TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 26-Jul-2015, 8:18 PM   #1
jideay

Help

I can receive all but one network off an indoor antenna. NBC (22 or 2.1) is about 142 degrees off and about 35 miles away. See attached image. What would be the best setup for the dollar that would not involve rotating an antenna? Thanks in advance!

jideay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Jul-2015, 8:36 PM   #2
Flint Ridge
Junior Member Wannabe

What antenna are you currently using? Where is it?

If you point your current antenna at your weak NBC, what happens to it and the rest?
Flint Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Jul-2015, 8:41 PM   #3
jideay

Thank you for your quick response! I have a winegard indoor flat antenna. I don't know that you can actually aim it, but I did try picking it up and seeing if I could get 22 or 2.1. Neither came in.
Old 26-Jul-2015, 9:40 PM   #4
Tim

It might be easier to try for NBC on the KPNX translator K25MK-D on real channel 25 (virtual 25.1). Try aiming the flat face of the antenna towards the SSE and scan for that channel to see if you can get it.
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Jul-2015, 9:56 PM   #5
jideay

Nope that didn't work. I just tried it. I also did a tv scan to see if it would pick it up that way...
Old 26-Jul-2015, 10:24 PM   #6
jideay

I heard back from NBC. Here's what they said: "From the Cottonwood area, you'll need an outdoor UHF antenna pointed to the north east towards Mormon Mtn. We are on channel 22, once you get the signal the TV will show the channel as 2.1."

So do I do some sort of dual antenna setup?

Last edited by jideay; 26-Jul-2015 at 10:32 PM.
Old 27-Jul-2015, 2:24 AM   #7
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

K25MK is off the air indicated by white X on red square:
http://www.rabbitears.info/market.ph...callsign=k25mk

Quote:
So do I do some sort of dual antenna setup?
Yes, if you want NBC. It's on KNAZ real channel 22, and on K06AE real channel 6.

Last edited by rabbit73; 27-Jul-2015 at 2:31 AM.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Jul-2015, 12:37 PM   #8
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Here's the email response I just sent out this morning to you:

Yeah, KNAZ, which operates as a de facto translator for KPNX, is going to be a PITA. It usually is, since they're not co-located with any of the other station's transmitters in the area.

KNAZ does operate a channel 6 translator from Mingus Mtn (K06AE), but it utilizes a highly directional transmit antenna that is designed to send almost zero signal (.0001 x 500 watts) due east, which is where you happen to reside. I doubt there's enough signal for you to take advantage of. A large FM antenna might work as a test.

The Camp Verde TV Club, about 16 miles south of you, appears to translate KPNX's signal but in analog only, if it's even on the air (K25MK).

There are several ways to approach the issue of getting the KNAZ channel 22 signal from Morman Mountain which, unfortunately for you, is behind mountains for your location.

1. Install a directional antenna aimed at Mormon Mtn and hope the signals from the translators on Mingus Mountain to your west come in off the back okay. They should, they're relatively strong. An antenna like the 91XG, DB8e or the DB4e should work.

2. An engineered solution. Use the high-gain UHF antenna (DB8e recommended) and a channel 22 bandpass filter/combiner with this antenna focused solely on KNAZ's weak signal. The signal would get combined with the signals from a small UHF/VHF antenna such as our ClearStream 2V that is aimed at Mingus Mtn.

The channel 22 bandpass filter/combiner would be a custom device and would likely cost between $125 and $200 (Model AC7 from www.tinlee.com for example.)

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.

Last edited by ADTech; 27-Jul-2015 at 2:45 PM.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Jul-2015, 1:29 PM   #9
jideay

Thank you ADTech. Next paycheck I'll give you a call.