TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 1-Dec-2011, 2:49 AM   #1
kd1yt

newbie- OTA without major PITA in hilly rural VT?

Hello all-

First post here.

Trying to figure out whether I can get OTA digital TV reception without it becoming a major burn-er of time and money, both of which are in short supply. Currently get no TV as I just won't spend the money on dish and the cable stops several miles short of my place.

I know (or knew) TV, radio, antenna technology rather well- used to earn good spending money as a teen (late 70s early 80s) repairing TVs. I've had an amateur radio license since age 15 so antennas, feedlines, etc., are also familiar.

Here's my location/ report

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...ec12068e4255bb

TV is a Sony KD-34XBR960 that I received as a hand-me-down (yes, a nice hand-me-down).

while I am familiar with TV/ RF technology, I am really unfamiliar with digital TV.

I have been hoping that digital might allow reception here without elaborate directional antennas, long coax runs, etc.

Do I stand a chance at that?

Suggestions eagerly appreciated

Thanks in advance
kd1yt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-Dec-2011, 4:42 AM   #2
GroundUrMast

You appear to be blocked by terrain. If you can't consider a tower, a rotator and the largest directional antennas available for UHF and high-VHF... Then I don't see any realistic hope of reliable reception at your location.

This path profile tells a sad tale. http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...dALLTV%26n%3d2 Only the largest high gain UHF and high-VHF antenna combinations would give you a chance at reception... You would be doing extremely well to get somewhat reliable reception of more than two or three stations.

I took the liberty to reverse engineer you location to somewhere near Long Meadow Hill. That looks like a good antenna location. http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...ec12d2383c8c01

I presume an idea such as this http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=1286 would fit in the category of "major PITA".

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 1-Dec-2011 at 7:45 PM. Reason: Added link to path profile
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-Dec-2011, 4:24 PM   #3
Electron

Reception

Check private message for more information.
Electron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-Dec-2011, 5:07 PM   #4
GroundUrMast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electron View Post
Check private message for more information.
Is there a reason you can't or won't share with the class?

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-Dec-2011, 1:07 PM   #5
kd1yt

Thanks, all, for the input. Longmeadow hill, which someone mentioned, is about a half mile behind my house, is the highest point for a long way. It would not be feasible for me to locate an antenna there. I know it blocks the major transmitters to the west, but was hoping I could still pull in something from the east or south, or that digital would allow reception of weaker signals than analog. Too spread thin on time and funds right now to even think of installing an elevated antenna.

Thanks
kd1yt is offline   Reply With Quote