TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 15-Nov-2011, 8:29 PM   #1
erilidon

Problems with splitting

My Report: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...ec12d6ee8a50fe

I have a RCA ANT806 installed in the attic. When I connect just one tv to it all is good and I get all the channels I want: 2,5,11,17,36,46,69

However I am wanting to connect it to another TV now and eventually a third.

The RCA ANT806 comes with some sort of amplifier that the directions say is supposed to go into the back of the TV. (I don't know much about any of this.)

What I have tried to do is just run the antenna to a splitter and then from the splitter to two tvs. That didn't work at all. Then I put the amplifier that came with the antenna in front of the splitter and that kinda worked but most channels were choppy or not functional.

I have also tried the amp directly into the back of my tv after splitting it in the attic, that just didn't work at all.

The antenna is just about in the center of both the TVs and the cable runs are no more than 30 feet. The third TV that I have not tried because I cant get the two to work is about a 100foot run.

So what do I need to do to get the signal properly split? I am thinking I need some sort of proper amplifier.

Thanks and let me know if you need any more information.
erilidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Nov-2011, 11:08 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

If you were asking for a recommendation for a new antenna, I would not have suggested the ANT-806 or any other amplified antenna. The signals at your location are powerful enough to be received and split to several sets with no amplifier needed. Amplifiers can be overwhelmed by powerful local signals.

The ANT-806 is like many amplified antennas, the actual amplifier circuit is built into the antenna. The device that plugs into the wall is only the power supply. If the power supply is not connected correctly, the amplifier inside the antenna will block almost all signals.

When you connected the 'output' of the power supply to the input port of your splitter, you were sending power up to the antenna so it began passing signal. This configuration was correct and should allow you to feed multiple sets.

Were any of the splitter output ports empty, nothing connected? Are the cables factory made or did you install the connectors on the cut length of cable?

You have described symptoms that could have one or more cause:

The antenna may not be aimed correctly.
The attic construction may be blocking so much signal that reliable reception is difficult.
One or more cable may have a poor connection.
Unterminated splitter ports may be causing signal to reflect inside the cables resulting in a form of multipath interference.
There could have been confusion as to which of the splitter ports is the 'input'. Connecting the source coax to a splitter output port will result in much weaker signal reaching the other output ports.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 15-Nov-2011 at 11:10 PM.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Nov-2011, 11:18 PM   #3
erilidon

Thanks for the fast response. The cables were already in the attic from the previous owners satellite. I did however cut them sorter in the attic and make new ends. I assumed I did this correctly by testing the connections one at a time to the antenna and getting a good clear signal.

As I have stated when just one TV is hooked up all is good. No matter which TV it is.

The main reason I got that antenna was that it was on clearance. I got it for 19.99. Cheap.

I am assuming that it is aimed correctly also as it does work on one TV at a time, without the amp.

I am using a Monster 2.0GHz splitter. There is one input and two outputs. So they are all filled and I have made sure that it is done correctly. I also thought it may be the splitter so I tried another one that was installed with the satellite equipment. Got the same result. Choppy signal and some channels dont show.

Also I have my antenna pointing E-NE on a compass, is this correct?

Last edited by erilidon; 15-Nov-2011 at 11:25 PM.
Old 16-Nov-2011, 12:42 AM   #4
GroundUrMast

Quote:
Originally Posted by erilidon View Post
Thanks for the fast response. The cables were already in the attic from the previous owners satellite. I did however cut them sorter in the attic and make new ends. I assumed I did this correctly by testing the connections one at a time to the antenna and getting a good clear signal.

As I have stated when just one TV is hooked up all is good. No matter which TV it is.

The main reason I got that antenna was that it was on clearance. I got it for 19.99. Cheap.

I am assuming that it is aimed correctly also as it does work on one TV at a time, without the amp.

I am using a Monster 2.0GHz splitter. There is one input and two outputs. So they are all filled and I have made sure that it is done correctly. I also thought it may be the splitter so I tried another one that was installed with the satellite equipment. Got the same result. Choppy signal and some channels dont show.

Also I have my antenna pointing E-NE on a compass, is this correct?

I'm glad you spent less than $20

This shows how to aim various antenna types, http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html The rabbit ears diagram is the closest match to the ANT-806. Imagine that you are standing, facing ENE, with your arms extended like a bird... The ANT-806 should be aligned the same as your arms.

Old 16-Nov-2011, 1:56 AM   #5
erilidon

yup, that's how its pointed. If you dont have any other ideas I'm going to hope and assume its just the splitter and get a new one. Any suggestions?
Old 16-Nov-2011, 5:12 AM   #6
GroundUrMast

The splitter is easy to change out and not too expensive. But splitters are generally quite reliable...

I've been holding back, from suggesting that you replace the ANT-806. Before I seriously suggest that, try a new splitter rated for 5 to 1000 MHz... the Ideal brand product at Home Depot for example. The 2 GHz splitter is not 'wrong' but the over the air TV signals range between 54 and 698 MHz. No need to spend money on unusable bandwidth.

I would also like to see you try moving the antenna in the attic... up, down, left or right. Even test reception with the antenna outside in the clear. Attics can be tough antenna locations. I would like to rule out the attic location as a cause for marginal signal quality.

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 16-Nov-2011 at 5:14 AM.
Old 17-Nov-2011, 10:36 PM   #7
erilidon

Ok.. just to follow up I got everything working great now. First I tried the new splitter and got the same results. I then pointed the Antenna to exactly 69 degrees. Things got a little better but was still unreliable when split.

What did work, which is what I was thinking in the first place, was an Amplifier. I went to radio shack and talked to the associate and he and I agreed that it made the most sense. I got a 1-in/4-out Bidirectional Cable TV Amplifier. It is the Radio Shack Brand (15-2506).

I hooked it up and now it is working better than ever on both TV's. Thanks for your help. I've replaced my cable bill for $60.00. A $20 Antenna and a $40 Amplifier. Awesome.