TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 5-Feb-2011, 3:21 PM   #1
rickcain

KTEN but not KXII or K35CU

I have a U8000 with AP-8700 preamp and can get KTEN fairly well with some careful aiming. I can't get KXII or K35CU though even though they're closer.

All 3 stations are in purple fringe area so I know its a longshot with any of them.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...3cf48577a3eb2e

Everything in green and yellow zone I can get no problem, I don't even have to worry about the direction I point my antenna for those.
rickcain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Feb-2011, 5:24 PM   #2
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

K35CU, if it's on the air, is probably getting clobbered by adjacent channel KCHA.

KXII will not be receivable with a UHF antenna such as you have. You will need a deep-fringe high-VHF antenna plus steep FM filtering to pull that one out. You're also likely getting strong adjacent channel interference from KETA.

Neither look likely or promising.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Feb-2011, 5:25 PM   #3
GroundUrMast

Generally, higher is better... all three are edge path shots, prone to varied propagation.

All three are effected by adjacent channel interference... You may need more directivity and / or higher F/B ratio.

KXII is on VHF 12. The U8000 is cut for support of CH 14 and up.

(ADTech types faster than me... but we generally agree )

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 5-Feb-2011 at 5:28 PM.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Feb-2011, 8:12 PM   #4
No static at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
Neither look likely or promising.
I agree.They are both too weak for reliable reception.
No static at all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Feb-2011, 9:09 PM   #5
rickcain

So even with the addition of a YA-1713 it doesn't look good eh?
Old 5-Feb-2011, 9:52 PM   #6
No static at all

Given the distance, noise margin & adjacent channel 13 @180° it doesn't look promising to me.
No static at all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Feb-2011, 10:33 PM   #7
John Candle

Tv Antennas and Reception

It looks like It looks like K35CU is a repeater for KSBI , KSBI is a nice strong signal.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-Feb-2011, 3:29 AM   #8
John Candle

Ok I have read your other posts so I know that you like to go after those hard to get signals. You know about the XG91 and you know how to find VHF long distance antennas. For maximum signal transfer and shielding from unwanted interference , RG-11 quad shield coax , grounded using a coax ground block connected to a good ground. And one of these ultra low noise amplifiers mounted close to the antenna. http://www.kitztech.com , http://www.researchcomms.com/hdtv.html , and you know that the antenna/antennas can not be connected to your main antenna. You will need a mulitpul antenna switcher like one of the remote control RF Switchers at http://www.tinlee.com , or you can switch antennas by connecting and disconnecting coax cables.

Last edited by John Candle; 7-Feb-2011 at 5:44 AM.
Old 7-Feb-2011, 4:11 AM   #9
rickcain

Well I like getting KTEN because it has 3 channels (10.1,10.2,10.3) and only one is a repeat of NBC which I can get locally on KFOR. I guess I will have to be content with getting that. So many of my local channels are religious in nature so while I get a lot of channels, not very many cater to my viewing habits.
Old 7-Feb-2011, 4:37 AM   #10
GroundUrMast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickcain View Post
So even with the addition of a YA-1713 it doesn't look good eh?
In theory you could gang two or four Y10713's, for maybe 4 dB additional gain. http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=1024 On paper you would be at roughly 15 dB of NM. As already mentioned, you could still need commercial quality filtering and amplification. When all is said and done, you need to be willing to become a dealer in slightly used Y10713's if you can't make it work.

If you are really interested, also look into how high a tower would be required to get a decent NM.

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 7-Feb-2011 at 4:45 AM.
Old 8-Feb-2011, 1:19 AM   #11
John Candle

You do live in the bible belt.
Old 20-Oct-2011, 3:09 PM   #12
rickcain

Sorry to dredge up old threads, but I was able to get KTEN easily now with an MXU-59, no amp necessary. I got a YA-1713 and am going to see if I can get KXII or maybe KOED tonight with a preamp . My setup's getting complicated but its close to perfection, 48 channels, going for 50+. The U8000 is now just used to pick up the local towers up north.

I ran continuous quad shield coax, new compression fittings, and routed everything back to the junction box in the closet. I got rid of all the splices and every bad wire run the old DirecTV installer put in. Its amazing what an incompetent installer can do to house coax. I must have spent 4 hours in the attic trying to figure out what he had done.

I'm planning to add FTA soon, so now that the wire plant is all in good order, its not a big deal to add one more run of coax to the junction box, put in a multiswitch, and route my combined signals to all outlets.
Old 20-Oct-2011, 3:34 PM   #13
GroundUrMast

Do you see K35CU or has it been confirmed 'not on the air'?

Quote:
Its amazing what an incompetent installer can do to house coax.
Indeed.