TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 28-Aug-2014, 9:22 PM   #1
VCool

Antenna advice in South Tulsa (report link included)

Hi all, cord cutting is coming up as soon as I get all of this squared away. I want to do an antenna in the attic that gets channels 2 on up through the UHF.

I went to the only local store other than Radio Shack that I could find that carried the bigger antenna's. They recommended I buy a Winegard HD-1080 that they sell for $99.99 and that it would pick up everything around here that I need.

I looked online and it appears that suggested retail for that model is $69.99(sent it for much less on Amazon) and isn't rated to pickup channels 2-6? Are there different version of that model or are they jacking up the price? I tried calling Winegard but they didn't answer the phone or return calls.

So, I'm not sure that is the best option or because I'm in the Tulsa metro that I will pick up 2-6 anyway?

Full brick home with standard asphalt shingles if that helps. Here is my report and I really appreciate the help!

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...ec2f9a37048dee
VCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Aug-2014, 10:13 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

It sounds as if you are looking at the 'Virtual Channel' when you speak of 'Channel 2'. This is a common source of confusion... Look carefully at your TV Fool report and you'll see two columns of channel numbers, "Real" & "(Virt)". The real channel is the only one that the antenna is 'aware' of. The virtual channel is a new construct that is needed for identifying separate channels within the data stream that's broadcast within the real channel bandwidth. Unlike the analog signal, with the DTV formatted signal, more than one program can be sent over the same real channel.

So, the HD-1080 is a good option... Other options such as an RCA ANT-751 and Antennacraft HBU-11 or HBU-22 would be worth considering. Finally, the Antennas Direct ClearStream-5 is a possible contender... Though it was designed to receive real channels 7 through 13, it proved to have useful capability in the UHF range (real CH- 14 and higher).

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Aug-2014, 2:53 AM   #3
VCool

directional?

Thank you for your response as well as the channel clarification. I have the feeling you have answered that question a few thousand times.

Anyway, the Winegard 1080 is a omnidirectional where the RCA and Antennacraft seem to not be. And, unless I am reading my diagram wrong(definitely possible), wouldn't a omni directional be a better way to go?

Thanks!
Old 29-Aug-2014, 2:56 AM   #4
VCool

splitter/booster

And, is there a particular splitter/booster that is highly recommended?

I want to run to two TV's for sure and would like to have the capability to add 1 or 2 more on down the road.
Old 29-Aug-2014, 10:52 AM   #5
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Quote:
Anyway, the Winegard 1080 is a omnidirectional
The WG HD1080 is FAR, FAR from omni-directional, as are most consumer TV antennas that claim such a characteristic. The HD1080 also has the weird characteristic of having its best VHF reception off the back, opposite the UHF reception. Data sheet: www.winegard.com/kbase/upload/HD-1080.pdf

You do not need nor should you use any type of amplifier, it would just cause new problems.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Aug-2014, 1:55 PM   #6
VCool

?

Now this is getting confusing. Based on where the transmitters are from my house, don't I need omni or am I OK with one of the one's that don't at least claim to be omni? If so, which direction do I need to point to still get everything though the yellow section?

And, why no booster? The local store recommended one.
Old 29-Aug-2014, 3:25 PM   #7
ADTech

Amplifiers, if unneeded, will either cause new problems (overload and distortion) or will if they do no harm to reception, at least waste power and money. You simply do not need one, your signals are already very strong and signal power is the primary thing that an amp can affect.

Omnidirectional antennas sound like a good idea, but they're generally been demonstrated to be heavily prone to multi-path interference which is among the worst problems with our digital broadcasting system. Sometimes, they work okay, but, in general, a moderately directional antenna is able to offer much more stable reception.

All of your main TV stations are due east of you. The other stations shown on your chart are ION, which should be received off the back of a typical combo antenna if the path is adequate, CW to the south is duplicated on one of the main stations, the rest are a mix of religious or phantom (not built) stations.

Sadly, the local store's associate appears to be ill-informed about what's needed as far as amplifiers and antennas.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Old 29-Aug-2014, 7:27 PM   #8
VCool

final amp question

One clarification again on amplification.

Being as it is going in the attic and over 25 feet of cable from attic to TV's, does it still not need amplification?

I suppose I could start without an amp and then add one if I have an issue.
Old 29-Aug-2014, 8:49 PM   #9
ADTech

Quote:
does it still not need amplification?
No.

Quote:
I suppose I could start without an amp
You shouldn't need one in any event.

Old 30-Aug-2014, 12:07 AM   #10
teleview

+=>

The Digital Broadcast Tv Stations/Channels are , Strong Signal Strength , Medium Signal Strength , Medium Low Signal Strength at your reception location.

------------

The Tvfool channel list shows most Tv Stations are , LOS=Line of Sight at your reception location.

Line Of Sight is the best type of reception.

No hills or mountains to obstruct reception.

------------

The tvfool radar plot shows the Real Channels that are Transmitted and Received.

And the tvfool Channel Columns List shows the , Real Channel Number.

And the (Virt) Virtual Number. The virtual number Is Not a Real Channel even if the virtual number is the same as the Real Channel.

-->TV Antennas Only Receive Real Channels.<--

------------

The Current Real Tv Channels that are Transmitted and Received in the , USA , Canada , Mexico , are.

VHF low band channels 2 thru 6.

VHF high band channels 7 thru 13.

Current UHF band channels 14 thru 51.

The tvfool radar plot and channel list is not showing any receivable VHF low band channels 2 thru 6.

So a Tv antenna that is designed to receive VHF low band channels 2 thru 6 is not required.

The tvfool radar plot and channel list is showing receivable channels in the VHF high band and UHF band.

So a Tv antenna that is designed to receive Real Tv Channels in the VHF high band and UHF band will work OK.

-----------

The smaller a Tv antenna is , the less directional the Tv antenna is.

The bigger a Tv antenna is , the more directional the antenna is.

-----------

Most of the Tv Stations Reception is Strong Signal Strengths at your reception location.

-----------

A antenna system amplifier is not required at your reception location.

-----------

A antenna rotator is not required at your reception location.

-----------

The Digital Broadcast Tv Stations/Channels Will Be Received with a smaller antenna that is not very directional and will receive the Strong Signal Strength of/at All directions because the smaller antenna is not very directional and will receive the Strong Signal Strength Tv Stations Channels at , Front angles , Back angles , Back , of the smaller Tv antenna , Without Rotating the antenna.

----------

The smaller antenna for reception is.

http://www.antennacraft.net.

HBU33 / VHF high band / UHF band antenna.

----------

Aim the HBU33 antenna at about 325 degree magnetic compass direction for improved reception of the , Medium Low Signal Strength Tv Stations in the 325 degree direction and the other Stronger Signal Strength Tv Stations of other directions Will Be Received , With out a antenna rotator because the HBU33 antenna is not all that directional.

----------

Here is how to aim antennas.

http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

Use a Real and Actual magnetic compass to aim antenna , do not trust a , cell phone , tablet and etc. compass.

To assist in the best reception , most Digital Tv's have a Signal Strenght Meter and some Digital Tv's also have a Signal Quality Meter.

----------

A antenna system amplifier will not be required for , 1 , 2 , 3 , Tv's connected.

----------

Here are some Above the Peak of the Roof antenna mounts.

http://www.ronard.com/909911.html. Install the 3 foot or 5 foot tripod antenna mount. 1 screw or bolt through each foot of the tripod antenna mount will be more the enough to hold tripod in place on the roof.

http://www.ronard.com/34424560.html. Instal the , ronard(4560) , eave antenna mount.

http://www.ronard.com/ychim.html. Measure around the chimney and use a , ronard(2212) , ronard(2218) , ronard(2224) .

http://www.ronard.com.
Old 30-Aug-2014, 5:18 AM   #11
GroundUrMast

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCool View Post
Thank you for your response as well as the channel clarification. I have the feeling you have answered that question a few thousand times.

Anyway, the Winegard 1080 is a omnidirectional where the RCA and Antennacraft seem to not be. And, unless I am reading my diagram wrong(definitely possible), wouldn't a omni directional be a better way to go?

Thanks!
As ADTech has already mentioned, the 1080 is more directional than you might expect. However, most of the easy to receive signals are from one general direction, east of your location. I'd direct whichever antenna you choose toward the east, fully expecting the strong signals from KTPX and KGEB to be received via the rear lobe which is common to most antenna gain patterns.

The weaker signals arriving from odd directions would call for a larger antenna, possibly equipped with a rotator... Perhaps, you would want to consider building two independent antenna systems. One simple system for local reception and the second, a high gain DX system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCool View Post
And, is there a particular splitter/booster that is highly recommended?

I want to run to two TV's for sure and would like to have the capability to add 1 or 2 more on down the road.
If you want useful gain, look to the antenna first, it's gain does not add noise and distortion to the signal.

Even if you split 4 ways, you would only be adding 8 dB of loss... The local signal strength plus a few dB of passive antenna gain leaves you with plenty of signal power after this much splitting.

However, if you simply have to get rid of some cash that you have no use for, I accept sympathy in denominations of 50 and larger.

Old 30-Aug-2014, 5:28 AM   #12
VCool

thanks

Thanks all. My plan at this point is to pick up an HB22 as they are on sale this weekend at Radio Shack and if it doesn't work I can always return it. Surely that one will work as well is the indoor square one I bought at Wal-Mart. If so, that will work for me.
Old 30-Aug-2014, 6:04 AM   #13
GroundUrMast

If attic reception proves problematic with the HBU-22, please consider testing reception outdoors... You should get excellent results.

Old 31-Aug-2014, 3:12 AM   #14
VCool

Hbu33

Radio Shack had sold out of the 22 so the guy made me a good deal on a 33. Should know before the weekend is out.
Old 1-Sep-2014, 9:23 PM   #15
VCool

I just laid the 33 in the attic and got everything off of my report in yellow with full or near full strength signal!

Thanks to everyone for the help!