TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 19-Dec-2014, 4:28 PM   #1
shawnhanson

Help me get some live sports for the kids

Hello all, ditched cable a while back, but my kids miss watching live sports. Looking for recommendations for something I can fit in my limited space attic. At the center it is probably only 4' tall. There are trees all around our house.

Ideally, I would like to get one of each of the main network channels, but my focus would be on FOX and CBS.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...d243091a9c879c

Any suggestions? If nothing will work in the attic, I could look at mounting something on the roof.
shawnhanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Dec-2014, 11:08 PM   #2
StephanieS

Hello Shawn,

The good news is that you have a reasonable opportunity for success at 10'. Out of curiosity can you post a 25' radar plot?

An outdoor antenna will yield you the highest chance of success. Many of your signals are of moderate to moderate low signal strength. This means that an attic antenna will be problematic. Attic installs can perform satisfactory with healthy signals. You don't have that. Your strongest signals are at 38db in 2 - edge conditions. Once you get into the mid 20s on db strength with an attic installations reliable reception becomes less and less likely. For that, in your situation and outdoor antenna is strongly encouraged.

You have access to signals from Austin and LaCrosse. A two antenna option is the best approach to getting the majority if signals available to you. The first antenna would be an Antennas Direct DB8e. This antenna has to adjustable panels that allow you to aim them separately. In this situation you'd be focusing on two headings.

The first, magnetic 213 would include Austin signals:
KAAL: ABC, KSMQ: PBS, KXLT: FOX, KIMT: CBS

The second heading, magnetic 107 would focus on La Crosse
WLAX: FOX, WHLA: PBS and WXOW: ABC

You'll notice that I have no NBC coverage listed above. NBC WEAU is very weak and likely won't be received reliably. NBC KTTC broadcasts on real channel 10, a high-VHF channel. This requires a different antenna than a UHF design DB8e. For KTTC reception, an Antennacraft Y5713 orientated to magnetic 200 will provide NBC reception.

I'm not really factoring WKBT CBS from La-Crosse as it broadcasts on real channel 8. Due to you already having a CBS available in KIMT, the VHF reception capability is geared fully at receiving KTTC. You may see WKBT off the rear, however in this writing I am not even trying for WKBT. Think of it as sacrificing a second CBS for a NBC.

Mount on the roof clear of obstructions. How many TVs do you want to serve? Without more details I can't provide additional information. At this point though, you have a pretty reasonable chance at the majority of Austin and several of the La Crosse signals.

Chers.

Last edited by StephanieS; 19-Dec-2014 at 11:11 PM.
StephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Dec-2014, 3:25 AM   #3
shawnhanson

I only plan to use one device. It is a silicondust hdhomerun tuner. It can tune to two channels at once, not sure if that matters. Here is the 25' version, but I'm not sure I want to do that in a residential neighborhood. I don't think I really need to get both Austin and La Crosse, although if I have to go big to get anything why not.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...d2432b48519f76
Old 20-Dec-2014, 5:08 AM   #4
StephanieS

At 25', you get improvement in many of the Austin signals. A attic mount antenna might get you by with all of Austin except CBS. KIMT is right in that zone where it might or not decode due to being in the low 20s in terms of db strength with an attic installation.

If mounted outdoors an Antennacraft HBU33 orientated to magnetic 205 ought to yield you all of Austin's affiliates you seek. You may have an outside shot also at PBS, KYIN from Iowa at this heading as well.

A eave mount would work well:

As would a chimney mount:

The reason I'm steering you so heavily away from an attic installation is that they often only work well in areas with strong signal access. You have to have strong signal access to overcome the solid object you are asking the signal to penetrate (your roof). Many people even in situations with strong signal access often have problems still. This is due to multi-path, household interference or whatnot. In short, it can be a headache which can be avoided with an outdoor installation. Antennas tend to do best when they have the best access to the signals you want.

That said, with one antenna and single run of coax to the HD homerun, I can see with the HBU33, you having reliable reception of all Austin affiliates.

Cheers.
Old 20-Dec-2014, 12:47 PM   #5
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Being in an attic in a building surrounded by trees will probably never be 24/7/365 reliable. You will be at the mercy of the trees as to whatever signal they might allow through which will vary with the season and the local weather conditions. Wet and windy weather when the trees are in full leaf will be your worst condition. Putting the antenna in the attic will only exacerbate the problem.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.

Last edited by ADTech; 20-Dec-2014 at 12:50 PM.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Dec-2014, 1:01 PM   #6
shawnhanson

I am starting to feel like I might be a bit of a lost cause. I can't use either of mounting methods above as I have a hip style roof and no chimney. My house is also a single story house. I think my only option to get above the trees would be a free standing tower which would be odd in the middle of town.
Old 20-Dec-2014, 1:25 PM   #7
timgr

You can use a roof bracket and guy wires, or a tripod. Take a look at the mounts here - http://www.antennapartsoutlet.com/

My installation with a roof bracket and guy wires -

timgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Dec-2014, 5:30 PM   #8
StephanieS

There are tree mounting methods such as found here. No tower cost and can be fairly unobtrusive. The trick is installation as I've read taking off the top 5' of the tree to mount may put you up 50 - 100' in the air. The positive there is that you'll improve signal access even more with the increased height above ground.

Best of luck whatever direction you go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnhanson View Post
I am starting to feel like I might be a bit of a lost cause. I can't use either of mounting methods above as I have a hip style roof and no chimney. My house is also a single story house. I think my only option to get above the trees would be a free standing tower which would be odd in the middle of town.
Old 20-Dec-2014, 6:40 PM   #9
Stereocraig

A tripod, will conform to any roof, from flat to 12/12.

They are also hinged, to allow tipping over to work on.

They are available in 2, 3, 5 and 10' lengths.
Add a 10' chain link top rail and you're starting to approach free standing tower height.
Stereocraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Dec-2014, 9:17 PM   #10
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnhanson View Post

Ideally, I would like to get one of each of the main network channels, but my focus would be on FOX and CBS.
Try an HBU-55 aimed at 208 degrees. The second step is an TVPRAMP-1R preamp. If you are not happy with the results, then move it to the roof using an eave mount or a wall mount below the eave.

The addition of a Y5-7-13 aimed at 81 degrees would allow for your Silicon Dust tuner to find two CBS stations without re-aiming or re-configuring anything. The VHF/UHF combining would done in a channel 8 Jointenna. http://www.channelmasterstore.com/JO..._p/cm-0578.htm

The advantage of two CBS stations is that WKBT may air different NFL games than KIMT. Here's an example from November 9, 2014. http://506sports.com/nfl.php?yr=2014&wk=10

This plan works well for a Vikings fan. Yet if you wanted the Packers, you'd need an antenna to pick up WLAX. http://506sports.com/nfl.php?yr=2014&wk=16

Last edited by Tower Guy; 20-Dec-2014 at 9:36 PM.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Dec-2014, 12:31 PM   #11
shawnhanson

Thanks everyone for your help.