TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 20-Mar-2011, 3:35 PM   #1
fukukita

Newbie needs advice for antenna and amp upgrade

I just terminated my Dish subscription as I was tired of being fleeced. House has an old VHF-FM antenna (~12 foot boom, unknown manufacturer) and a Channel Master Model 7331B VHF/FM distibution amplifier located in the attic connected to 5 TV outlets in the house. Am able to get the local PBS stations (12 and 10) as well as two distant stations (7 and 13).

Would like to upgrade the antenna and amplifier to receive the UHF stations (channels 32, 15, and 28).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

My TV Fool map report
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...8d17a1beeefd94
fukukita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Mar-2011, 4:27 PM   #2
John Candle

Tv Antennas and Reception

You have 5 outlets in the house , how many will be actively used ?? What is the Tv wiring being used through out the house ?? If any of it is the old twin lead then it will need to be replaced with RG-6 coax and if it is a combination of this and that other wiring it will need replaced with RG-6 coax. I recommend a Winegard HD7697P antenna pointed at about 340 magnetic compass. . To find out if a amplifier will be needed , how many Tv's will be connected ??

Last edited by John Candle; 20-Mar-2011 at 4:33 PM.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Mar-2011, 7:46 PM   #3
GroundUrMast

Your TVF report was generated at 10' AGL. If you will be mounting at a higher elevation, can you generate a new report at the actual antenna elevation?

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Mar-2011, 10:04 PM   #4
fukukita

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Candle View Post
You have 5 outlets in the house , how many will be actively used ?? What is the Tv wiring being used through out the house ?? If any of it is the old twin lead then it will need to be replaced with RG-6 coax and if it is a combination of this and that other wiring it will need replaced with RG-6 coax. I recommend a Winegard HD7697P antenna pointed at about 340 magnetic compass. . To find out if a amplifier will be needed , how many Tv's will be connected ??
The original antenna wiring (more than 35 years old) in the house is coaxial type. The old antenna has a twin lead connections which was then connected to the amplifier by coaxial. I also have access to the satellite wiring system which is RG-6 which I plan to use. Of the five outlets, three will have TVs conencted although only two will be used at any one time.

Many thanks for the antenna recommendation and advice on compass direction.
Old 20-Mar-2011, 10:13 PM   #5
fukukita

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
Your TVF report was generated at 10' AGL. If you will be mounting at a higher elevation, can you generate a new report at the actual antenna elevation?
The present antenna is about 12 ft AGL. I generated anew report but the numbers changed very little.

I am reluctant to install the antenna outside on the roof as my house experiences high winds at times. Street's name is "viento" which in spanish translates into "wind".
Old 21-Mar-2011, 12:27 AM   #6
John Candle

The HD7697P antenna is long , if it will fit in the attic then try it in the attic. If you decide that the attic is not working well enough , The Winegard HD line of antennas are very Strong and Sturdy and with a Strong and Sturdy antenna mount such as a tripod mount or chimney mount or peak of the roof eave mount , the antenna will be in good working condition for a long time. . I recommend connecting the Tv's to the antenna with plain simple 2 way or 3 way splitter to begin with and see if can receive channels down to digital channel KXLY-TV 13 ABC. If a little more signal power is needed to get KXLY to 2 or 3 Tv's then I recommend a Channel Master CM 3414 distribution amp. . Not a preamp. . Be sure and use 75 ohm terminators on any unused output ports of the distribution amp.

Last edited by John Candle; 22-Mar-2011 at 4:14 PM.
Old 21-Mar-2011, 3:52 AM   #7
GroundUrMast

John's suggestion is a very good replacement for your existing antenna.

Here is another thing to consider...

If your existing antenna has been in the attic for 35 years, it's likely in the same condition it was the day it was installed. Unless there are severely bent or broken parts, it could easily offer another 35 years service.

You indicate it's receiving channel 13, KXLY from Spokane. That indicates to me that it's an excellent, high gain VHF antenna.

You may want to consider simply adding a UHF antenna. A 4-bay panel antenna such as the Antennacraft U4000, Antennas Direct DB-4 or CS-4, Channel Master CM-4221, or Winegard HD-4400 facing Spokane would easily fill the missing stations in your lineup. Combining VHF and UHF signals is easily done with an inexpensive UVSJ. Especially in a tough climate like E-WA, the compact panel antenna would fair well if mounted in the weather, which is where it will have cleaner signal to work with.

Channel 32 will be an 'odd one out' given it's south of you. However, it may come in the backside of the panel antenna given it's higher signal level.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 21-Mar-2011 at 5:04 AM.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Mar-2011, 1:46 PM   #8
fukukita

Thanks John and GroundUrMast for the helpful advice. I now have enough confidence to proceed based on your recommendations.

The present antenna has a couple of severely bent elements (the longest ones) so I purchase a new one.
Old 21-Mar-2011, 5:02 PM   #9
John Candle

Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html Read and understand this about , Real Digital Tv Channels , Virtual Digital Tv Channels , Analog Tv Channels , http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=695 Here are some free online Tv guides , http://www.titantv .com , http://television.aol.com , http://zap2it.com

Last edited by John Candle; 12-Apr-2011 at 9:05 AM.