TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 16-Apr-2014, 12:25 PM   #1
timgr

Advice on my best antenna options - Medford MA

Thanks to all at TVFool for this valuable resource!

Here's my radar plot: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...5b94826bd1e1b6

Interesting how the antenna height affects the dB losses due to edge diffraction.

Looks like I will get all the Boston market stations easily. There seem to be two other groups of stations that I might receive, from either Rhode Island or New Hampshire.

Initially I thought I would use an attic antenna, but a roof mount might be worthwhile if I could pull in several more stations.

Is there a moderate sized fixed roof-mount antenna that would pull in some of these outlying stations? What chance do I have to receive RI or NH with an attic antenna? Not a lot of room in my attic, so it would have to be a compact configuration, or a long boom would have to be close to SE-NW orientation.

Last edited by timgr; 16-Apr-2014 at 5:07 PM. Reason: Removed question answered by FAQ thread
timgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Apr-2014, 9:44 PM   #2
teleview

+=>

The following information also applies to your other post that is the same location and the questions an pictures of the chimney.

Above the Peak of the Roof install 2 antennas on the chimney so the roof is cleared in the directions of , South , South West , West , North West.

Here are some chimney mounts.

http://www.ronard.com/ychim.html.

Measure around the chimney and use a , ronard(2212) , ronard(2218) , ronard(2224) .

-------------------

Install a Antennas Direct , DB8e UHF channels 14 thru 51 antenna.

Aim 1 panel at about 210 degree magnetic compass direction , for reception of the UHF Tv stations to the , South , South West , West.

Aim the other panel at about 338 degree magnetic compass direction , for reception of the UHF Tv stations to the , North West.

--------

Also install a , http://www.antennacraft.net.

Y5-7-13 VHF high band channels 7 thru 13 antenna aimed at about 209 degree magnetic compass direction.

The 209 aim direction will receive , WNAC-DT Real VHF high band channel 12 FOX , and , WPRI-TV Real Vhf high band channel 13 CBS.

And WMUR-TV Real VHF high band channel 9 ABC will most likely be received at the back angle to the Y5-7-13 antenna.

---------------------------

Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

Use a Real and Actual magnetic compass to aim antenna , do not trust a cell phone compass.

---------------------------

Install a , http://www.antennacraft.net.

10G221 preamplifier.

The DB8e UHF antenna will be connected to the UHF connection of the preamplifier.

The Y5-7-13 VHF high band antenna will be connected to the VHF connection of the preamplifier.

The preamplifier will be operated in the Separate antenna mode.

The FM radio interference trap of the preamplifier will be in the , in/on position.

--------------------------

For 1 Tv connected use No splitter.

For 2 Tv's connected use a , Holland Electronics , HFS-2D , 2 way splitter.

For 3 Tv's connected use a , Holland Electronics , HFS-3D , 3 way splitter.

For 4 Tv's connected use a , Holland Electronics , HFS-4D , 4 way splitter.

Buy the , HFS-2D , HFS-3D , HFS-4D , splitters at , http://www.hollandelectronics.com , or , http://www.amazon.com.

-------------------------

Home Depot and Lowes have Grounding supplies , Copper alloy wire that is made for grounding and all manner of clamps for grounding connections.

The First choice for ground location is the ground of the Electric service location.

The ground wire can be run down the roof.

The coax can be run down the roof and one easy way to route the coax off the roof is to route the coax down through the eave rain gutter down tube.

--------------------------

Also with most installations , the coax is taped to the outside of the mast pipe so the coax does not swing in the wind.

A better way is to route the coax up through the inside the mast pipe and out the top of the mast pipe , the coax will not swing in the wind , inside the mast pipe.

Last edited by teleview; 21-Apr-2014 at 7:37 AM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 16-Apr-2014, 11:13 PM   #3
timgr

Great! So do I stack these antennas or put them on separate masts? If I stack them, is there a preference as to top and bottom? Which would benefit more from extra height? I'd guess you'd put the Y5713 above, since it targets weaker stations.

Your input is greatly appreciated.
Old 16-Apr-2014, 11:39 PM   #4
teleview

+=>

The picture of your reception location looks like there are few obstructions in directions of reception. That is good.

-------

Does not make any difference the antennas on top or bottom.

The way it is usually done is the VHF antenna below the UHF antenna.

And is done this way because it 'looks better' to have the VHF antenna on the bottom.

Separate the 2 antennas on the same mast by about 3 feet.

Home Depot has 10 foot , 6 inch lengths of 1 and 3/8 inch diameter , TOP RAIL , chain link fence , PIPE , that makes good antenna mast pipe. Low cost at about 10 dollars.

--------

To make the installation more stable , move the chimney straps further apart , one strap is below the other on the chimney.

Moving the straps further apart reduces the leverage force on the straps from mast from the antennas in the wind.

Guy wires will most likely not be required.

Install the antennas and watch the installation , guy wires can always be added at a later date.

Also 2 separate antenna mounts can be installed , the second antenna mount can be a , http://www.ronard.com/909911.html.

Use the , ronard(911) , 5 foot tripod antenna mount.

---------

Or second set of chimney mount straps can be installed.

Last edited by teleview; 18-Apr-2014 at 6:41 AM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 16-Apr-2014, 11:51 PM   #5
GroundUrMast

A premium solution for reception of the strong locals that are spread between south and west would be an Antennas Direct DB8E. The panels would need to be adjusted so that one would face south, the other west.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-May-2014, 4:55 PM   #6
timgr

Ok, I have my DB8e set up on a short mast inside my enclosed porch, with one element facing southwest and the other facing northwest. I got 31 channels from my first scan, and am receiving all the Boston area channels. Not bad for 8' off the ground and indoors.

Life has interfered with the rest of the installation. And I think I should point up a few spots on the chimney before I block access with the antenna.

I have another question - what about radio? I have quite a few vintage tuners, and I really enjoyed AM DXing from my long wire as a child. Is a high VHF antenna going to work well for FM? Would it be better to install a different antenna from the Y5-7-13 to add FM coverage? Or simply add a radio antenna?
Old 3-May-2014, 5:30 PM   #7
teleview

+=>

Is best to have a separate FM antenna and run a separate coax.

www.antennacraft.net , sells FM antennas.

Can find build AM antenna projects on Internet.

Radio DX and Tv DX web sites on the Internet.

----------

Yes that is a lot of Tv channels , and the Digital pictures are nice and clear , not like Analog with ghosts and snow and wiggly lines and drifting lines.
Old 3-May-2014, 5:56 PM   #8
GroundUrMast

Agreed, I'd keep the AM & FM antenna systems separate.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-May-2014, 10:36 PM   #9
timgr

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleview View Post

Yes that is a lot of Tv channels , and the Digital pictures are nice and clear , not like Analog with ghosts and snow and wiggly lines and drifting lines.
Picture on the HD channels is great. WGBH is a shockingly good quality picture ... I had not realized how beautiful the actresses on the BBC costume dramas are. I'd like to have more free HD baseball though.
Old 4-May-2014, 3:59 AM   #10
teleview

+=>

Here is a way to receive more HD channels free.

FTA-ST= Free To Air Satellite Tv.

Here are web sites to learn more.

www.ftalist.com

www.manhattan-digital.net

It is FTA Free to receive satellite Tv that is received with a Small Satellite Dish.

Last edited by teleview; 4-May-2014 at 6:57 AM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.