TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 24-Dec-2014, 11:22 PM   #1
adadollie

Antenna choice for Central FL

I live about 20 miles north of Orlando. There was an antenna already installed at the house when I moved in, mast-mounted, about 18 feet high. I can pick up about 30 stations. On some stations there is quite a bit of pixelation - comes and goes - on others the signal drops out regularly. The antenna looks a little worse for wear and I'm thinking of replacing it. Any suggestions for a replacement?
Here's my TVFool report:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...d24373e5de2306
Thanks
adadollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Dec-2014, 11:54 PM   #2
Ben Myers
KD3WB

You might try an amplifier first.
Ben Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Dec-2014, 12:16 AM   #3
Jake V

Start by checking the basics:

1. Is the coax in good shape? Are all the connections tight? Trace from antenna to tv and check every connection.
2. Is there a splitter in use? What condition is it in? You might bypass it and run a length of coax directly to one TV as a test.
3. Inspect the antenna. The balun might have corroded connections or might be bad. It it aimed roughly southeast? Sometimes they can turn in a storm.
4. What kind of antenna is it? Your stations are all UHF except for one (WOFT). You might post a photo for the experts to look at and comment.
Jake V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Dec-2014, 2:00 PM   #4
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Do not try an amplifier, your signal levels are already calculated to be strong. Pixelization is, more often than not, due to signal quality issues, not signal power problems. An amplifier can only address signal power and can, if done wrong, degrade signal quality so as to make reception worse.

WOFT-LD is not on the air. Its owner, owns 7 stations, five of which appear to have never been on the air broadcasting regular programming.

The only VHF station on the air is WESH who also operates a UHF translator in Orange City. For NBC, you need to pick up one of those two signals.

Do perform a preventative/corrective inspection of your antenna and its connections as suggested, it may be something simple.

Examine your surroundings. Is the antenna aimed properly? Is it aimed into trees or other buildings? Any of these factors can cause unreliable reception.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Dec-2014, 1:44 AM   #5
adadollie

Thanks for the advice. I'll try your suggestions and see what happens. I'd be happy not to have to replace the antenna.
adadollie is offline   Reply With Quote