TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 27-Sep-2013, 10:19 PM   #1
KJac

Poor Reception New install

Help new install, Db8x 20 feet in the air, Wingard 8700 preamp.
Six ft. RG6/U from antenna to preamp, 25 ft. rg6/u from preamp to double grounding block( 1 FM antenna, 1 TV antenna , five ft. to preamp power, 4 splitter for to TV. Grounded from block to buried elec. service rod.

Tested with new 100ft RG6/u from splitter to 1 TV for signal strength/channel strength.

Equipment recommended by Solidsignal tech. Did have 1 TV in the garage hooked to Clearstream C2 mounted in the garage had hoped to increase channels by mounting outside. Y-mount outside two 10 ft poles.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46ae5e15e0c773
KJac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Sep-2013, 8:30 PM   #2
phone man

Which stations are you having difficulty with and what direction are you pointing your antenna? To clarify, you're using a Antennas Direct DB8 antenna?
You mentioned a 100' length of RG6 beyond the four way splitter. Is this the your longest coax run?
phone man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Sep-2013, 8:53 PM   #3
KJac

phone man

The 100' of RG6/u was used as a test coax from the splitter to the Sony tube TV connected to a box in the garage. My coax was installed when the house was built, the longest run is about 70' from the splitter to the farthest bedroom. The antenna is facing North. The C2 in the garage is aimed to the south, just trying to figure out why with just a small antenna mounted in the garage receives the same amount of signals/channel as one mounted outside 20'. I ran the same 100' coax to the TV in my master bedroom to flat screen Sharp. Presently all 4 outlets all in the house, family room, 3 bedrooms connect to DirecTV.
Old 28-Sep-2013, 9:54 PM   #4
phone man

Assuming you have a reasonably clear view in all directions and you're going to use a roof mounted antenna and your goal is to pick up the nearest major networks...

I would use a smaller antenna with a wider beam like the one you had in your garage , aim it to the southeast and see if your PBS and CBS stations are able to be picked up thru the backside of the antenna. I have no experience with the C2 regarding upper VHF abilities since your Fox affiliate is broadcasting on real channel 9, but there's plenty of signal in the air and it might be just fine.
Even with a four way splitter and 70' of good RG6 coax there should be plenty of signal arriving at the TV with no need for a pre amp.

The DB8 antenna has a long reaching narrow beam which would be ideal if all your stations were in the same direction and 40 miles away.

If I'm way off on this I'm sure the regular contributors will help out.
phone man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Sep-2013, 11:55 PM   #5
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

To say your reporting of "poor reception" is unclear would be kind.

Please take a few moments and clarify the following:

1) Do you have a DB8 or a DB8e (we don't have a DB8x)?
2) Do you have the C2 or the C2V. They are different models with the C2V having the VHF element on the back.

3) What are you calling "poor reception"? With a C2 and a DB8 facing opposite directions, I'd expect a very different set of results for each case. Report the actual results.

Did you re-scan when switching antennas?

Quote:
why with just a small antenna mounted in the garage receives the same amount of signals/channel as one mounted outside 20'.
Ideas include:

1. Didn't rescan
2. You were already receiving all that is available.
3. Ill-selected pre-amp is going into gain compression on the north-facing antenna.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Sep-2013, 3:48 PM   #6
KJac

ADTech

First let me say if you are offended I apologize, I thought I was clear in all of my posts. I thought with a bigger antenna the reception and number of channels would increase it being placed outside and at twice the height.

1) The antenna I have is below as stated it is an HDB8x, sorry that I left off the HD from the model.

2) The Antenna Direct model I am not sure of it was given to me and I since trashed the box. But from pictures it is a C2 with a wire mesh on the back and tapered antenna on the front.

3) I donot have both antennas connected on the mast or combined. The HDB8x is outside on the mast and is a new install. The C2 is attached to garage door rail in the garage facing South.

I did a rescan each time I re-aimed the antenna.
Channels- 4.1,4.2,4.3,: 7.1,7.2,7.3,7.4; 13.1,13.2,.13.3, 28.1, 56.1

Solid Signal Xtreme Signal HDB8X High Definition Blade 8 Bay Xtreme Antenna VHF/UHF (HDB8X)
Ronard 124 Y-Wall Mount 24 Clearance (124)
Winegard HD6010 Omnidirectional FM Antenna (HD-6010)
Winegard AP8700 Chromstar 2000 Series VHF/UHF Pre Amplifier (AP-8700)
Old 29-Sep-2013, 4:55 PM   #7
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Not offended, just pointing out that, without any real details, everything is left to the interpretations of the reader.

Since you have the Digiwave/Solid Signal 8-bay, I'll defer on that one. Call Solid Signal.

The correct antenna for your area is the ClearStream 2V mounted so that it faces to the southeast. No amplifier is needed nor is recommended.

The difference, as noted above, between the C2 and C2v is the addition of the VHF element which would improve reception of your local Fox station should it be needed. Should you need it (probably don't), the VHF kit is on our website under Accessories > Reflectors.

I do not see much in the way of increased channels that are available to your area. More antenna plus an amp doesn't mean you'll get more when there's nothing on the fringe that might be accessible with greater effort. You are already getting all of your major local Dothan/Panama City stations. Mobile and Tallahassee are both out of range. There is one low power station with its transmitter at PCB, WPCT, that you might add but it will likely require that the antenna be re-aimed to a bearing of 195 true.

Quote:
I thought with a bigger antenna the reception and number of channels would increase it being placed outside and at twice the height.
Unfortunately, there is no basis in reality for that belief based on your situation.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote