 PM   #6
Dirtgrain

I forgot to thank you all. Thanks. I'm going with the RCA.