TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 25-Apr-2012, 4:58 PM   #1
TimN

Should I point north, south or both?

I wish I had found this website before I bought all of my equipment!

I mounted a ClearStream4 antenna in my attic and have a Zinwell ZAT-970A Digital to Analog TV Converter Box. My house sits up on a hill and there is nothing blocking views from the North or South, I do have several trees East and West.

Here is my report:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...7fcf4e47ab137b

What I really care about is getting ABC, CBS, NBC and FOX. If I point my antenna north to Indidanpolis at about 345 degrees I get ABC and FOX in really good. NBC has very poor quality and cuts in and out. I can not get CBS at all.

If I point my antenna south towards Louisville, 176 degrees, I get CBS and NBC really good but could not get FOX or ABC.

Now for my questions...Is there a better antenna I should have bought or is the ClearStream4 getting me about all I can get?

It seems like I should be able to get ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox all from 176 degrees but I am only getting the two. What am I missing? Do I just need to spend more time adjusting my antenna?

I am toying with the idea of buying a second antenna so I can have one pointed at 345 degrees and the other at 176 degrees and using a Winegard CC-7870 2-Way TV Antenna Joiner Coupler to combine the two antennas on one cable. Is this a good or bad idea?

Thanks for any help! -- Tim
TimN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Apr-2012, 5:32 PM   #2
Dave Loudin

I highly recommend you read the Signal Analysis FAQ that's linked to on your report. You will likely come to the same conclusions that I have.

First, you must pay attention to the "Real Channel" column, as those are the channels actually being broadcast on. The "Virtual Channel" is what you use to tell your receiver where to tune, and it is just a label embedded in the data transmitted.

Next, your report predicts exactly the results you are getting for reception of the Indianapolis stations. The two stations you have trouble with are a) weaker and b) broadcast on high-VHF channels. Your antenna is designed to be a UHF antenna, but it does have some sensitivity to VHF channels. The difference between the NBC and CBS channels is the difference in how the ClearStream 4 performs.

For the Louisville stations, your report correctly shows that you will have trouble with ABC, as it is again a) weaker, and b) on high-VHF. The report also suggests why you are having trouble with the FOX station. It is transmitted on channel 49, right next to a very strong CW station (WTTV) broadcast on channel 48.

You need to add a high-VHF antenna to your system, like an AntennaCraft Y5-7-13. Combine it to your CS4 with a special, but not expensive, combiner known as a UVSJ. Aim them towards the market of your choice.

There's no good way to combine an additional antenna in order to have both markets at the same time. If you want to have both, then get something like a Winegard HD-7696P and run a separate cable down to the TV. Use an A/B switch to choose which antenna system to use.

Last edited by Dave Loudin; 25-Apr-2012 at 5:48 PM. Reason: Don't waste the CS4
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Apr-2012, 6:16 PM   #3
GroundUrMast

Concurring with @Dave Loudin, combining antennas with a broadband combiner such as the CC-7870 and reversed splitters, almost always produces mixed/disappointing results. Maybe one or two signals can be improved, but very often at the expense of others that were fine before trying to add signals together. Unless you use expensive filters on each antenna, desired signal from one will be combined with interference from the other antenna. Tinlee.com is one of the few remaining sources of filtered passive antenna combiners.

An A/B switch is a valid option. Alternately, many TV's have more than one auxiliary video input. If this is true in your case, you could opt to add a second tuner/converter. http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=2882

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 1-May-2012 at 5:33 PM.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Apr-2012, 8:08 PM   #4
TimN

Is there any advantage to having two seperate antennas, one for VHF and the other for UHF? I ask because I have a neighbor who is letting me figure out how best to make this work and then he is going to follow what I do. It sounds like I would have been better off getting the Winegard HD-7696P over the CS4 and AntennaCraft Y5-7-13. Maybe I can prevent him from makeing the same mistake.

Thanks again! -- Tim
Old 25-Apr-2012, 9:33 PM   #5
Electron

Tv antennas and Tv reception

The tvfool radar report says resloved to city level only. That is not the exact address.

It is much better to have exact address because there can be big differences in reception even from one block to the next in hilly and mountain locations.

That said and based on the city level tvfool radar map. You have two markets to choose from , to the north north/west and to the south.

The north north/west market has Many More Tv stations/channels to receive , Aim a Winegard HD7698P antenna with a Antennas Direct CPA-19 preamp aimed at about 335 degree magnetic compass.

Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

The HD7698P will be mounted above the roof.
Here are some strong and sturdy antenna mounts , http://www.ronard.com/909911.html , http://www.ronard.com/34424560.html , http://www.ronard.com/ychim.html , http://www.ronard.com.

Buy the ronard antenna mounts from solidsignal by typing the word ronard in the solidsignal search box or buy from ronard.

Here are places to buy antennas and etc. , http://www.solidsignal.com , http://www.winegarddirect.com , http://www.antennasdirect.com , http://www.amazon.com.

Last edited by Electron; 20-May-2012 at 11:00 PM.
Electron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Apr-2012, 10:03 PM   #6
Electron

For the reception of the Tv stations/channels to the south , combine the CS4 with a C5 antenna and aim both at about 181 degree magnetic compass. The C5 will be on the bottom and the CS4 on top.

The C5 comes with a UVSJ UHF/VHF Separator/Joiner to connect both the CS4 and C5 together.

If you decide to receive the south Tv stations then the HD7698P antenna system then the CS4/C5 antenna system WILL NOT be combined on to one coax.

The north north/west antenna system and the south antenna system WILL HAVE and WILL BE Separate Systems and coax all the way to the Tv location and be connected to a Radio Shack # 15-1968 A/B remote control antenna switch.
The output of the A/B switch will connect to the Tv.

After you think all this over for awhile you will most likely say , I do not require the south Tv stations , so what do I do with the CS4 antenna??

There is the garage sale.

In the future for your friends antenna setup , Use the Exact address to make the tvfoll radar report and make the antenna height 25 feet. If your friend has the same reception as your location then it will be HD7698P / CPA-19 preamp for the north/north west Tv stations , and a HD7698P with no preamp for the south Tv stations.

Last edited by Electron; 20-May-2012 at 11:04 PM.
Old 25-Apr-2012, 10:20 PM   #7
Electron

How many Tv's are/will be connected at your house and your friends house??
Old 26-Apr-2012, 12:35 AM   #8
TimN

I will have three TVs connected to the antenna, I think my neighbor will have four or five TVs connected to his.

I tried to run the report for my address but it ends up giving me a report from somewhere in Canada. My neighborhood is only a few years old so I figured it has not yet been added to the maps used.

Thanks, -- Tim
Old 26-Apr-2012, 3:34 AM   #9
Electron

For your situation connect a 3 way splitter for the distribution of the north north/west stations.

And if you choose to receive the south Tv stations then it will be a separate 3 way splitter and cabling to the 3 TV's and there will be remote control A/B switch at each Tv for selecting the north north/west stations or south stations.

If your friend has 4 Tv's then it's the same thing only use 4 way splitters. I suggest receive the north north/west Tv stations only , that way no double the wiring. .

To make a radar map of the exact location of your house go to the tvfool home page and go to the >>Start MAPS<< part of tvfool , move the pointer to your house location , make the antenna height 25 feet and make a radar map.

Last edited by Electron; 20-May-2012 at 11:06 PM.
Old 1-May-2012, 1:43 PM   #10
TimN

I stuck with my CS4 and bought an AntennaCraft Y5-7-13 because I am trying to keep the cost down. I have both pointed NNW and am now getting the four stations I want, ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox. I am getting about 25 stations total but three of them break up on me sometimes, WTTV, WRTV-DT and WISH-DT.

Here is a more exact map for my location:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...de6526988ca4e4

So I am thinking I need an amplifier.

When I tried the following I only had the CS4. I unhooked the cable from the antenna that runs to my splitter, attached a six foot cable to the antenna and ran it to the amplifier. I attached the cable I just unhooked from my antenna to the output of the amplifier and then plugged in the amplifier. I rescaned for stations and could only get one, WCLJ-DT. Thinking I might have gotten a bad amplifier I got another one, hooked it up the same way but got the same result, only one station. I then thought maybe my six foot cable was bad so I unhooked the amplifier and connected the six foot cable to the cable that runs to my splitter and all of my stations came back. So, I figure it has to be something I am doing wrong with the amplifier.

I tried a Motorola 484095-001-00 and a RCA TVPRAMP1R. Are those just the wrong amplifiers? Any suggestions on what I did wrong? Thanks, -- Tim
Old 1-May-2012, 2:30 PM   #11
Electron

The RCA TVPRAMP1R has connections for a UHF antenna and a VHF antenna and also a combined single antenna. Here is the manual for the amplifier , http://www.manualowl.com/m/Manual/194156.

Also some but not all splitters have a DC power pass through that goes through one or more ports. The output port and the input ports of the splitter. ( Reason: to get the power through the splitter to the preamp)

Connect the power supply and power injector on the output side of the splitter and the preamp part on the input side of the splitter.

If you do not know one way or the other about the splitter then put All parts of the RCA TVPRAMAMP1R on the input side of the splitter. Also all parts of the preamp are required.

When using the UVSJ with the RCA TVPRAMAMP1R set the Separate / Common switch of the preamp to Common. When not using the the UVSJ , set the switch to Separate and connect the separate UHF and VHF to the preamp.

Last edited by Electron; 20-May-2012 at 11:08 PM.
Old 1-May-2012, 2:48 PM   #12
TimN

Yes, I got the Pico Macom UVSJ UHF VHF Band Separator/Combiner for Antenna, AntennaCraft Y5-7-13 and the Winegard TV-2900 300 to 75 Ohm Matching Transformer all from the solid signal website.
Old 1-May-2012, 3:28 PM   #13
Electron

The UVSJ must be used with the Motorola 484095-001-00 amplifier. Put the Motorola amplifier and power supply of the Motorola amplifier all on the input side of the splitter. The input side of the splitter is what antenna connects to.
Old 2-May-2012, 12:58 PM   #14
TimN

If I have to put the amplifier between the antenna and the UVSJ I guess that means I need two amplifiers, one for the CS4 and another for the AntennaCraft Y5-7-13? If I get two Motorola 484095-001-00 amplifiers will that work or is there something better I should use? Thanks, -- Tim
Old 2-May-2012, 2:03 PM   #15
Electron

Tv Antennas and Tv Reception

The antennas are connected to the UVSJ , the UVSJ combines the signals to one output , the Motorola amplifier goes inbetween the UVSJ output and the splitter input. Or another way to say it is , connect the Motorola amplifier to the output of the UVSJ.

Last edited by Electron; 2-May-2012 at 2:08 PM.