TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 7-Jul-2014, 11:34 PM   #1
farside847

New Antenna installation options

Hi guys! I am looking at installing my first antenna. I ran the TVfool report:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e1c6cbe0b3d5b4

I would like to try and get my main local channels before football season starts These include channels 2, 4, 5, 7 , 9 and 11 (I am trying to figure out the callsigns but they are confusing me a bit.)

It seems that I am pretty far off from any broadcasting tower, 60 miles, so I have been googling for long range antennas. I found a few that seem to have good reviews: Mohu Air, DB8e, Clearstream4 and even one from SF Cable that looks like a laserbeam :O

I am still learning, but it looks like I may have two tower options, one to the north and one to the south. I am not sure which one may be the best.

I am also wondering about installation options. I have a 2 story house with an attic, and I would prefer to install the antenna in the attic if possible to avoid getting on the roof. But if I really need to I guess I can borrow a 30 foot ladder and try to install it up there. Maybe one of those antenna mounts that can be bolted to the big wood eves? I have a tile roof and a stucco chimney with solar panels on top.

Anyway, I would love so hear what you experts suggest on what channels you think!
- what channels might I be able to get?
- what tower should I aim for?
- what is the best antenna/amp to use?
- attic or eave mount?
- does solar interfere with attic or roof mount?

thank you!
farside847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-Jul-2014, 5:56 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

Reception of the signals south of your location is going to be far easier than those to the north.

If I was in your situation, I'd try the combination of an Antennas Direct DB8E + Antennacraft Y10713 + RCA TVPRAMP1R preamplifier. I'd expect to see a few of the San Fransico signals when the Y10713 was pointed in that direction. You may not have much success receiving any UHF from San Fransisco though.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-Jul-2014, 10:55 PM   #3
farside847

Thank you so much for your reply! Sadly it looks like the signals from the south are in another region and will not have my 49ers

How can I tell what channels are UHF?

thanks!
farside847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Jul-2014, 6:08 PM   #4
GroundUrMast

Look at the column on your TV Fool Report labeled "Real" (under "==Channel=="). UHF channels are numbered 14 and higher.

The antenna has no awareness of the virtual channel. Only the tuner and TV decoding circuits make use of the virtual channel information so that more than one program can be carried on a real channel.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote