TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 8-May-2015, 1:25 PM   #41
NapMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
No, not always. What counts is the signal path. If lowering the antenna allows a better line of sight than the higher location, then the lower location may well work better, especially when the transmitters are close enough that the earth's curvature isn't yet much of a factor. If the higher location puts the antenna behind a more dense tree obstruction, for example, then the higher location probably won't help. There's also the possibility of a favorable ground bounce providing additional signal for a low-mounted antenna, but that phenomenon isn't likely to occur in a residential area.
I see. I had no idea it was so complicated. I'm not giving up yet. That's why I have a Hulu subscription and use services like PlayOn. If I can't watch my shows the same night I can catch them the next day.

What do you think about rickbb's suggestion about removing the reflector? Since I have stations coming in from nearly opposite directions, might that make the antenna less directional?
NapMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-May-2015, 1:37 PM   #42
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Removing the reflector on a DB4e will make the antenna strictly bi-drectional. It will receive equally in both directions on UHF. I often recommend this step when I feel it's a useful step to take.

If you can currently aim the antenna in the correct direction for the TV station of interest and its reception is reliable, then a bi-directional antenna MAY work okay. TANSTAAFL, after all. However, if the antenna is already aimed in the direction of the station and reception is not reliable, making the antenna bi-directional is most likely adversely affect reception.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-May-2015, 1:59 PM   #43
NapMan

Quote:
Removing the reflector on a DB4e will make the antenna strictly bi-drectional. It will receive equally in both directions on UHF. I often recommend this step when I feel it's a useful step to take.

If you can currently aim the antenna in the correct direction for the TV station of interest and its reception is reliable, then a bi-directional antenna MAY work okay. TANSTAAFL, after all. However, if the antenna is already aimed in the direction of the station and reception is not reliable, making the antenna bi-directional is most likely adversely affect reception.

I think I'd like to try removing the reflector. I can't remember, is it fairly easy to take off and re-attach, if necessary? Unfortunately it rained and stormed here all weekend so I wasn't able to go on the roof.

Right now the station I'm having the most trouble is the CBS station, which is in the opposite direction of where the antenna is pointed now. Last night I pulled out my small Winegard antenna and pointed it at the direction of the CBS station from within my house and it came in crystal clear. So if that small antenna, in my living room, is picking up CBS perfectly, I am thinking maybe the reflector is interfering with the signal on the DB4e. On the DB4e CBS was completely unwatchable last night.
Old 11-May-2015, 2:02 PM   #44
rickbb

I've not used the DB8e, but from what I understand you drill out the rivets holding the reflector on to remove it. To reattach it you use small sheet metal screws where the rivets used to be.
rickbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-May-2015, 2:14 PM   #45
NapMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickbb View Post
I've not used the DB8e, but from what I understand you drill out the rivets holding the reflector on to remove it. To reattach it you use small sheet metal screws where the rivets used to be.
Maybe I should have gone with a less directional antenna? Of course, I don't know yet whether removing the reflectors will help. I guess there's also a chance it will weaken the reception in the other direction (where the reflectors are pointing).
Old 15-Jun-2015, 6:28 PM   #46
NapMan

Quote:

I'm back again!

I finally tried raising the DB4e a bit higher on the roof and I'm still having reception problems from the CBS station, coming from the NE.

I'm pretty sure that when we pointed the antenna in the NE direction the CBS station came in great but the ABC from the SW was coming in bad.

If I can point the antenna at the NE and get the CBS and the FOX/NBC networks fine (but ABC bad), then point it at the SW and get the ABC network fine (but CBS bad) does it sound like removing the reflectors would be a good idea?
Old 16-Jun-2015, 1:14 PM   #47
rickbb

Quote:
Originally Posted by NapMan View Post
does it sound like removing the reflectors would be a good idea?
You won't really know until you try it. I have a DIY M4 with no reflector and get channels from both the front and back just fine. It works best when the 2 directions are 180 degrees apart, similar to what you have.
rickbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Jun-2015, 12:01 AM   #48
NapMan

I'm happy to report that I removed the reflectors today and right now I'm getting all the local stations as clear as a bell. I'm really hoping it stays this way.

I checked the signal before I did it and the CBS station was unwatchable. I rotated the antenna so it was pointing in the direction of the CBS tower and it came in clearly, but the ABC station was terrible.

So I took off the reflectors and everything is fine. I'm very happy right now!

I really appreciate all the help from this forum. Thanks so much.