TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 7-Nov-2010, 12:05 AM   #1
xchecker

Getting Started in Southern VT

I am in the Bennington VT area, about 40 miles east of the Albany NY area broadcasters. We are currently served by Comcast for both cable TV and internet connectivity. Our home is about half way up a hill and oriented E-W. It's a traditional stick-built raised ranch about a story and a half tall with the western end towards the street where all our services currently enter.

I am exploring dropping the cable TV service (but keeping the Comcast internet - its the only broadband option available to us) in favor of online and OTA. I have three TVs in use in the house and no other gear to use for OTA.

What equipment, costs and trade-offs am I looking at to bring the major network stations from Albany to my house OTA? What would you recommend, if anything?

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: png Radar-All.png (71.7 KB, 588 views)
xchecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Nov-2010, 12:46 AM   #2
Tigerbangs
TV Reception Maven

Send a message via AIM to Tigerbangs Send a message via Yahoo to Tigerbangs
You'll need an all-channel deep-fringe antenna aimed at the Helderberg mountains southwest of Albany, about 45 miles away. Since you have 4 VHF stations to receive, one of them (WRGB) on low-band VHF channel 6, I would suggest using either a Channel Master Crossfire 3671 or a Winegard HD-8200u mounted on your roof, aimed at 255 degrees, as measured by your compass. If you have 3 TV sets to run, you'll need a preamplifier like a Winegard AP-8275 or a Channel Master Titan 7777 and a good 3-4 way splitter. You may be able to re-purpose the cable from the cable Tv company, but you'll have to make your connections after the cable TV company has disconnected your primary cable. I think that you'll find that Comcast will charge you more to operate your internet if you don't subscribe to their TV service.

You may want to investigate subscribing to their 'basic' service, since the cable wiring is still intact in your house: I have a feeling that the cost will be about the same as subscribing to their internet service alone.
Tigerbangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Nov-2010, 8:44 AM   #3
kb2fzq

Quote:
Originally Posted by xchecker View Post
I am in the Bennington VT area, about 40 miles east of the Albany NY area broadcasters. We are currently served by Comcast for both cable TV and internet connectivity. Our home is about half way up a hill and oriented E-W. It's a traditional stick-built raised ranch about a story and a half tall with the western end towards the street where all our services currently enter.

I am exploring dropping the cable TV service (but keeping the Comcast internet - its the only broadband option available to us) in favor of online and OTA. I have three TVs in use in the house and no other gear to use for OTA.

What equipment, costs and trade-offs am I looking at to bring the major network stations from Albany to my house OTA? What would you recommend, if anything?

Thanks!
If it were me, before I disconnected any cable service, I'd make sure that receiving Albany stations will work reliably....I've been to Bennington many, many times, and driving from Troy to Bennington, I remember a very tall hill (mountain?) I would have to cross, and especially those hair-raising "S" turns before getting into the Bennington area...you might want to check it out first, as the 2edge remarks on your TVFool report confirms my suspicions...
kb2fzq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Nov-2010, 6:01 PM   #4
chumster

Our cable company lets you have locals for free if you have their broadband service, but you must have a digital tv for it to work.
chumster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-Nov-2010, 11:21 PM   #5
xchecker

Thanks all. I wasn't very optimistic but thought I'd explore the idea. Your replies confirm my caution.
xchecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-Nov-2010, 4:48 AM   #6
John Candle

Tv Reception

Easy to talk some one out of something , interesting
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-Nov-2010, 10:28 AM   #7
kb2fzq

Quote:
Thanks all. I wasn't very optimistic but thought I'd explore the idea. Your replies confirm my caution.
I'm not trying to talk you out of your idea, I'm just saying, see if it works before jumping off the cliff....get a cheap Radio Shack indoors antenna, and experiment...try it in all directions, as Burlington may be available if Albany is not, or especially the Pittsfield, Mass area, as ABC and NBC are there now and CBS will be coming soon....
Old 10-Nov-2010, 12:45 PM   #8
Tower Guy

Quote:

Thanks!
Tigerbangs suggestions are almost sure to work. I installed a HD7082P in Eagle Bridge at a house with a similar TVfool report. It required a preamp to work. I should have installed a larger antenna, but it was a pro bono project.

A two antenna solution is also possible. These would be a HD 5030 for VHF and a 91XG for UHF with a 7777 or AP 2870 preamp.

Last edited by Tower Guy; 10-Nov-2010 at 12:52 PM.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Nov-2010, 10:22 AM   #9
kb2fzq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Guy View Post
Tigerbangs suggestions are almost sure to work. I installed a HD7082P in Eagle Bridge at a house with a similar TVfool report. It required a preamp to work. I should have installed a larger antenna, but it was a pro bono project.

A two antenna solution is also possible. These would be a HD 5030 for VHF and a 91XG for UHF with a 7777 or AP 2870 preamp.
Good info, Fred, but that one word in your post is why I'm encouraging constructive causiousness in the OP's case, the cost for your second paragraph should come to near $100, maybe more, would not a cheap, simple test first be the wise approach (considering the TVF report)?
If he can even pull just 1 station on an insde loop antenna, then I'd say the project should go forward...that's just my 2 cents, because that is how I started this "hobby"....and gee, look at me now...crawl, walk, run...

Last edited by kb2fzq; 11-Nov-2010 at 10:34 AM.