TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 3-Jun-2012, 5:46 AM   #1
mdoverstreet

Help with Reception

Hello ya'll! I have a friend who was looking to get some sort of tv. The friend had been living in the house for about a year and all he done was watch DVDs. I pointed out the fact that he had an OTA antenna on his chimney. He did not even know it was there. LOL! Very observant, huh? It was about 10-12' long or so. I have no idea what the make was. Instead of a bow tie in the V, it was oval. Here is the tvfool link. http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...134924ca54d8d4 I had a Winegard AP8275 that I sold him. We got it connected inside and outside. He's using satellite coax from a Dish Net satellite that he was not subscribed to that was left by the previous owners and there is one barrel connecter that I can remember having to use. From the antenna to the tv is about 25-30'. I had to use a converter box for the signal level because I couldn't find it on his TV, which is DTV ready. He gets 32(4), 22(7), 12(11), 30(16) and 44(42) with good signal strength, most of them low to mid 60s. Channel 39(38) is pretty low, but somewhat watchable. He cannot get 7(2), 20, 25, 36, or 49, which I guess is now 47. I can't get 47 either and I'm a lot closer to it than he, but that for another time. I was really surprised that he could even get that amount of channels. I told him that if he wanted to get the remaining channels, he'd have to go up higher with the antenna. He actually thought he was going to get something with rabbit ears. He also wants to be able to watch in his bedroom which is another 25-30' away from the living room tv, and the whole house is wired for tv, but only the living room tv and bedroom tv will be connected. There will be no signal going through any of the other coax. Is he going to have enough power to get it that far? He was happy to have something to watch. What do ya'll think?

Last edited by mdoverstreet; 3-Jun-2012 at 5:56 AM.
mdoverstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-Jun-2012, 7:17 AM   #2
GroundUrMast

How much higher is your friend able to go? Can you post a TVFR for that elevation?

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-Jun-2012, 10:58 PM   #3
Electron

ALL Questions and Answers and Information - Broadcast Tv Reception and More

To see if signal strength increases please make 2 more tvfool reports with antenna heights at 40 and 60 feet.
Electron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-Jun-2012, 3:02 AM   #4
mdoverstreet

I'm not sure if he'd want to go higher or not. He pretty tight, but here is the report for 40 feet. http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...13492b3ed6892d

At 60 feet. http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...1349b4d2164e8c

Don't look like much difference.

As far as connecting it to his bedroom as well, would he have enough "fire in the wire"?
Old 4-Jun-2012, 4:32 AM   #5
GroundUrMast

The AP8275 has plenty of gain. More than needed to drive a 4 or 8-way splitter followed by over 100' of RG-6.

Put a splitter in, run some coax. Neither are that expensive.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Jun-2012, 4:23 AM   #6
mdoverstreet

Like I said in the first post, the house already had coax in all bedrooms. I've just got to find the other end of the coax that runs from his bedroom. I have a splitter that I can sell him. So, I might end up making a little money.

Do ya'll agree that there is not much difference between the reception at 40' and 60'? I didn't look, but he'd probably have to go well over 100', and he ain't going for that, well I doubt anyway.

Thanks for the replies!