TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 2-Jul-2012, 4:37 PM   #1
Hippie

Antenna Help Colorado Springs

Hi all,
I'm completely lost when it comes to OTA tv as this will be very nearly my first foray in the field. That said, with channels available like this:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...134906d7dc10cb

What sort of antenna should I be looking for? Mounting in the attic or on the roof should be possible, and I'm 90% sure the skies nw and sw are unobstructed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Hippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Jul-2012, 4:58 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

Roof mounting gives you access to the best quality signal. However, you have plenty of strong, easy to receive signals coming from a common direction, which makes attic mounting a very viable option.

An Antennacraft HBU-33 is worth considering. If you mount it in the attic but find reception unreliable, the HBU-33 can be folded back down, allowing it to be moved outside with little risk of damage.

If you know you are going to roof mount for sure (the best option) consider the Winegard HD7694P

In either case aim at about 195° per a compass, then adjust the aim point for peak signal from there.

If you go with outdoor mounting, either antenna will deliver plenty of signal power. An amplifier should not be needed even if you split to four sets, maybe more.

Sorry to see the wildfire damage on the news, you and your neighbors are cared for...

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Jul-2012, 5:43 PM   #3
Hippie

Thank you so much for the help. I'm pretty sure I will roof mount so the winegard antenna looks like a good bet. Is there any reason to go with one model over the other? I'm looking here at the HD7694P, HD7696P, HD7698P, etc.

Also, is it unreasonable to think that with a little work I might be able to tune in the denver stations? (all those to the nw)
Old 2-Jul-2012, 6:29 PM   #4
signals unlimited

DTV reception advise and systems design

Yes...To receive Denver stations use the HD7698P above your roof, aimed to 328 degrees magnetic. Just below the 7698 mount a Terk HDTVo or an RCA ANT751 antenna aimed to 191 degrees.

You will need to run seperate coax for both of these antennas and an A/B switch. Radio Shack sells an A/B switch that operated with a remote control. That will allow you to easily switch between your locals and the Denver stations.

If you are using multipul sets, you can install the A/B up-stream from the splitter, or you will need both coax and A/B switches at all locations.

Another way would be to use the HD7698 antenna and a rotor Channel Master 9215 rotor.
signals unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Jul-2012, 6:31 PM   #5
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Based on the report, reception of most of the Denver stations most of the time would be expected with a deep-fringe channel 7-51 system with an overload-tolerant pre-amp provided you can get a clear view in that direction.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Jul-2012, 6:41 PM   #6
signals unlimited

Before you try the second antenna/A/B setup you could just mount the 7698 aimed to Denver. This may receive the strong locals from the rear of the antenna.
If not then add the second antenna or rotor.
Old 2-Jul-2012, 7:17 PM   #7
Electron

ALL questions and answers about broadcast tv reception and More.

A Simple reception situation.

Many , many , many , many , Tv stations/channels will be received.

Aim a Antenna Craft HBU22 antenna at about 326 degree magnetic compass north west toward Denver for reception of some Denver Tv stations.

Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html

The local Colorado Springs Tv stations are VERY STRONG at your location.

The HBU22 is Not a very directional antenna and that is very good for your reception situation.

It means that the VERY STRONG Colorado Springs Tv stations will be received through the back angle of the HBU22.

And the forward gain/reception at the front of the HBU22 antenna will improve the receivable Denver stations.

A amplifier will not be required for 1 or 2 Tv's connected.

For 3 or 4 Tv's connected use a Channel Master CM3414 distribution amplifier.

For reception of the Colorado Springs Tv stations (only) with the HBU22 pointed at about 195 degree magnetic compass , no amplifier is required for 1 thru 4 Tv's connected.

Here are some above the roof antenna mounts , http://www.ronard.com/909911.html , http://www.ronard.com/34424560.html , http://www.ronard.com/ychim.html , More mounts at , http://www.ronard.com.

Buy the ronard antenna mounts at solidsignal by typing the word ronard in the solidsignal search box.

Here are places to buy antennas and etc. , http://www.solidsignal.com , http://www.antennacraft.net , http://www.channelmasterstore.com , http://www.amazon.com

Last edited by Electron; 3-Jul-2012 at 1:34 AM.
Electron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Jul-2012, 7:46 PM   #8
Electron

Common Low Priced Splitters for more then one Tv connections , the ones at Home Depot or Lowes will work fine for your reception situation.

No requirement to get the super whiz bang gold plated , super HD , Big Dollars , splitters.

The Tv/s Must scan for the Broadcast Tv Channels sometimes named the 'Air Channels' or 'Antenna Channels' in the the Tv setup menu because the broadcast tv transmissions travel through the air from the transmitting antenna to the receiving antenna.

Do Not scan for cable tv channels.
Old 2-Jul-2012, 8:19 PM   #9
Hippie

Thank you, thank you, thank you. The response from the community here has blown me away. I think to start with I'm going to try a single antenna and just see if I can't get the Colo Spgs channels via the rear of the antenna. I can always add a 2nd antenna or a rotor later.

To start with then I need a single antenna. From what you have all said I think I'm basically down to:

Winegard HD7694P
Winegard HD7698P
Antennacraft HBU22 (which I didn't see on amazon, however there was an HBU44)
Terk HDTVo
RCA ANT751

Anyone have any thoughts on what would be best?

One other thought, while admittedly unfamiliar with the situation, I was thinking there may be a way to splice the signals from 2 different antennas together (ultimately then into a SiliconDust HDHR3-US, and then to a Windows Media Center box) . Is that possible? Or would I be required to run a/b switches (not ideal)
Old 2-Jul-2012, 8:50 PM   #10
signals unlimited

I prefer the 7698 however as Electron pointed out the Antennacraft has better ability to receive from the rear, so that may be your best bet.

With that being so you will not need the 751 or the HDTVo unless you fail to receive the strong locals from the rear of the Antennacraft antenna. If that fails then and only then add the 751 or HDTVo.

Last edited by signals unlimited; 2-Jul-2012 at 8:53 PM.
Old 2-Jul-2012, 8:53 PM   #11
GroundUrMast

If you're going after the Denver signals, use the HD7698P and an Antennas Direct CPA-19 preamp.

I own both the HDHR3-US and the older HDHR-US Dual. Each provides two tuners in one chassis. However, to terminate two separate antennas will require two HDHR3-US units because they have only one antenna connection. The older design had separate connectors for each tuner.

http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=820

Old 2-Jul-2012, 9:42 PM   #12
signals unlimited

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
If you're going after the Denver signals, use the HD7698P and an Antennas Direct CPA-19 preamp.

I own both the HDHR3-US and the older HDHR-US Dual. Each provides two tuners in one chassis. However, to terminate two separate antennas will require two HDHR3-US units because they have only one antenna connection. The older design had separate connectors for each tuner.

http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=820
GUM, Is this a suggestion for two antennas? I see only the 7698P and a pre-amp.
Old 2-Jul-2012, 9:56 PM   #13
Hippie

A brief update. After much budget consideration (that is consulting the mrs.) I think the idea will be to start small but leave room to grow. So for now let's just say I am only interested in the colorado springs stations. If I aimed an HBU22 at the those stations and ran that into a single HDHR3, could I then, at a later date , add an HD7698P on the other side of the chimney, point it to the denver stations and add a second HDHR3?

And if that is the plan ultimately, is the HBU22 a good choice to start off with? Maybe a Winegard 7694?

Thank you again everyone. I'll be sure to keep you updated as this project progresses.

Last edited by Hippie; 2-Jul-2012 at 10:00 PM.
Old 2-Jul-2012, 10:05 PM   #14
signals unlimited

The HBU22 will work fine. Just aim toward the local stations and scan for antenna channels.

You should ground the coax. Order a ground block with the antenna. This will go in line with your coax. Use a #8 copper wire from that to your service ground. Or drive a 6" copper ground rod into the ground where the coax enters your home and attach the #8 copper from the block to that.

Yes you can add the other antenna at any time.
Old 2-Jul-2012, 10:11 PM   #15
GroundUrMast

Quote:
Originally Posted by signals unlimited View Post
GUM, Is this a suggestion for two antennas? I see only the 7698P and a pre-amp.
and
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippie View Post
A brief update. After much budget consideration (that is consulting the mrs.) I think the idea will be to start small but leave room to grow. So for now let's just say I am only interested in the colorado springs stations. If I aimed an HBU22 at the those stations and ran that into a single HDHR3, could I then, at a later date , add an HD7698P on the other side of the chimney, point it to the denver stations and add a second HDHR3?

And if that is the plan ultimately, is the HBU22 a good choice to start off with? Maybe a Winegard 7694?

Thank you again everyone. I'll be sure to keep you updated as this project progresses.
The HD7698P would be the antenna to try as a single antenna solution if trying for the Denver signals hoping for reception of the locals through the back. (A good idea IMO.)

@Hippie, If you're eventually going after the Denver signals, why not try the signal antenna solution. If it works, you skip spending money on a second antenna and HDHR. If the Denver signals are less than reliable with the 7698, turn it around at the locals and have more than enough signal.

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 2-Jul-2012 at 11:09 PM. Reason: Simplefy
Old 2-Jul-2012, 10:50 PM   #16
Electron

The HBU22 was my best suggestion of a 1 antenna that would almost get every thing.

You said that you did not know anything.

Now knowing that you are building a silacondust and etc. system , I recommend a Winegard HD7694P antenna that receives VHF high band channels 7 thru 13 and UHF band channels 14 thru 51 aimed at about 195 degree magnetic compass.

If you would really like to go all out , Install a HD7082P as the first antenna.

The HD7082P receives all the Tv channels , VHF low band 2 thru 6 , VHF high band 7 thru 13 and UHF band 14 thru 51.

There are currently no receivable VHF low band channels 2 thru 6 at your location , how ever there might be in the future.

As I recall a VHF low band channel 5 transmitter recently started transmitting along the front range at another location , I am looking it up and will return with the info.

I am not trying to un decide the situation , The HD7694P antenna is good for now and into the future.

http://www.winegarddirect.com

Last edited by Electron; 2-Jul-2012 at 11:27 PM.
Old 2-Jul-2012, 11:06 PM   #17
signals unlimited

Hippi...I hope that our efforts to get you the most DTV available don't leave your head spinning. All of the above suggestions have merit, but vary in difficulty and expense.

If you and your wife want a low budget solution, the HBU22 is rock solid for less than $50 with mounting hardware. The number of local channels and the picture quality will not be compromised.

You have enough good information to work with if in the future you want to expand your system.
Old 2-Jul-2012, 11:14 PM   #18
GroundUrMast

Yes, each of the suggestions has merit. You have the luxury of several 'right' solutions. Perhaps it's time to hang metal in the air.

Old 2-Jul-2012, 11:30 PM   #19
Electron

At http://www.solidsignal.com.

HBU22 $26.99 , designed for reception of channels 7 thru 51.

HBU33 $43.99 , designed for reception of channels 7 thru 51.

HD7694P $45.99 , designed for reception of channels 7 thru 51.

HD7698P $110.99 , designed for maximum reception of channels 7 thru 51.

HD7082P $70.99 , designed for reception of channels 2 thru 51.

Of the future , if you will like to go for , all out , pull out the stops , reception of the denver stations install a Winegard HD8200U All channel antenna 2 thru 51. This is one big Honkun antenna , if this antenna does not get all channels that are receivable , then you do not be need to be watching them.

Last edited by Electron; 3-Jul-2012 at 1:14 AM.
Old 3-Jul-2012, 12:23 AM   #20
Electron

From memory I knew that channel 5 was transmitting close the the Denver Metro so at tvfool I put in denver co. as the search location.

Found it , K05MD-D , Digital channel 5 , as I recall the station was first on the air in the first part of 2011.
http://www.rabbitears.info/market.ph...allsign=167809.

This the way I find out more information about Tv stations:

As an example in the google search box I type in variations of the stations call letters/signs.

I start with , as an example , k05md tv , and see what pops up.

Other variations , k05md , k05md-d , k05md 5 , k05md-d 5 , and etc. .

Two information web sites that pop up that have a lot of useful information are , Wikipedia and rabbitears.

Last edited by Electron; 3-Jul-2012 at 12:52 AM.