TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 10-May-2010, 7:36 PM   #1
bcappell

Rural Michigan OTA reception

I need help determining what type of antenna to install. I have a Wingard "square Shooter' installed on my single story roof that is not doing the trick. I have 3 tv's all in a range of 30-50 feet from the antenna. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Following is the link to the report from TV Fool.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...cd7293f01ed2b3
bcappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-May-2010, 2:54 PM   #2
Tigerbangs
TV Reception Maven

Send a message via AIM to Tigerbangs Send a message via Yahoo to Tigerbangs
You have many stations available to you if you install the right antenna: you will need a deep-fringe antenna mounted on the roof along with a preamplifier and a rotator if you want to see the Detroit stations. Rather than just throwing equipment at you: what are you really interested in receiving?
Tigerbangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-May-2010, 5:29 PM   #3
LovesTheOTA

Only 13ft in height? Some more height will help too.
LovesTheOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-May-2010, 8:46 PM   #4
teleview

Lightbulb Tv reception

My suggestion is channels 31 , 34 , 40 , 36 , 51 , 10 , 38.
Old 12-May-2010, 10:36 PM   #5
bcappell

bcappell

Thanks for the feedback all. I am really interested in a solid reception of the basic network stations, PBS, etc. If I could have 31,51,10,38,36 and even 5 & 40 too I would be ecstatic!

I was thinking of a multi-directional antenna to avoid having to install a rotor (not the most handy).

If you all could point me in the direction of an adequate unit and a good dealer that would be fantastic. This journey to digital has been long and trying!
bcappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-May-2010, 9:33 AM   #6
teleview

Lightbulb Tv reception

Need to get the antenna up high on the roof , no trees in the way of reception. A tripod antenna mount is the best. I suggest a Winegard HD 7082P Tv antenna and a Winegard Preamp AP 8700. Go to the >>START Maps<< part of tvfool. Move the antenna from UHF 31 to UHF 44 and points in between to see which group of channels come in the best 31,34,40,36,38,10,51 or 44,38,10,51,34,40,36. . . . Channel 5 to the south may very well come in on the back side of the antenna , it is a strong signal at your location. http://winegardtvantennas.com . . Use a three way splitter to the Tv's.

Last edited by teleview; 13-May-2010 at 9:41 AM. Reason: Spelling corrections and update/clarify information.